Group buy, Smart Car cruise control, anyone interested?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I have been thinking, YES, I know its dangerous. Anyway I thought there might be a chance of getting a price break on Smart Car cruise controls kits if enough folks were seriously interested in buying them as a group purchase.

"I", am electrically challenged, I don't dare even attempt installing one of these kits but thought that if enough folks bought them perhaps someone would be interested in providing a hands on class at this years National HDT Rally on how to install them.

With that in mind anyone interested in participating in a group buy please post to this thread and I'll see if I can get something going with the vendor, also anyone who will be attending the 2015 HDT rally and has installed one of these kits or who feels they can do it and show others how to do it without burning up the car please post to this thread. Thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Which brand are you buying? I'd consider it, but only if it is the one that solved the hesitation issue.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Are they available for the 2005 and 2006 models?

On the 450 diesel it is already in the computer. Change out the wiper stalk and get one of the smart gurus to turn it on.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I would probably be interested if it's fairly inexpensive, fairly easy to install, and does not have "issues" such as hesitation.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Howdy All,

This is the product I am interested in, from the research I have done it seems to be the best unit out there, kinda spendy but it comes with some electronic unit ( software ) built in that is supposed to eliminate hesitation. Does it work, I honestly don't know as I have no personal experience with it, perhaps someone on the list has this unit installed and can give us an honest opinion.

http://smartmadness.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=360

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I am going to probably finally install my unit of the same this week. Will let you know how it goes. Brad Dadles has already installed his (yes Brad, I'm finally going to do it). Maybe he also has the "no hesitation" one?

Howdy Rocky,

Please do let us know how the install goes, the main reason I haven't bought this unit is I am scared to death of attempting the install and I am to darn cheap to pay someone to do it, Id rather buy diesel fuel and travel. :D

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Rocky, I DO NOT believe you are going to install it this week. I FIRMLY believe that you are going to wait until the rally and have me do it for you. (Maybe you will even have the upper cabinet door fixed. What has it been now 2 years?)

I installed the 451 from Smartmadness and it is not hard to do. Just rather tight getting under the steering wheel to get access. I would be willing to help out at the rally with installs. Not to worry Dave.

A word of advise for anyone tackling this job. Make sure to check, recheck and triple check the plug connections when you tighten down the LITTLE zip tie in the control box. That is the only problem I had and I did it 3 times. Good thing I had extras because they only send 1.

I have not played with the hesitation problem but the unit is supposed to have 5 different setting for performance or acceleration as I remember.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Howdy All,

I just got off the phone with the Smart Madness folks who sell the cruise control unit, they will give a discount if we have ten or more people oder the unit at one time, they are going to contact me again and give me a price. I also found out that there is a difference between the control unit for the coupe and the convertible so if this goes through and you place an order make sure to order the correct unit.

As soon as these folks contact me I'll throw another post up to let you know what the price is and any other particulars concerning this group buy.

THANK YOU BRAD, for offering to assist those such as myself who are electrically challenged. :D

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Brad's unit is the one I would want. From reading about it that eliminates the hesitation enough that it meets my needs.

HOWEVER, Brad's experience installing it makes me hesitate to do it without experienced guidance. If I recall at the time it was a pain in the butt. And I do not twist under the dash like I did when I was 25. In fact, I do not twist under the dash like I did when I was 55.

I'm willing to go in on this if a discount is to be had, but ONLY if Brad or someone else that has actually done it is willing to provide guidance.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I'll be there and I will help. Jack is correct mine was a pain because the first one did not work correctly. They replaced it. That is why I had to do the small zip ties 3 times. But if you take your time and be careful it is only about an hour job.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

I'm in, please add me to the list.

Marc

2011 Volvo VNL 730

2015 Mobile Suites Dallas - Kansas RV Center

2017 Smart

2014 Smart...Looking for another HDT ride

2007 Freightliner FL60 Sportchassis

2008 Raptor Toy Hauler

2007 Dodge 3500 Dully 6.7 Cummins

2009 Heartland Big Country

Howdy Brad,

Can you confirm that this is the unit you have in your Smart Car. I am sure it is but don't want folks to order and then find out its not what you have as many are conditioning their participation on only being involved if we would be getting the same unit you have.

http://smartmadness....&product_id=360

I still have not heard back from the folks who sell this unit, if I don't receive an email reply or a phone call by next Monday, August 10th I will call them again and find out whats going on. Thanks to all who have voiced interest in this group purchase.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

That is the one *I* want Dave..........

www.jackdanmayer.com

Dave I pulled out the paperwork I have and it appears to be the same one. My sales receipt says

Item #, Item name Item description Attribute

2434 Cruise Control w LED by M Smart car Cruise Control 451 Coupe

w/LED by MDC-451

Coupe Model

As near as I can determine by looking at the web site and my paperwork it is the same one. The price matches also.

