Looking at a DRV...

MrSeas

Time to upgrade the 5er. I know DRV has been sold to Thor. Anyone have any dealings with this new match up?

Good or bad? Heard some rumblings that "customization" and DRV may be a thing of the past. All comments are welcome especially "lessons learned!

Thanks,

Talked to someone in the loop at the ECR and as for now Thor is going to stay somewhat "hands off" with DRV so manufacturing should stay the same until the bean counters figure out they can mess with it and make some more money. Give them a year then we will see.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

From what I understand, as we are interested in a DRV as well, is that they will customize to a point, and they have a time line as well. 2 weeks after placing the order is all they are allowing for changes. You have to use an existing in production floor plan- no pulling a plan from 2006, and the changes have to be reasonable, move some outlets, add some lights, add or delete appliances, add "Elite" touches to a Mobile Suite are all good. Deleting or adding cabinets gets iffy depending on where they are basing on the wall structure behind them. We recently toured a handful of them and some of the "stupid" mistakes being made and allowed thru the line are head scratchers... as in "Really- you really thought that was ok to leave in this price point of a unit"

That's where having a good dealer is worth while

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hello all, as a long time lurker but a new poster let me say i'm happy to be here. On the subject of DRV, i traded my '05 Bounder DP on a '15 Fullhouse about 4 wks ago and the bloom is certainly off the rose! I understood that there would be some small items that would need attention but i was taken aback with three major items that need to be addressed. One is the motorized step that refuses to retract fully,another is that every thing i read about their Mor-ryde suspension states that the bearings are oil-bath. Well the last time i pulled it to practice my backing i found one of the hubcap centers had fallen off and revealed a grease fitting where clear plastic window of the oil bath should have been. Of course at the end of DRV's web site they state that they have the right to change any options with no notice and i guess they did just that. The last (i hope) issue is as a toyhauler the tie-downs in the garage are VERY important in order to keep the precious cargo safe! Most of the other toyhauler mfgs advertise the capacity of their tie-downs but DRV oddly does not and i found out the hard way. It turns out that they are just screwed to the plywood floor instead of bolted to the frame or steel crossmember. Where are their engineers?

Please don't think this is meant to be a nasty rant against DRV because it is a fabulous 5er inside and out, and pulls and handles like a dream. Just be aware that like any other mfgs regardless of the price they will have "issues" but the DRV warrante people are great to work with and will let you take it to the dealer or shop of your choice.

Dave

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

My understanding about the oil bath bearings is that they were leaking to an extent that DRV was having complaints not only about the mess the slinging oil made, but also with bearings running hot, so they went to the regular repackable as standard, and Neverlube as an option.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We purchased a new DRV in May and are currently on the first operational trip. We pulled it home 800 miles prior to this trip so the unit probably has 2500-3000 miles on it now counting delivery to the dealer. We were with Alie and Jim till today so they have already heard of my issues but they are numerous and still mounting in number, some small, some no so small. Today's problem, the big door side slide. I had a conference call with DRV service today and now they want me to bring it back to the factory. That means disrupting our first trip and traveling 2000 miles RT in the wrong direction. Not a good ownership experience thus far. As Jim said, you look at some of the problems and think, really!!! Who is doing the engineering and QA at DRV these days? Sad because they have a good product. Frankly, our choices in the industry are limited, In my opinion, Northern Indiana has not been good for consumers, to much focus on building high number of cheap units and dumping the problems into the dealer network who can't handle the volume. I'm confident we'll get the problems resolved but what a hassle.

2011 Volvo VNL 730

2015 Mobile Suites Dallas - Kansas RV Center

2017 Smart

2014 Smart...Looking for another HDT ride

2007 Freightliner FL60 Sportchassis

2008 Raptor Toy Hauler

2007 Dodge 3500 Dully 6.7 Cummins

2009 Heartland Big Country

We purchased a 2015 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Dallas in March. We too have MANY issues, more than you would normally expect from a new unit. A very long list of problems, most just because of QC. It seems like it was just build it and get it out the door. My dealer has been great fixing things, spent 2 weeks at his lot at delivery. I have fixed several issues myself. Spent 3 days at DRV getting things fixed plus time at a paint shop. Things are still breaking, I'm still fixing, hopefully it will end soon. We just went full time in Jan and would like to start enjoying things instead of fixing things. I've worked in the RV business over 34 years and have seen the good, bad and ugly. No RV is perfect, but our previous unit was a 2010 Cameo and had no problems except for replacing a slide motor and gear set. I expressed my opinion at DRV about their engineering and QC. I will say DRV has been good about fixing things and supplying parts. My reason for purchasing my unit was because of their history of being a good unit, but it seems that is not todays product. I like my floor plan and things I had changed. I'd gladly discuss any issues with anyone if they're interested.

MY interest now is to explore an HDT and maybe move into a Continental Coach by Forks RV. A really nice high quality unit, but heavier than my Dallas. We'll see as things go.

Kerry, you might also consider a New Horizons. Both the Forks and the NH are high end, fully custom units, as you know. Contact me directly if you like, if you have any questions on the New Horizons or what you could do with/in one.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Kerry, I guess some units are worse out the door than others, yours seemed to be real bad.

You should look at a HDT, it doesn't have to be real expensive, just well maintained, and sized to fit your needs.

All those times we talked about it this winter, and I still say the same thing, $40,000.00 is more than enough to get you what you need in a HDT.

I hope your Dallas starts cutting you some slack soon.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Hi Rick, how are you doing. I'm in WV getting ready to head for Top Sail Hill State Park in Santa Rosa Fl. Will be working there for a month or two then back to Rainbow. Hope things are well your way. Well the Dallas has been quiet lately, but it hasn't been on the road, lol. Thinking more and more about an HDT. Anything running around up your way. Think I'd like a 630, non smoker, something like yours.Keep me posted. Hope to see you at Rainbow. If you would find someone wanting to trade for the Ram would be good. It does pull the Dallas really well, but if I'd go for a Continental I'll need something for the pin weight. Good to hear form you.

Kerry, all is well up here in the mountains of Quebec.

Projects are numerous, so I'm busy as I can be....life is good.

There are NO turn-key HDT trucks I know of around, in fact there never are, and looking for a specific truck always takes a bit of time.

Whenever you're ready, you just say so....THEN the hunt begins.

Good trucks are always in demand, no matter what year / model.

Finding one puts you in with lots of other buyers looking for the same thing, a solid, clean, well-maintained unit with lowest acceptable mileage, and few flaws.

It is very rare that such a truck would be sitting around for any length of time.

The money talks, and right now your US dollars have near record buying power up here in Canada.

Good to hear the Dallas is close to being free of "birth defects".

You must love the heat if your already heading back to Fla.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

We bought our 06 Elite Suites new in July of 07 and had a few problems at first which were dealt with promptly and correctly by Doubletree.

Our home will be 10 years old soon and still looks "almost" as good as the day we bought it. If we would have bought SOB it would have

probably been traded in twice already.

We are replacing things as needed, just replaced the check valve for the black tank flush located in wall behind shower...no big deal if you

are handy at fixing things. We are happy with our purchase.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

Archived