New high-end fiver announced

earlvillestu

• 3 weeks later...

So has the "rule of thumb" changed on the percentage of

pin weight? It seems some of the newer pin weights I see listed are "lighter" than the 20-25% mark we used in the days past.

Maybe this is the new norm....? If this is where the industry is going I guess I had better get a "large" generator and heavier tools to put in the front compartments of the new trailer to increase the pin weight. Don't like to be light on the pin and heavy in the rear. Just sayin'.

So has the "rule of thumb" changed on the percentage of

pin weight? It seems some of the newer pin weights I see listed are "lighter" than the 20-25% mark we used in the days past.

Maybe this is the new norm....? If this is where the industry is going I guess I had better get a "large" generator and heavier tools to put in the front compartments of the new trailer to increase the pin weight. Don't like to be light on the pin and heavy in the rear. Just sayin'.

If you search the forum you will see some discussion of "light" pin weights on fairly heavy trailers. NO - the rule of thumb has not changed, but the industry is - in my opinion only (and probably Henry's) - attempting to make sure that the larger trailers are still able to be towed by (what I call) the super-pickups. Like a Dodge 3500, 5500, or an F450. To do that they have to make sure the pin weights do not overload the axle(s). Thus - again, IMO - the appearance of pin weights on the lighter side.

Your range of 20-25% is more the ideal, IMO. I aim for the higher side of that since I have a truck that can handle it easily, on my larger trailers. You will routinely see DRVs (and large ones at that) in the lower range. This is bad for several reasons. One, that larger trailers are more subject to wind, since they have far more sidewall. And wind WILL have a negative effect on handling if the pin is light. Lighter pin trailers WILL react to wind faster than the heavy pin trailers. There is a very good reason why semi-trailers have loading like they do. You cannot ignore physics beyond a certain point. The point at which it gets "finicky" is very much equipment related for any combination of weights.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack; as usual you're touching on the most overlooked issue among the towing crowd.

I remember well the discussions we used to read about towing larger fivers with 3/4 ton pick-ups and single rear axles concerning the effects those side winds had on deflection of the rear of the truck with LT tires and their flexible sidewalls along with the relatively short wheel base resulting in people sawing away at the steering wheels of their trucks like someone playing Grand Theft Auto on their PlayStation.

Altering the towing dynamics of a large fiver by reducing pin-weight in a compromise with rear axle capacities is always a crap shoot. You might do just fine for a time until you're crossing that high overpass in the noted winds of Nebraska.

The more sidewalls on the rear of the truck the better. The higher rating of the tires the better. The higher axle ratings FRONT and rear the better. The higher the weight bias loading towards the front of the trailer the better.

All of those, of course, presupposes you're striking a sensible balance with ride characteristics, trailer gooseneck framing with associated strength of pin-box construction, an engineered fifth hitch on the truck that accounts for higher weights along with not desiring to tow your trailer with a Caterpillar D9 outfitted with a 60 ton stinger hitch.

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Bruce, Sandra & Scampi cat SKP#86370

Bruce, it is a difficult subject to bring up. Lots of people "get by" for a long time with what I would consider marginal situations. It is hard to convince anyone that they may have an issue waiting to happen when they have been doing "just fine". That is human nature.

Of course, there are many rigs in ditches across the country where the "just fine" turned to "Oh, crap" pretty fast.

There is no question that this is all a continuum of "tow-ability", with the end of it being the ditch. How far a particular combination pushes along that continuum does vary somewhat depending on conditions/speed. And driver skill, of course.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 4 weeks later...

I researched 4 season capable 5'ers over the past year new and used. I settled on a Vanleigh Vilano 325RL . The Tiffin family just recently started producing 5'ers with exceptional quality for the price. They also have incorporated all season living features throughout their design. The units are lighter @ 16K GVWR. A little risk knowing that they are new to manufacturing 5'ers but the family appears to stand behind the product based on reviews of new owners out there. Anyone doing their homework regarding new product should cruise their website. Or better yet, check one out at an RV show. Good solid unit!

Just got done reviewing the construction on the Augusta RV's Ambition trailer. GVWR is closer to 19,500 but has 8k axles and disc brakes.

The hardest decision for us is do we stick in the 16,000 range or go heavier, knowing we want to stay within the range of an F350 class truck. Also, as we are not full timing yet, do we really want to spend the extra on the heavier trailer up front (buy our third trailer first kind of thinking) or start off with something lessor and trade up. And, we have not looked at enough of the used heavier trailers to know if that's the route we want to take. Appreciated the original poster listing the new trailer because these are the ones we might end up buying used.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

• 9 months later...

So, here we are, over a year after this thread got started on the FR Riverstone, and now they offer a Legacy line.

I have had a look at some of these, and they do impress.

So, anyone on this forum ready to offer personal experiences with this 5th wheel?

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

I will, we bought a Legacy last August and have used it for about a total of 75 nights since then and it has been holding up very well. Have not used it all winter so last time in it was mid November, only issue so far was the gas valve stuck on the on demand hot water quick email to the mfg and was told to tap on the valve( picture sent) and a new valve will be sent in the spring to elimanate this issue. Slideout seal sagged but was replaced at the factory, also checked other slides and replaced all but the bedroom seal as the factory foreman was not satisfied and decided to correct them. Overall we like it a lot moved up from a Cedar Creek, we have been treated very good from Forest River and decided to stay with them, our other choice was a Lux or Ambition which we also really liked but for us at this price point we are very happy with our choice.

The Legacy line is their top end but the River Stone line is also nice just less options and standard equipment. If any particular questions feel free to ask or PM me and will try my best to answer them

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Dblr,

Did you get a chance to scale the trailer loaded for living?

FR claims to scale units, and place a weight sticker on the entry door-jamb, I m just curious how much you added to that weight to travel and use.

Thanks

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

dblr, is there a Forest River specific forum you are aware of, maybe one that caters to the Riverstone line?

Thanks,

Rick

dblr, is there a Forest River specific forum you are aware of, maybe one that caters to the Riverstone line?

Thanks,

Rick

Right now the most chatter is on the Forest River Owners Forum but not a separate section for the River Stone, some have suggested adding one hope in time it happens, so for now I guess just do a search there for threads involving them. I have had a few folks pm there inquiring about them.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Archived