MaximumSignal Update?

MNRon

Nice Professional Storm Chaser Review Who Just purchased Max Amp Mobile system
I will say I had this installed on Monday and so far have been very impressed. I make the drive from Kearney, NE to Grand Island NE very often... With no booster the entire middle part of this drive is 3G... With the cradles I used previously there would be 2 or 3 spots that was 3G rest 4G.. Where I live in Gibbon which is in between Kearney and Grand Island it as always 3G even with the cradles... So far with this new unit I have traveled 4 times back and forth and all 4 times the signal stayed for 4g and the signal at my house is 4G.. Happy customer so far.. cant wait to take it on some chases.

nmoore125

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to share two recent experiences with our Max Signal Amp:

1) At the Grand Canyon South Rim Trailer Village campground. At our specific site, could not pull in ATT, but my Samsung S6 had a trace of a signal. Checked that the MS Amp was on, and placed my phone at the place where I usually get a good balance of signal. (About 3 1/2 - 4' away from the internal antenna.). This resulted in no difference in Speetnet testing download speeds. I tried different tests over about a two hour period as we were doing other things. Decided to shift the Max Signal 13" Magnet roof top antenna (Very pleased with how this has been performing.) over to our WeBoost Sleek. Placed my S6 in the cradle (With my normal spacer to protect against what jokingly call the 'Single Piece Toaster' - that baby get's way too hot!). And repeated my testing. The first three tests average about 225-250% faster download speeds then I was seeing off of the MS Amp. As I thought well maybe tower contention had cleared up, I switched the antenna back to the MS Amp, and tested again (5 mins max from my last test with the Sleek.). And still very little difference in download speeds from the S6 without amp, or with MS Amp plugged in (My 12V feed has never been able to work with this unit. Gord helped me quite a bit, and I think we've tried three different 12V power feeds. None ever seem to work with the unit. So  I get the DW looking at me with unpleased eyes when I have the extension cord hanging out of our Communication Cabinet:)!).

So in this location, and at this time, the WeBoost Sleek seemed to provide the best overall download speeds we could obtain. (Over a three day period, and I did try the MS Amp a few more times over those three days. 

2) Second example, flashing forward where we are now. Prescott at the Point of Rocks campground. (We have supper ATT here, so all amps are off, and just using our MIMO Unite Explore for internet.) Verizon has a weaker signal here. So I went thru a series of testing yesterday afternoon. (And to be upfront, this was more of wham/bam test, as I had a firm time we had to leave to meet a couple we knew. All of this was over less then a 40 min period, with very little time in between tests. So for sure very much 'Gee whiz!' info, and I represent as such:)!). 

S6 no amp - Pulled in very slow download speeds over three tests.

S6 in WeBoost Sleek - Pulled in about 25-30% faster download speeds over three tests.

S6 fed MS Amp - Pulled in about 250-275% faster download speeds then the S6 no amp.

====

So what does this mean? Well for sure I did not do detail testing as I have at times, but I feel it shows how at different times, for many, many various reasons - we need to be prepared to have multiple Internet Data Enhancing Tools in our Tool Boxes. The MS Amp is a 'Love it at times', and 'Don't know if I understand it' at other times. Don't get me wrong, it is still our primary source of amplification. And I know at times, usually on the fringe of coverage, that it has made all of the difference in the world in getting a useable signal. 

When we get done with this trip, should be early next week. I'll call Gord to have him help me review things. He's always willing to help, and I've been amazed at how patient he is as he tries to explain things to my level of understanding:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

1 hour ago, Smitty77_7 said:

I wanted to share two recent experiences with our Max Signal Amp:

1) At the Grand Canyon South Rim Trailer Village campground. At our specific site, could not pull in ATT, but my Samsung S6 had a trace of a signal. Checked that the MS Amp was on, and placed my phone at the place where I usually get a good balance of signal. (About 3 1/2 - 4' away from the internal antenna.). This resulted in no difference in Speetnet testing download speeds. I tried different tests over about a two hour period as we were doing other things. Decided to shift the Max Signal 13" Magnet roof top antenna (Very pleased with how this has been performing.) over to our WeBoost Sleek. Placed my S6 in the cradle (With my normal spacer to protect against what jokingly call the 'Single Piece Toaster' - that baby get's way too hot!). And repeated my testing. The first three tests average about 225-250% faster download speeds then I was seeing off of the MS Amp. As I thought well maybe tower contention had cleared up, I switched the antenna back to the MS Amp, and tested again (5 mins max from my last test with the Sleek.). And still very little difference in download speeds from the S6 without amp, or with MS Amp plugged in (My 12V feed has never been able to work with this unit. Gord helped me quite a bit, and I think we've tried three different 12V power feeds. None ever seem to work with the unit. So  I get the DW looking at me with unpleased eyes when I have the extension cord hanging out of our Communication Cabinet:)!).

So in this location, and at this time, the WeBoost Sleek seemed to provide the best overall download speeds we could obtain. (Over a three day period, and I did try the MS Amp a few more times over those three days. 

2) Second example, flashing forward where we are now. Prescott at the Point of Rocks campground. (We have supper ATT here, so all amps are off, and just using our MIMO Unite Explore for internet.) Verizon has a weaker signal here. So I went thru a series of testing yesterday afternoon. (And to be upfront, this was more of wham/bam test, as I had a firm time we had to leave to meet a couple we knew. All of this was over less then a 40 min period, with very little time in between tests. So for sure very much 'Gee whiz!' info, and I represent as such:)!). 

S6 no amp - Pulled in very slow download speeds over three tests.

S6 in WeBoost Sleek - Pulled in about 25-30% faster download speeds over three tests.

S6 fed MS Amp - Pulled in about 250-275% faster download speeds then the S6 no amp.

====

So what does this mean? Well for sure I did not do detail testing as I have at times, but I feel it shows how at different times, for many, many various reasons - we need to be prepared to have multiple Internet Data Enhancing Tools in our Tool Boxes. The MS Amp is a 'Love it at times', and 'Don't know if I understand it' at other times. Don't get me wrong, it is still our primary source of amplification. And I know at times, usually on the fringe of coverage, that it has made all of the difference in the world in getting a useable signal. 

When we get done with this trip, should be early next week. I'll call Gord to have him help me review things. He's always willing to help, and I've been amazed at how patient he is as he tries to explain things to my level of understanding:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Give me a buzz , Have our new dual purpose  12/ 110 volt  power cord . . Should give more boost

Keeping You Connected

Our amplifier does what is supposed to according to new FCC standards. Finds signals when others cannot and turns itself right down when near a  tower . Ours sees signals others do not . Does multiple carriers and multiple devices with all getting full amplification .And much larger coverage area . You do not have to stand next to the antenna Those are things they are not testing for. 

Keeping You Connected

How does a power cord give better amplification?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 months later...

I don't get any better AT&T reception with mine. I was in Mt Shasta CA.

Other RVers there had AT&T with Samsung phone....like us. We were getting two one to two bars in 4G which would not let us sustain a phone call. But our neighbors with no booster was getting 4G with 4 bars and no call problems.

In Fort Bragg, CA.....3 of our neighbors were AT&T and had 1-2 bars, some only had 3G, we had nothing at all.

So not sure that Maximum Signal is working for us. Hasn't proved to be helpful to date.

I am currently in Junction City, Oregon, having work done on coach...I have one bar.

There are 3 other coaches here. One has AT&T with an iphone and is strongest of us all.

Another has AT&T with a Samsung and has 4 bars.

And the other is a Verizon Samsung and they also have 4 bars.

I went to an AT&T store last week to have the phone checked...they tell me no problem.

Seems like when I am in my car, away from the Motorhome....I have max signal. Go figure, I don't get it at all.

I just find that it was a big investment that hasn't seemed to help as of yet.

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

1 hour ago, Dejae said:

On arrival, always run a speed test with booster, and without booster, to determine whether to use it, or turn it off.

Some places a booster degrades service, some places a booster enhances signal.  Only use a  booster (any booster) in fringe areas.

Other RVers there had AT&T with Samsung phone....like us. We were getting two one to two bars in 4G which would not let us sustain a phone call. But our neighbors with no booster was getting 4G with 4 bars and no call problems.

In Fort Bragg, CA.....3 of our neighbors were AT&T and had 1-2 bars, some only had 3G, we had nothing at all.

So not sure that Maximum Signal is working for us. Hasn't proved to be helpful to date.

I am currently in Junction City, Oregon, having work done on coach...I have one bar.

There are 3 other coaches here. One has AT&T with an iphone and is strongest of us all.

I went to an AT&T store last week to have the phone checked...they tell me no problem.

Seems like when I am in my car, away from the Motorhome....I have max signal. Go figure, I don't get it at all.

Dan - SKP club member

8 hours ago, Dejae said:

Call me on Monday . We will go over your setup , And troubleshoot . We will get you working. As per new FCC rules the booster must turn itself down in decent reception areas. The FCC is going to get around to enforcing that I am told . If it were up to us it will be full all the time  . That is not how they wrote the new rules Where are product excels is in the fringe areas where you really need improvement . With the Digital signals you do not need a booster in medium to good signal areas like you used to . It is aggravating when others have not adhered to the new standards and self tested .Our amplifier will see signal when others will not . After all that is when you need a booster.

Keeping You Connected

On 5/26/2017 at 8:24 PM, Dejae said:

Phones differ in their reception capabilities.  Even though both you and the other person had Samsung phones the comparison is not valid unless both are the same model.

Furthermore, the bars displayed at the top of a phone are only intended to be "illustrative" of the signal strength.  Using them to compare signal strengths between phones of different types is frankly meaningless.

If you want to make more accurate signal measurements download an app such as SignalCheck Pro.  It displays the signal strength and related parameters in decibels which provides a measurement that can be compared with measurements taken by others.  Just remember that the "smaller the negative number" the larger is the signal strength.  Also, don't forget that the decibel is a logarithmic measurement so a 3dB improvement is a factor of two change in signal strength.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

22 hours ago, docj said:

Phones differ in their reception capabilities.  Even though both you and the other person had Samsung phones the comparison is not valid unless both are the same model.

Furthermore, the bars displayed at the top of a phone are only intended to be "illustrative" of the signal strength.  Using them to compare signal strengths between phones of different types is frankly meaningless.

If you want to make more accurate signal measurements download an app such as SignalCheck Pro.  It displays the signal strength and related parameters in decibels which provides a measurement that can be compared with measurements taken by others.  Just remember that the "smaller the negative number" the larger is the signal strength.  Also, don't forget that the decibel is a logarithmic measurement so a 3dB improvement is a factor of two change in signal strength.

And I know Joel knows this, but in case you do get the SignalCheck Pro (I use it, and like it.), take a 5 minutes and surf what SNR values mean to the ability to Down/Upload. Strength of DB is of course a key item, but SNR fits in too. (Think of it as static, more static, the worse reception is for say a TV. Same basic thing for say Data feeding Down/Up!).

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

First Joel, the one I previously talked about was the same S7 phone

Yesterday we decided to go to the shore. I am in Junction City Or.

Us and a Monaco Windsor both decided to go camp over night at the shore in Florence, Or.

So we did a caravan. Also with us was an Allegro Bus. They had Verizon with iphone.

The Windsor called me on her AT&T S7 to ask if we were taking 36 all the way. I answered her, all was good.

Half way into the trip, they wanted to stop and take some pictures of christmas tree farm. The girl with us was curious if you can buy one at Christmas time or if they were in bulk only.

They had a website address on their sign, I tried to google it on my phone, no signal. She googled it, no problem, her husband has an AT&T S5 and he googled it. The iphone of course being Verizon, googled it fastest. This seems to be more Verizon country here but we have talked to numerous with AT&T with same phones, iphones and other phones.

So I figured it was my phone going squirrely but no, DH had no access either.

So I tried to make a call to the Allegro, no signal. Had them call me, automatic voice mail.

But I could seem to get a text from them both but my text out was super super slow. So I have no clue. I feel above and beyond the Allegro with Verizon (cause they kind of don't count), we should have been the one with signal.

GORD, not sure if it is to late to call you. We just got back from the shore about an hour or so ago. Please email me if ok, otherwise I can try to call you tomorrow. Email jewdln@jnjpal.com 

Thanks.

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

• 3 months later...

Thought I would update on our Max Signal now that we're home and I was able to install permanently.  We're in a "fringe" area, so no LTE signal at all.  Our phones are Google Pixels with GSM sim cards and they connect to ATT 3G.  Without the signal booster we are getting about -115db.  When I enter the coach with the booster on the signal increases to -101db to -85db.  I ran a couple of speed tests....(remember we're on 3G).  With or without the amp on the speeds are the same.  Roughly 170ms ping, .15 download and .25 upload.

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

• 1 month later...

Happily, I put my money on Gord.  Far superior specs (as far as what minimum signal level is needed to get connected).  PLEASE, those considering which booster, research the actual specifications.

Plus, consider the features, such as having multiple items connected, from multiple carriers, without having to be at the antenna, and there is a clear winner, and not the one a certain paid site touts. 

Bars and speed tests are not reliable.  What is reliable is being able to maximize the available connection.

When my DW and DD do not have to give me the "I cannot post on FB look", when my customers can make one of my phones ring, it is a good day.  I have pressure tested the MS system.  Between the north rim of the GC and Utah, and during the recent fires here, when all local cell sites were down.

I recently had need to confirm something with Gord. Sent an email through their site, got a call a few minutes later. Excellent service Gord!

Note, I am getting nothing from Gord or anyone else for this post, not even free or discounted gear.  I am simply a customer of Gords, who wants to try to encourage others to do the research.  This is a several hundred dollar outlay, for an important reason.  Make sure you spend at least a little time reading and comparing the actual specifications.  If you do, the reward will be signal and connection when other products simply cannot.

Yes, my first post on this particular forum after lurking for about a year.  I had to, as I feel like a kindred spirit to Gord, as I have to compete with much larger companies who do things (to make money) which falsely make me look bad...  I have no idea how the one review site makes their money, but unless they disclose their income sources, I have to be reserved in accepting them as experts, especially when my experience does not match their review.

With all due respect Dp26, specs can, and are, manipulated all the time by manufacturers, and they don't mean squat. I've also seen lots of feel good posts here about "we bought XYZ version 6000, and our signal is soooo muuuuch better than before we had an amp", which is also most un-useful.

The only way to tell subjectively which units are best is head to head testing with another manufacturers unit. Unfortunately the only subjective head to head testing I've been able to find is locked up behind a firewalled website that requires a yearly annual subscription. If they had a day pass available it would be more palatable option.

Regardless of what the published specs are, our Max Amp RV has repeatedly given us usable 4G/LTE service in places our previous weBoost Drive 4G-M gave us nothing or 3G at best.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Check out storm chasers forum for their comparisons... They make their living chasing storms, while needing connection. The review you refer to is by people who make money selling reviews.  Nothing against them, but paying to see a review is not always as independent as others, especially when, at least not that I have seen, full disclosure of any ties to manufacturers. I personally can't consider them as subjective without more information as to any relationship with the manufacturers. I don't pay for their service, so there may be information I have not seen, so it is possible those that do pay have more information.

I believe the storm chasers don't care one bit which system they prefer, the have to use what plainly works better.

I do think it a disservice for the paid review company to do what they did, given their results can so easily be contradicted, which Dutch has, as well as others, others who have paid for and tried both systems.

Again, I am talking about no signal to usable signal.  This can be quantified fairly. Speed and bars have too many variables to be compared up outside of a lab.

First, let me state an opinion based on YEARS of testing, and not getting paid to do it. I'd guess I've done more testing than anyone else on this forum, and probably any other forum, if you count all the tests over the last 18 years.

Speed test is the only fair way to do head to head testing. Period. 

Speed is the only thing users care about.  But you do have to do the testing "correctly".

As to Gord's devices....my testing shows they work best in very poor signal areas. They do not give much performance increase in good or even moderate signal areas. One would suggest that that is the way you would WANT them to operate.  JMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

4 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

As to Gord's devices....my testing shows they work best in very poor signal areas. They do not give much performance increase in good or even moderate signal areas. One would suggest that that is the way you would WANT them to operate.  JMO.

Exactly, Jack. That's precisely what I want my cell booster/repeater to do, as does the FCC... :)

Dutch

Thank you for your succinct comment. I disagree with your statement of speed being the only fair test. Speed is controlled by the provider, not the amp - at least as I understand the FCC rules.

I also disagree that customers only care about speed. Does me no good to have a booster for areas I can already connect. What I need, and I suspect there are others, is to be connected as much as possible.

Your last paragraph is why I choose the max amp.

I believe Gord when he says his amp is boosting as much as allowed by the current regs, and that the other boosters have yet to meet the current regs. You and I both experience the ability of max amp being able to get signal when others cannot.

I lived through the CB 70's, and while I have forgotten much of the details, I was known to use a "foot warmer" so I understand the reasoning for not blindly blast more watts when the signal is already good. And, apparently, that is the rule which is now in place for cell systems.

I am not knocking the other options, but since they don't get me signal when my phone can't, they do nothing for me.

50 minutes ago, Dp26 said:

Thank you for your succinct comment. I disagree with your statement of speed being the only fair test. Speed is controlled by the provider, not the amp - at least as I understand the FCC rules.

The maximum allowed speed is controlled by the provider, but the speed at the user end is also a function of the signal quality. A stronger signal will nearly always mean better speeds up to the maximum available.

Dutch

16 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The maximum allowed speed is controlled by the provider, but the speed at the user end is also a function of the signal quality. A stronger signal will nearly always mean better speeds up to the maximum available.

I can see that point. But, would the tower be overwhelmed if all within range were boosting to get max speed? I suppose that is what prompted the current regs.

Provider also includes the hardware serving the content... and the content. Netflix HD needs only about 5 megabits download speed.

At home, I get about -110db to -116db on cell, just under 2 miles from tower. Gives me about 6 to 7mb download speed. Better than dsl, fast enough to stream. Nice backup to cable internet.

Archived