Verizon's new rate plans

Ron

I bought my own 4G LTE AT&T and one time exclusive Verizon branded phone and after getting super slow data speeds from Straight Talk despite their claiming to provide 4G now, I switched over to Verizon prepaid. My initial fee was $45 a month and 1 GB of Data. When I signed up for auto renew they gave me another GB of data free for two GB per month and my one phone for $45.00. The new plan has three GB of data for $45 but they also want another 20 bucks per phone on the new plans which would make my plan one more GB I don't need, but add 20 bucks bringing it up to $65 for my phone and three GB. So far they have not messed with my Prepaid plan and if it was $20 for each additional phone with the same shared data, it would be $65 for adding my wife's phone to it. Even if it is $40 for both of our phones, $20 bucks per line X 2, that would be $85.00! Now we pay ~40 a month buying six months in advance for her Straight Talk account and $45 for mine with 2 GB. Going to the new system will cost about the same but she will get much faster speeds and I will, of course, get her older unsupported and very vulnerable Samsung Android ST phone replaced with a new Windows phone. I can buy decent ones for right at $100.00. Since I've only gotten Windows 10 on a test laptop, and have had no time playing with it since then with 10, I am sure as phones it will be great as intuitive for me to go to from 8.1 as Windows on my computer was for me from 8.1 to 10. I love Cortana on Windows Phone 8.1 update rolled out to me from MS as a member of the advance user group.

Why a Windows phone? Because Microsoft will be doing all their updates directly to all Windows phones at the same time like its PC software. NO waiting for Samsung to put out the Windows updates and patches later, or not at all, just because the hardware is Samsung. Microsoft sees the gross problems Android is having with allowing each vendor to put out their own version of patches and updates, in many cases not supporting all their hardware in the field with either version updates paid or free, nor patches as Google releases them. In many cases in the past years the vendors have been a year late after a patch or new version is released. he vendor like Samsung doing individual updates. I think Microsoft under their new CEO has made a 180 degree turn around of the many mistakes of Ballmer. Buying Nokia was a mistake. Keeping the name Lumia and making their own contracts to build MS branded phones like Apple contracts with ODMs in Taiwan and China like the real supply chain for all computers and phones these days. MS is committed to the mobile market and I believe is going in exactly the right direction.

My tablets and hybrids are made by Dell and ASUS at the moment although I may be going with a Surface 3 ( not pro) 4GB RAM/128GB SSD, or perhaps even a Surface 3 Pro when they debut the Surface 4, which I think will be soon. However no matter the vendor hardware used, the updates all come from Microsoft. NO waiting on Samsung to update their PCs and Windows Tablet PCs with their own custom patches if at all.

I like that idea as I owned two of Samsung's Android Tablets, the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 and then the Galaxy Tab 7 (8?) I forget which size the little one was. It took Samsung a year to upgrade us to Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade/update! Yet the other Android vendors were right behind Google's release.

The only place I can get that software assurance is from Microsoft and Apple but only with Microsoft can I run the Laptop and desktop programs on my tablets.

So regardless of OS prejudice my reasoning has nothing to do with blind belief. Everything to do with knowing that as long as there is a Microsoft Phone, MS will update mine no matter whether a Nokia or Samsung.

We have never bought a contract phone, always bought our own. My phone just auto renewed with no change. However, If I bring my wife over, it will cost the same or less, with much better speeds, than she has now. The hundred bucks for a new phone or so is irrelevant to us. I look at it like upgrading from DVD to BluRay player, hard drive to SSD, USB 2 to USB 3. Some of those took a couple of years as the hardware caught up. Or add-ons like SSDs to already bought systems with hard drives originally.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Our Verizon plan is the "More everything UNL TLK& Text... 40GB." we have two Samsung Galaxy note 4 phones and the Verizon jet pack. Our total bill is 255.02. I don't know if that is expensive or not but it is what we need. Coverage is great as is customer service. We rely on the internet for everything and we need reliable service.

The wife has two nooks and she uses Pandora radio.

I had to add this after reading Smittys post and this quote" One gent was not pleased to hear that what he thought would be an inexpensive upgrade of a phone, was not going to happen. His full price of the phone, spread over 24 months, and then needing to 'choose a new plan', really had him upset. " that is exactly what we did in February of this year.

After we did all that the Monthly cost of the new plan was 25.00 less than the plan we had.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I have 4 smart phones with unlimited data and 1 not so smart phone. Cost is $350 per month. The girls reimburse me for their share of the phone bill so I am just paying for mine and my wife's.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

We don't need more data. So far I haven't used more than 250-512 MB of phone data a month because we have 50 mbps cable Internet. I went to the Verizon store and confirmed the price. While I expect neither of us will use a half GB a month, I will get the 3 GB and two lines. $45+$20+$20=$85.00. Right now we are paying $45+$45 =$90. She has Straight Talk unlimited slooooooooow data. I am Verizon Prepaid and have 2 GB very fast 4G LTE for my $45 with auto pay. So we are shopping for a good mid level Lumia with SD card and quad core processor. My Nokia Lumia 822 is still available new on Amazon for $74.99 with Prime shipping and fulfillment. I like it but it is a dual core processor.

So it looks like we will save five bucks a months after buying her phone. I am not buying it on the payment plan with Verizon for more money. Besides I can likely find one used like new locally.

So looks like we are soon to use Verizon with Windows phonesfor both of us .

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like a shift back some, must have had too much push back from the old customers?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/29/9225291/verizon-contract-customers-can-still-get-phone-subsidies

Like the way it reads, as far as retaining my existing plan and unlimited data.

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Our Verizon plan is the "More everything UNL TLK& Text... 40GB." we have two Samsung Galaxy note 4 phones and the Verizon jet pack. Our total bill is 255.02. I don't know if that is expensive or not but it is what we need. Coverage is great as is customer service. We rely on the internet for everything and we need reliable service.

The wife has two nooks and she uses Pandora radio.

I had to add this after reading Smittys post and this quote" One gent was not pleased to hear that what he thought would be an inexpensive upgrade of a phone, was not going to happen. His full price of the phone, spread over 24 months, and then needing to 'choose a new plan', really had him upset. " that is exactly what we did in February of this year.

After we did all that the Monthly cost of the new plan was 25.00 less than the plan we had.

I'm curious Rich. I have 2 smartphones 1 dinosaur phone and 30GB with the Verizon jet pack plan from Verizon and my bill is $263.00. Something on my bill isn't adding up. Guess it's time to give them a call and find out why my bill is so much. You are quoting your bill with tax and fee's correct?

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

DaveM: Last October Verizon had a "double your data" deal, and we pay $254.46 with taxes and fees for 40GB, two smartphones and a Jetpack. I suspect richfaa also has the same deal.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I'm curious Rich. I have 2 smartphones 1 dinosaur phone and 30GB with the Verizon jet pack plan from Verizon and my bill is $263.00. Something on my bill isn't adding up. Guess it's time to give them a call and find out why my bill is so much. You are quoting your bill with tax and fee's correct?

Dave

Dave

Yes that is the total cost per month .Do you have a veterans or employers discount. that could be the difference.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived