MaximumSignal Update?

MNRon

I cannot consult on how you run your wiring as far as the antenna . I was trying to be really nice and sent you one of the only prototypes one our newest project I have for your interior antenna. It will be a while before I can afford a full production . Run. The other antenna I sell for interior is adequate . This ones performance numbers are amazing according to my engineers. I will be happy to take it back and try and find you white version of the old model . My apologies for tthe imposition.

Gord I think you took my post out of text and to much to heart. YES, I mentioned the black was black but said it was the least of my issues. I don't want to send anything back at this time, I want to figure out how to install this thing so it works for me. I am excited about the Max Signal but frustrated cause I am not knowledgeable enough on how to run extra electric outlets or figure out how to fish wire around.

As Bill Joyce said, some use the frig pipe and I can do that..

it gives me I think 2 problems...One, other than the frig outlet, I have no power outlet, two....is where to put the max signal, guess I could use back to back tape and stick it to the header over the frig? Can/would that work?

Lastly, can someone tell me what is between the ceiling and roof of the motorhome for the most part? I am trying to figure how do you fish this wire through that space without damaging or getting caught on something else.

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all projects are for all people to do themselves.

I highly recommend you hire a RV tech to do this for you.

Gord I think you took my post out of text and to much to heart. YES, I mentioned the black was black but said it was the least of my issues. I don't want to send anything back at this time, I want to figure out how to install this thing so it works for me. I am excited about the Max Signal but frustrated cause I am not knowledgeable enough on how to run extra electric outlets or figure out how to fish wire around.

As Bill Joyce said, some use the frig pipe and I can do that..

it gives me I think 2 problems...One, other than the frig outlet, I have no power outlet, two....is where to put the max signal, guess I could use back to back tape and stick it to the header over the frig? Can/would that work?

Lastly, can someone tell me what is between the ceiling and roof of the motorhome for the most part? I am trying to figure how do you fish this wire through that space without damaging or getting caught on something else.

Dan - SKP club member

Thanks Ewacowboy, I think that might help alot. Just gotta figure out how the ducts run,

Straight line, front to back, side to side, down the middle and branch off to sides.

AC7880 unfortunately it doesn't work that easy...thank you

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

The ducts are usually front to back. On the passenger side of ac they should run forward, rearward on the drivers side. You may have styrofoam in the ceiling or fiberglass batts. The duct may be built into the styrofoam or be metal. Why not just fasten the cable next to the trim where the wall and ceiling meet.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

All this anecdotal evidence is fine. But without hard numbers comparing different amps it is less than helpful. Don't get me wrong, it is good stuff to publish and to know. But hard test numbers are what is really required...as best as can be done.

I'm in the middle of testing the mobile amp against the Wilson -M (their mobile version). It is VERY tedious to get GOOD test numbers, but they are coming. You simply have to test a LOT to be sure you are not seeing tower anomalies. On the Mobile version no adaptors are required. I have the RV version and have deployed it....I'm just not in a bad enough signal area to get any meaningful results and my rig will not move until October.

The Technomadia folks are also testing in this fashion. So between us we should have some hard numbers.....and a lot of them. As most of you know, I publish all my raw data as well as summary data. As do Chris and Cherie.

Hi Jack,

Have you finished testing yet?

Hi Jack,

Have you finished testing yet?

Nope...but I'm using it right now in the Hinterlands of Kansas. :) And I do mean the hinterlands. Barely one bar of 3G without the amp. With the amp....full 4G. More than enough for me to use my 40G of data 10 days into my billing period. :( That is the mobile version I'm using.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

That's great to see, Jack! I've been wondering how well the Max has been working for you. I'm sure your testing will be much more thorough and technically valid than my anecdotal results, but I continue to be impressed with the performance of our MaxAmp RV no matter where we've gone with it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Gordon,

What is the situation with Sprint Spark and LTE band 41? I saw another forum where Weboost posted that the FCC will not let anybody build an amp for 1900 MHz, but I'm guessing they meant to say 2500 MHz instead.

800 mhz and 2500 mhz are now forbidden , We have applied for a waiver and are hoping Sprint will support us . . I am double checking on band 41 with my engineers in the morning . I know there are a few 1900 bands we cover that others don't . So my engineers told me in the past . Need to reconfirm which ones.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

Just heard from my Head engineer. Band 41 is on the 2500 mhz band . so no go right now . But the scuttlebutt is that with the new mitigation requirements the FCC may open 800 and 2500 mhz bands to amplification . Hopefully in the next six months . If that happens our the engineers will modify our board to add. add 800 and 2500 to our next generation of amplifier. Sorry I do not have better news.

Keeping You Connected

Thanks for checking on that Gordon. I'm assuming the FCC has banned 2500 mhz amps because it's to close to wifi and they don't want the tinkerers to experiment.

Hopefully they change their minds though, because there are going to be a lot of people wanting Sprint service now. 4g Community now has unlimited service on Sprint with no throttling or data caps for $14 a month ( $168 annual / 12 months = $14)

http://www.4gcommunity.org/community-store/12-month-service-bundle-with-mobile-hotspot

Assuming that you wind up adding the 800 and 2500 bands to your amp, do you know if it will it be able to do carrier aggregation (Sprint Spark)?

Jack, I also forgot to say thanks for the update..

Thanks for checking on that Gordon. I'm assuming the FCC has banned 2500 mhz amps because it's to close to wifi and they don't want the tinkerers to experiment.

Hopefully they change their minds though, because there are going to be a lot of people wanting Sprint service now. 4g Community now has unlimited service on Sprint with no throttling or data caps for $14 a month ( $168 annual / 12 months = $14)

http://www.4gcommunity.org/community-store/12-month-service-bundle-with-mobile-hotspot

Assuming that you wind up adding the 800 and 2500 bands to your amp, do you know if it will it be able to do carrier aggregation (Sprint Spark)?

Jack, I also forgot to say thanks for the update..

To close to Frequencies being used by Emergency services across the country. The amplifier will cover all commercial carrier services if we are ever allowed to cover 800 and 2500 . We applied for a waiver over a year ago .The fight goes on.

Keeping You Connected

That service is one of those. If it sounds to good to be true. 30 + GB for $14 while Sprint wants that much for 1GB.

If they are still in business next spring then I may try them for my 6 month summer trip.

Last spring I tried Karma and they had a special that only lasted 1-2 months before they shut it off.

Are you using it now?

I have Sprint unlimited data on my iPhone now with 3GB hotspot. I would be willing to pay Sprint $14 for another 27GB of hotspot. :)

They should be able to do that if a reseller can make money doing it. :wacko:

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Not using it yet, I'm thinking about giving it a whirl after Christmas for our home internet. I found out about it from the unlimitedville group on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/533178910174095/

They are getting good reviews on slickdeals. Since they are a non-profit it will be interesting to see how their business model works out.

Well as a newbie to RVing all together. We purchased the Max Signal but am having an issue....

Roof mounting it is no problem. Ceiling mounting, no problem (all though the part the inside antenna connects to makes the inside antenna bigger than expected and with it being black...really stands out. I would paint it as suggested by some but am afraid that then it will eventually wear off and need to be redone)

Anyway, far from my true and biggest problem. I have picked a place in the bedroom by the TV to install the amp as there is 4 power outlets there and a place to keep it out of the way.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM.....how do I wire the antenna from the roof to the max amp? I know it will be a chore to figure out how to run cable from max amp to the inside antenna...I have read using one of the little AC ducts but that means running it from bedroom, through bathroom to livingroom ceiling.

Anyone have some simple instructions for this RV layman in a 40ft motorhome? SO appreciate any help.

In my Newmar coach with a rear Air Conditioner I used this A/C and the inside cold air route in the ceiling. I put the ground plain on top of this A/C and routed the antenna coax into a louver in the AC cover and then into the COLD side of the AC by raising a shroud and running the coax inside between the foam gasket on the shroud (inside and under the outside cover). This put the coax into the cold air distribution plenum in the ceiling of the coach. I routed it coax to my hall lavatory area where I mounted the amp to a 6 in round cold air exit vent. I fastened the amp to this vent with cable ties and ran the power to the same round vent. I also used the ceiling air plenums to route the inside antenna from its location up front in the coach to the same 6 inch vent the amp is installed on. Worked very good for me and my coach. Everything runs down the center of the coach in the air vents and NO new holes anywhere except to screw the ground plane (a sheet of very thin steel about 16x24in I bought at a HD or Lowes and painted. There is no new place for any water intrusion at all.

Running through plenums is a good technique. That is usually what I do to move cable to a location. Sometimes you have the then punch the side to get it to where you want, but often you can figure it all out using the plenum runs.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

New review from one of the Lead storm Chasers in the country.

https://medium.com/@SteveMillerOK/maximum-signal-offers-maximum-value-72ef9becb862#.9xi516itc

A fantastic real world review, Gord! :D

Dutch

Thanks this is a person that counts on being connected so he can stream live video back to the weather channel.

Yep, when your livelihood, and potentially even your life, depends on it, you want the very best available...

Dutch

As good as the article is, it overstates the size of the necessary ground plane for the antenna. A ground plane size of one-quarter wavelength or longer is usually considered adequate. The 700 MHz band I believe is the lowest frequency cellular band currently in use. It will have a wavelength of ~0.42 m. Therefore, a quarter wavelength at these frequencies is ~0.1 m = ~4 inches. So, at a minimum, a 4" x 4" metal plate would work and anything larger will provide a modest improvement. The article states that a "4 foot x 4 foot" ground plane is recommended and I think this is a typo.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

As good as the article is, it overstates the size of the necessary ground plane for the antenna. A ground plane size of one-quarter wavelength or longer is usually considered adequate. The 700 MHz band I believe is the lowest frequency cellular band currently in use. It will have a wavelength of ~0.42 m. Therefore, a quarter wavelength at these frequencies is ~0.1 m = ~4 inches. So, at a minimum, a 4" x 4" metal plate would work and anything larger will provide a modest improvement. The article states that a "4 foot x 4 foot" ground plane is recommended and I think this is a typo.

Good catch, Joel... I think my brain must have converted it to inches without telling me when I read it. :wacko::D

Dutch

Actually... for best performance, you want 4" extending out from each corner of the antenna. 4" x 4" would be too small to cover that and 4' x 4' would certainly be too large (smile). We typically recommend 8" x 8" to solidly cover all current bands, and future bands (as low as 550 MhZ being on the horizon).

Here's how we explain the math in our Ground Plane Article:

The lowest frequency currently used by cellular systems is LTE Band 12, which runs from 699MHz to 746MHz. This works out to a wavelength of 16.9" - 15.8". Using the quarter-wavelength formula, this means that an effective ground plane should extend out from the center of an antenna at least 4.225" to be optimal for LTE Band 12.

Since you really only need four radials and not a continuous sheet of metal, the distance to the four corners from the center of an 8" x 8" metal sheet is 5.7" - meaning that you have plenty of ground plane for the job.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Was a typo . Mr Miller caught it and changed it.

Keeping You Connected

Archived