Millenicom Replacement ?

Max Signal

I'll comment just once more then bow out of this discussion.

First, C2BB appears to be part of the city owned electrical utility. And while the county it is in is rural, it is situated between Louisville and Cinncinnati. This means that other carriers will need capacity between those cities. Fiber can either be leased from larger companies or the costs can be shared in fiber deployment. This is significantly less expensive than directly laying dedicated fiber. Plus, if it is as it appears, there is no need to generate a profit for shareholders as a publicly owned or at least regulated utility. We had telephony in this country as a regulated service, that ended in 1984. Now these companies will charge what the market will bear.

And MBC, has some similar characteristics. Its network is on the standard Washington to Atlanta corridor (see the second link below) And while the region it serves is more rural, it sits on a very high capacity corridor and the distances are small compared to the regions that AT&T and Verizon must cover.

An old version of the AT&T backhaul map is in the first link below. Look at the distances between the hubs in Chicago & Seattle. Or between Dallas & San Francisco. These routes are very long, have very few people to serve along the way and are extremely expensive to build & maintain. And also note that in all backbone cases, there are two routes to cover those hubs for protection. Without them, you have service on the coasts and much more limited and much less reliable service in the middle.

Yes, small companies that have the option to cover a smaller region have the opportunity to keep their costs down because of the nature of the areas they serve or the structure of their organization. You won't find such a company serving East St. Mary or any of the other lovely wonderful small towns in remote areas that we love so much.

http://www.att.com/Common/merger/files/pdf/wired-network/Domestic_0C-768_Network.pdf

http://www.mbc-va.com/content/uploads/PDF/Website_long_haul_Static_Map_9-6-2013.pdf

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"These routes are very long, have very few people to serve along the way and are extremely expensive to build & maintain"....the same argument the local telco gave me when I applied for service in the AR Ozarks in 1975...they quoted me construction costs to bridge the 2 mile distance to my nearest neighbor who had 8 party service...low and behold, when I became an employee, they decided I needed to be reachable to share on call duties with the other repairmen, so they brought me private line service at their expense. So, it boiled down to "who" had the "need" for service, shareholders played no part in the decision process.... it is quite different today.

Regards

Gemstone

'06 Elite Suites, '08 Softail Classic, '06 Softail Deuce.

• 3 weeks later...

May have been discussed already and I missed it. But I got the Jetpack from Huntsville Public schools and I was charged the $47.25 from the day I placed the order and not when I received the Jetpack. Found it odd that a few days later I get an email from them stating that I owed them for the next month in the next 3 days. Find that odd.

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on this program.......I just joined the forum and this caught my eye as I'm using a Sprint hotspot for $30 a month for 3G

Unlimited for $47 sound like the best deal going but I don't see what network you will actually be using. I've found my work supplied Verizon to be 1000 times better than Sprint.

The other thing that caught my eye...

The OmniLynx™ Program reserves the right to deny provision of services or to terminate existing account services if and as deemed necessary for the benefit of the program. In the event that an existing line of service is terminated at the option of OmniLynx™, the unamortized (prorated) portion of all prepaid balance(s) will be promptly refunded to the user(s).

Thanks

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

It is done as of the end of Nov according to the email most of us got. Pretty much knew that this was going to happen, but it was worth a try. We just move on to the next one that will try to beat the giant. Hard to beat the one your buying the data from though!

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Correct... OmniLynx was forced to quit setting up new accounts in mid-September. And a few days ago, sent out termination notices to all existing customers. Most will see their service shut off either on their billing anniversary date, or November 30.

For the full story:

OmniLynx Service to Be Terminated on November 30, 2015

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Sometimes too good to be true is just that.

I think in this case, it was more a matter of "Too good to last.", Barb. It was "true" enough while it lasted... :(

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived