kimlarsen

have a 8.3 Cummins 1998 got hot climbing Donner Summit. any ideas on way to generate more cooling better fan bigger pump pusher fans boil radiator. seemed to work fine in the desert just not climbing hills. Don't get me wrong trailer is heavy 23k. but my f350 climbed that with out downshifting just to heavy to stop. any advice welcomed

A lot of things come to mind, many cheap and easy to check so do them first.

Was your Allison hunting between gears? At full throttle hunting generates a lot of heat but it still should just get warmer and the fan go to high, not overheat.

Is your inter-cooler clean and flowing air, same for the radiator and AC condenser. Go out at dusk with a bright flashlight and a buddy and shine light through them in a pattern that covers the whole thing and look for blockages.

Any blockage in the cooling air intake, we have seen folks with bug-screens behind the grill that were clogged and causing problems.

Any buildup in the radiator core that could be blocking coolant flow?

Do you have the right antifreeze or antifreeze-water mix for maximum cooling?

Do you have a boost gauge, the engine can run hot if you are seeing a loss of boost from a leak or a clogged intake filter.

What type of fan do you have now, if it is not a two speed air controlled one you might swap it and see more air flow.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Is your inter-cooler clean and flowing air, same for the radiator and AC condenser. Go out at dusk with a bright flashlight and a buddy and shine light through them in a pattern that covers the whole thing and look for blockages.

^^^^^THIS^^^^ I bought a copper tube from lowes or home depot that i connect to my hose. I put a bend in it and "crimped" the end so I can fit it down behind the intercooler and radiator. Be careful not to have so much force you bend the cooling fins on either one but get some soap in there and get the grime and bugs cleaned out.

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

thank you ill check the intercooler and intake it is a two speed fan air actuated I believe. and I honestly think its not catching. I asked the mechanic to bolt it direct. he said bad idea. hunting for gears was fine start of hills picked one and that seemed fine. I hosed the radiator off before I hauled through the desert. there is no boost guage or etg guage either. I was wondering if there is a better fan.

You can usually find a connector near the air control for the fan and temporarily replace the truck side connection with a jumper and switch, that will let you manually control the fan to see if it is working as designed.

I know a couple folks that added a dash mounted switch to manually force the fan to high speed. Most did it for cooling, they could turn it on early and leave it on longer than the computer would. The other fellow did it because they wanted the extra engine braking the fan gave on high, he said something about 25 more braking horsepower.

Bolting it to force high speed is going to be noisy and burn a good bit of extra fuel so I'd not consider that as an option. Belt wear may also be an issue.

If you add a permanent switch you can also wire an indicator light to it so that you get an indication when the switch is on or the computer has activated the fan which is rather nice.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The thermostat on my International stuck partly closed. I taped on it with a big hammer. The temp. went back down and has stayed for the last 1,000 miles.

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2015 Space Craft V400
Furkid Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com

Archived