What is everyone using for Internet access now?

froggi

Something a lot of folks got burned by was the "happy family" commercials telling them how wonderful a satellite internet connection is. In truth there are huge differences in any terrestrial (dial-up, cell, WiFi) based system and a geosynchronous orbit based system that you really need to experience to understand, even better bring your laptop and a list of sites you must use and try them out.

Some things are actually better over a dial-up phone modem than over satellite, some things are actually unusable over a satellite link. I had a few of them that bit me, got a BamNet dialup account about 20 years ago. it still has minutes on it that I haven't touched in 10 years and they say will never expire.

http://www.bamnet.com/

Still satellite has a place in the world and it is great, or at least better then other options, for a lot of folks out there. Just make sure you don't have a better choice before you jump into it.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I work offshore, so I spend half my life on satellite connections. Then again, those are commercial systems.... It is certainly slower than my broadband, but better than dial up. Maybe we can just shelve the Netflix and go satellite TV, and use WiFi/Cell for general surfing and email. I think that would make data more manageable. Are many people using dish or similar for TV. Although, I don't know why I'm that worried about TV. We did not even have a TV in our home until mom in law moved in about a year ago.

Dish or DirecTV are quite commonly used by RV'ers, both part and fulltimers. There are a variety of portable and permanently mounted dish setups that are designed for RV use ranging from manually aimed to fully automatic push-button operation. Pricing escalates with the capabilities of course. There are a couple of new satellite Internet offerings for RV use that show promise, both are in their fairly early stages. There hasn't been much of anything in the way of user reviews at this point.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

There are lots of reasons why satellite connections aren't the best ....

In my case - my company's VPN provider explicitly states that VPN access via a satellite connection is not supported. If you're planning to use a satellite connection in order to access your day gig via a VPN connection - it would be wise to confirm that your VPN provider supports connectivity over a satellite connection before you make the leap!

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

In my case - my company's VPN provider explicitly states that VPN access via a satellite connection is not supported. If you're planning to use a satellite connection in order to access your day gig via a VPN connection - it would be wise to confirm that your VPN provider supports connectivity over a satellite connection before you make the leap!

When we were using HughesNet and the boss was still working, her company used a VPN that didn't work with HughesNet.

There were two issues. Normal mode for HughesNet (now DishNet) is using caching. VPN doesn't work with caching but there settings to bypass the caching. The result was significantly slower data rates.

The second issue was that HughesNet used the basic 192.168.0.1 as the gateway IP address. The company VPN also used 192.168.0.1. The PC had no idea where to send the packets. That was fixable because the company was small and since they wanted my wife's access, they change the VPN IP address.

So you probably can use VPN with satellite with a little more research. Many CSR support start with "can't be done" because they don't want to deal with issues.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The second issue was that HughesNet used the basic 192.168.0.1 as the gateway IP address. The company VPN also used 192.168.0.1. The PC had no idea where to send the packets. That was fixable because the company was small and since they wanted my wife's access, they change the VPN IP address.

I'm unclear as to how this would have any impact. The 192.168.0.0 / 16 address space (which includes all addresses between 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.255.255) are "non-routeable" addresses. They (along with addresses in the 10.0.0.0 / 8 and 172.16.0.0 /12 ranges) were set aside as "private address" spaces as part of RFC 1918. Typically, companies address their internal networks using addresses from these address blocks. By design, these addresses are NOT routed across the internet - meaning that any company may address their internal networks using addressing carved from these blocks of "non-routeable" addresses without risk of introducing duplicate addressing on the internet. By design - it's impossible that one local network segment (like that which your home PC is connected to ... using 192.168.0.1 as a gateway address) could have an addressing conflict with another local segment (such as an internal HughesNet network ... using 192.168.0.1 as a gateway address).

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

So no one is using a mobile satelite connection?

I do. I was surprised no one else had mentioned it much as well. Latency can be an issue, but it's hardly noticeable if you set your computer to not show images (you can click to show what you want to see), get a decent ad/popup blocker, use text only email, disable all automatic updates, and you're not one to stream media. The equipment can be a bit spendy.. around 5-6k, but the data packages aren't that bad, and it's not a monthly automatic charge. You can purchase a 10gig pack for around $125. No contracts, no expiration. Once you've used your data pack up you just purchase another on the fly. For my own usage (when on satellite) 10gig's will generally last 4+ months, so around $30 a month.

I do also have a verizon wan built into my laptop, but the account can be turned off and on pretty much at will with a simple phone call. No contract, monthly rates that can also be "paused" in order to extend the monthly fee, but I don't really use it much. Maybe $100 worth a year. Most updates and heavier shopping and such I generally take care of with a stop over somewhere or other with a hotspot en route. Ie., start the updates then go do your grocery.

You just have to find what fits your camping style and budget. Some of the above won't work for most. Ie., I have a Verizon data only account (no contract).. my cellular is a prepaid tracfone where most folks will have a voice/data account 'with' a contract.

I'm unclear as to how this would have any impact. The 192.168.0.0 / 16 address space (which includes all addresses between 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.255.255) are "non-routeable" addresses. They (along with addresses in the 10.0.0.0 / 8 and 172.16.0.0 /12 ranges) were set aside as "private address" spaces as part of RFC 1918. Typically, companies address their internal networks using addresses from these address blocks. By design, these addresses are NOT routed across the internet - meaning that any company may address their internal networks using addressing carved from these blocks of "non-routeable" addresses without risk of introducing duplicate addressing on the internet. By design - it's impossible that one local network segment (like that which your home PC is connected to ... using 192.168.0.1 as a gateway address) could have an addressing conflict with another local segment (such as an internal HughesNet network ... using 192.168.0.1 as a gateway address).

Yes 192.168.0.1 is a non-routable address but it was the address that the HughesNet modem used as its gateway. The VPN client used by the company also used that address. The mechanics aren't important, the fact that we had to have the VPN client chaange did.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

My only problem with using my phone as a hotspot with Verizon is I can surf the net and use phone for voice at the same time. When I receive a call and answer it, I am logged off the net automatically.

This is a phone-specific problem, not a general one. On Verizon, many 4G phones can handle simultaneous voice and data (my Samsung Galaxy S4 is fine with it), but, I believe, iPhones up through the iPhone5 could not. I can't speak for carriers other than Verizon.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Well, I do, or should I say I DID, until the middle of August of this year. We have used the tri-pod satellite Hughesnet for about 8-9 years all the way from the 6000 module to now the 7000S, and got along fine. We even had the "bird on a wire" so when tuned, we picked up Direct TV automatically. Then last year, we had to change satellites, then lost the Direct TV option, but we were home to the S&B for the summer so no big deal. Had many issues this summer and didn't get to travel much, but went to the lake in mid August, about 15-20 miles from home. Set up the dish, got good signal strength, passed the cross-poll, then got a message that we had used the wrong zip. NEVER had that happen before. Soooo, I went back into install, without changing the dish, changed the zip to home zip (just a few miles away), and then the system downloaded the new files, and all was OK. Tried that same thing in Wyoming last week with no luck. We are now in West Texas, and on park WiFi , waiting for a satellite to be launched next year so we can once again, hopefully, have satellite, because with our travel map, that is all that will work for us! BTW, we don't care about Direct TV, because all that is, is 250 channels of NOTHING TO WATCH! I mean, how many times can you watch "Forest Gump"? I do miss the Golf, and news channels. I guess, life is not simple. Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

How cost effective is Hughes net for you. Same as residential service?

It has been the same so far, because we have a Hughes account. We do not go through a provider. Maybe if we did, we would still be able to use their service, but then, the cost would be higher. I think the only way we can subscribe to the new "spot beam" satellite service might be to go through a business service provider, which will be more costly.

Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

How cost effective is Hughes net for you. Same as residential service?

The plans with the new Ka-band services range from $50 to $130 per month. Data allocations range from 5 GB of anytime data and 5 GB of data available from 2 am to 8 am at the low end ($50/mo) to 50 GB and 50 GB!

The biggest problem for mobile users now is that there are two satellites and two sets of equipment until next year, when a new satellite goes into service. Until then, you have to pick the areas where you want to have it available. Here is a map that shows approximate coverage: http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com/satellite-service-plans.html

HughesNet dealer (since 2015) & installer (since 2003)

StarBand dealer (2004-2015)

The plans with the new Ka-band services range from $50 to $130 per month. Data allocations range from 5 GB of anytime data and 5 GB of data available from 2 am to 8 am at the low end ($50/mo) to 50 GB and 50 GB!

The biggest problem for mobile users now is that there are two satellites and two sets of equipment until next year, when a new satellite goes into service. Until then, you have to pick the areas where you want to have it available. Here is a map that shows approximate coverage: http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com/satellite-service-plans.html

Barb,

Will any of todays equipment work for the system that will come out next year? Could a person buy both systems, put one on "vacation" while traveling in the other area, then convert to the new system and then cancel the older on next year? Even paying for the lower service plan in both systems, that would still allow travel in all the lower 48, would it not? Does a person pay Hughes direct, and keep their own account or pay a business provider? Just askin'. Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

I think the only way we can subscribe to the new "spot beam" satellite service might be to go through a business service provider, which will be more costly.

RTC has Ka-band ("spot beam") service available for $99/month for 20GB. They require an 18-month contract and you have to buy their $1000 tripod dish setup. The Ka-band service is for the Continental US only. More info here.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Raised hand here! :D

We are absolutely loving our shiny new RV DataSat, which has overcome any of the latency issues involved with previous systems (this is our second satellite Internet system). Now, you can Skype, stream, VPN (we've never used it for that though) and everything else that can be done with normal broadband. It ROCKS. Best. Investment. Ever.

For more info see our posts about it: http://www.liveworkdream.com/tag/rvdatasat/

20150912w_vinyl20-300x300.jpg

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

Barb,

Will any of todays equipment work for the system that will come out next year? Could a person buy both systems, put one on "vacation" while traveling in the other area, then convert to the new system and then cancel the older on next year? Even paying for the lower service plan in both systems, that would still allow travel in all the lower 48, would it not? Does a person pay Hughes direct, and keep their own account or pay a business provider? Just askin'. Dick T

Dick,

Unfortunately, no one within Hughes can 100% guarantee at this time, if the current Jupiter equipment will work nationwide, though the probability is that it will. The Spaceway equipment (HN9000) however will definitely not work with the new satellite. Hughes will offer an upgrade for the Spaceway equipment, when they are motivated to get that equipment out of service.

You could, indeed, buy two systems and always have one on suspension, but it's starting to look like the older Spaceway systems might work everywhere in the lower 48. While officially, only the center of the country is available for consumer accounts on the Spaceway 3 satellite, once the account is active, it should work anywhere.

The downside is that the Spaceway equipment is a LOT more hassle to point. The newer Jupiter equipment is no more difficult to point correctly than the older Ku-band equipment is.

Barb

http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com

HughesNet dealer (since 2015) & installer (since 2003)

StarBand dealer (2004-2015)

Archived