Here is a link to the instructions manual. This is what I used for installation. Read it over and it is not scary.

http://smartmadness.com/pdf/CruiseControlV7-04.12.11.pdf

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Howdy Brad,

Thanks for confirming the unit, now I just have to get a price from the folks who sell it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

While I had the installation instructions out yesterday I read up on the settings to adjust the response at the gas pedal. I believe that is the hesitation others have mentioned. I do not notice the hesitation as much as others because I have a very light foot and I tend to drive slow. There are 5 positions of response and I was using #2. I moved it #4 yesterday and holy crap batman do I notice a difference. That is just the aggressive position. There is still a very aggressive position (#5).
Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Howdy All,

I just got off the phone with the head of the marketing department at SMART MADNESS, he told me that they would give our group a discount price on the cruise control for the Smart Car if we have a minimum of FIVE people order.

The regular price is $499.99, he said we could get it for $449.00 thats 50 bucks off and will work for me, hopefully that is enough of a cut in price to make this happen. He is going to be sending me an email with all the particulars of how to get the discount when you order, EACH person will have to phone their order in and will have to identify yourself as a member of this forum to get the discount, in his email to me he will detail how this is to be done.

REMEMBER, there are TWO different models of the cruise control unit, one for the coupe and one for the convertible so if you order a unit make SURE you order the correct one. I'll post again as soon as I have all the details hopefully within an hour from now.

Thanks for your interest in the group buy which will help a CHEAP feller like me save a few dollars which will end up in the diesel tanks. :D

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Nice job, any savings is welcome. Wondering if they will throw in free shipping?

2011 Volvo VNL 730

2015 Mobile Suites Dallas - Kansas RV Center

2017 Smart

2014 Smart...Looking for another HDT ride

2007 Freightliner FL60 Sportchassis

2008 Raptor Toy Hauler

2007 Dodge 3500 Dully 6.7 Cummins

2009 Heartland Big Country

Howdy All,

OK, here is the email I received from Joseph.

"Great talking with you early and I'm sorry it took me a few min to reply back but I do have those details you've requested below!

"I've paired up with Joseph the Sales Manager at SMART MADNESS and we've got the green light on moving forward with a Group Buy on the 451 Cruise Control! To qualify we need a minimum of 5 people to sign up for this special offer. The details have been listed below.

The list price of this product is typically $499.99 BUT if we can get a group of 5 together Joseph is giving us an aggressive price of $449.99 plus shipping! Once we've secured the 5 spots (or more) he will handle the orders for us personally.

So whoever is interested in this group buy please let me know and we'll start to add you to the list!

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT!

Thank you,

Joseph D Reyes
Sales Manager
MADNESS AUTOWORKS
2716 Dawson Avenue
Signal Hill, CA 90755
o: 562.981.6800 ext 108
e: jreyes@madnessautoworks.com"

So as I understand it heres the deal, they need (5) confirmed orders to do this deal, I an going to sign up as ONE of the FIVE, we need FOUR more to sign on to make it happen.

Go to this web site, http://smartmadness.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=226

Call this number, 888-993-7552, tell them you are part of the group belonging to the "HDT list" that has been offered a discount price of $449.99 on the Smart Car cruise control, be sure to tell them which unit you need as the one for coupe is different then the one for the convertible, tell them that "Joseph the sales manager" knows about this and to ask for him if you have any problems getting the discount.

I am making the call tomorrow to order mine. I "ASSUME" that after FIVE people have ordered the units they will be shipped at the discounted price. I am going to send Joseph a link to this thread so that he can comment if I have in any way misunderstood how to make this deal happen.

So THANKS to everyone who orders, PLEASE reply to this thread when you have placed your order so we know how may have been spoken for have an idea when they will be shipped.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived