America The Beautiful Senior Pass

etrippe1

BTW...if you have one of the Golden Passes.

DO NOT under any circumstances turn it in for a Senior Pass.

The two passes are similar, but authorized under different laws. Just after I retired there was some discussion about having a different rate structure for the Golden Passes versus the Senior Pass in some Federal agencies.

If budgets get tight again, you might see something like this happen.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

The information at this link will answer a lot of questions on the "Senior Pass".

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html

The "old people" pass that I have is labeled the "Golden Age Passport"; the "senior passes" have undergone at least three incarnations in price (free vs. $10.00, $20.00 if applied for online) form (mine is a paper card that I had laminated [3 times] so it wouldn't fall apart; newer ones are plastic), and name (Golden Age passport, Senior Pass, America the Beautiful senior pass, whatever...), since I got mine almost 13 years ago.

IMO, the pass is one of the best deals one is ever going to get from the "government"; I can't begin to calculate how much the card has saved in park entrance and camping fees on federal lands over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

This pass is free if you are disabled. They do require documentation.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 4 months later...

My better 2/3's just became eligible for an America the Beautiful pass. Can we reserve a site at say a COE campground for 14 days using my number and then turn around and reserve the same (or different site) in the same campground for another 14 days using her number?

Can we reserve a site at say a COE campground for 14 days using my number and then turn around and reserve the same (or different site) in the same campground for another 14 days using her number?

Since the COE normally has a two week limit and reservations do ask for a license plate number, I highly doubt that you could do that, but having volunteered with the COE, I also know that the lake manager how heads each facility has a lot of latitude and does sometimes allow exceptions to the rules. It may be possible if you pick one of the less busy parks, but it is unlikely to work in any of the really busy ones. If you have a park in mind, call them and ask would be the best way to know.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My better 2/3's just became eligible for an America the Beautiful pass. Can we reserve a site at say a COE campground for 14 days using my number and then turn around and reserve the same (or different site) in the same campground for another 14 days using her number?

Since the COE normally has a two week limit and reservations do ask for a license plate number, I highly doubt that you could do that, but having volunteered with the COE, I also know that the lake manager how heads each facility has a lot of latitude and does sometimes allow exceptions to the rules. It may be possible if you pick one of the less busy parks, but it is unlikely to work in any of the really busy ones. If you have a park in mind, call them and ask would be the best way to know.

We've done it many times at Hickory Creek on the north side of Dallas. I make the reservations on line and we often change sites, using that date as a time to go dump the tanks and move to the new site, unless it is our favorite side (#95) in which case we go back to it. Never had a problem and never was questioned when I went up and got a new car tag with our new date.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 6 months later...

There is a move afoot in Congress (led by Rep. Rob Bishop R-UT) to change the price and rules of the Senior Pass. Under his bill, the price would no longer be a flat $10 for the rest of your life. Instead it would be priced the same as the annual pass that's available to younger people (currently $80), and would float with that price whenever it changes. There would also be an option for Seniors to buy a pass good for just one year for $20. These price changes would only apply to newly issued passes, the existing ones would be grandfathered-in. My advice is for everyone to buy their own pass the minute they are eligible (age 62) in order to be assured of getting the current benefits, in case this legislation is enacted. In fact, since existing passes are grandfathered-in for life unless they are lost or stolen, my spouse and I have each bought an extra pass which we keep in our safe deposit box just in case. There is no limit to how many passes you can purchase so long as you are eligible, and an extra $10 is cheap compared to what the price is likely to be in the future.

These changes are not being proposed for the disabled lifetime pass (Access Pass) which would continue to be free for anyone of any age who has a permanent disability. The degree of disability does not matter, only that it is permanent. You don't need to show any private medical records, you can sign an affidavit (under penalty of perjury) at any NPS or USFS or BLM office.

These changes are not being proposed for the disabled lifetime pass (Access Pass) which would continue to be free for anyone of any age who has a permanent disability. The degree of disability does not matter, only that it is permanent. You don't need to show any private medical records, you can sign an affidavit (under penalty of perjury) at any NPS or USFS or BLM office.

That certainly does not agree with what is on the application for an Access Pass. I know this is a mail in application, but I would think the rules would be the same. Can anyone verify this with a reference?

You must also have documentation that you have a permanent disability, which could include:

A statement signed by a licensed physician attesting that you have a permanent physical, mental, or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, and stating the nature of the impairment;

OR A document issued by a Federal agency, such as the Veteran’s Administration, which attests that you have been medically determined to be eligible to receive Federal benefits as a result of blindness or permanent disability. Other acceptable Federal agency documents include proof of receipt of Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI);

OR A document issued by a State agency such as the vocational rehabilitation agency, which attests that you have been medically determined to be eligible to receive vocational rehabilitation agency benefits or services as a result of medically determined blindness or permanent disability. Showing a State motor vehicle department disability sticker, license plate or hang tag is not acceptable documentation.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

"We don't plan our trip around the card but consider it a bonus when we can use it....." Quote from a earlier post. We have had the pass since 2006. We visit National parks whenever we can. If there is a discount or a perk we take it. The book is thick after 11 years and it has saved us a lot of $$$ but that was secondary to visiting the parks.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We like the WP Franklin COE in Alva Florida and will be returning there again this winter. We'll also be using the pass at Midway Campground in the Everglades this winter. Dutch 12078: We'll be at Midway January 23rd-28th. If that coincides with your dates, we'll have to say hello. It's our first time there so I can't give it a review but it looks like it will be a great place to spend few days. I almost forgot, when we visited the fort at St. Augustine, we were able to use my pass for both of us to get a discount. It's well worth getting and using it.

We like the WP Franklin COE in Alva Florida and will be returning there again this winter. We'll also be using the pass at Midway Campground in the Everglades this winter. Dutch 12078: We'll be at Midway January 23rd-28th. If that coincides with your dates, we'll have to say hello. It's our first time there so I can't give it a review but it looks like it will be a great place to spend few days. I almost forgot, when we visited the fort at St. Augustine, we were able to use my pass for both of us to get a discount. It's well worth getting and using it.

Sorry, we were at Midway last winter, but this winter we won't get any farther south than Myakka River State Park near Sarasota. Maybe we can get together another time. You never know! :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

. We'll also be using the pass at Midway Campground in the Everglades this winter. Dutch 12078: We'll be at Midway January 23rd-28th.

I agree with Dutch that Midway is a very nice park, or was when we were there several years ago. It can be difficult to get into as it stays pretty busy.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree with Dutch that Midway is a very nice park, or was when we were there several years ago. It can be difficult to get into as it stays pretty busy.

Yes, the couple of times we've stayed at Midway, we really enjoyed it! While we do have our preferred sites, I don't think there are any sites I would call "poor" by any means. I think mrebele will enjoy Midway as well. The visitors center a few miles west is a must see, and it's a bit of a drive into town, but there are some nice restaurants there. And a stop along the way to grab some photos of the smallest post office in the US adds a bit of fun to the drive. :D

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I have a Senior national forest pass and use it all the time in CA. I had heard that if the changes come about that those with one already would be grandfathered in. If not, $20 a year is still super cheap for us since a day pass is $5. We love hiking in NP's, and in CA you get 1/2 off camping; however, we won't be able to get into a lot of parks with our 39 footer. Some, but many not!

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

I've never heard of a national forest pass. The Senior Pass would allow you to use it in national forests, also.

We got into a lot of national parks, national forest campgrounds, Corp of Engineer, state parks, county and city parks with our 40' motorhome. Definitely try for them!! We've stayed in Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Rocky Mountain, Big Bend, Zion, Bryce and others.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I've never heard of a national forest pass. The Senior Pass would allow you to use it in national forests, also.

We got into a lot of national parks, national forest campgrounds, Corp of Engineer, state parks, county and city parks with our 40' motorhome. Definitely try for them!! We've stayed in Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Rocky Mountain, Big Bend, Zion, Bryce and others.

Yes, one in the same - sorry for confusion. It is only for national and federal lands. Doesn't work for state and others. In CA a state park pass is $20/year for seniors, but only good Memorial - Labor Day. That is still cheap since parking just your car one time in state park can cost $12 for the day!

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

There is a move afoot in Congress (led by Rep. Rob Bishop R-UT) to change the price and rules of the Senior Pass. Under his bill, the price would no longer be a flat $10 for the rest of your life. Instead it would be priced the same as the annual pass that's available to younger people (currently $80), and would float with that price whenever it changes. There would also be an option for Seniors to buy a pass good for just one year for $20. These price changes would only apply to newly issued passes, the existing ones would be grandfathered-in. My advice is for everyone to buy their own pass the minute they are eligible (age 62) in order to be assured of getting the current benefits, in case this legislation is enacted. In fact, since existing passes are grandfathered-in for life unless they are lost or stolen, my spouse and I have each bought an extra pass which we keep in our safe deposit box just in case. There is no limit to how many passes you can purchase so long as you are eligible, and an extra $10 is cheap compared to what the price is likely to be in the future.

I'm sure these proposed changes will greatly help reduce the federal deficit. Ha

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Archived