What Do I Need For Boosting Signal?

Linda, the new antenna that comes with the Sleek covers the required bands pretty well. It is very cheap and works well - although not as well as the BoatANt. The older sleek antennas do not cover the required bands as well....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack, is this the new Sleek antenna?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018PS4O0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3/176-4631601-0383742?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0BCFVDC50EGYHEV6EGN5&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_i=B003FGWGPS

It's not really expensive, so I could get it and try it out. However, I'm still not convinced that the Sleek will work with my tablet given the disparity in sizes. If it would work, it sure would save me a bunch of money! :rolleyes:

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Linda,

LINK

I have one but have not tested it yet. It should perform well though, based on the specs....and it is cheap. I'd recommend using it first, before spending big bucks on a higher performance antenna like the BoatAnt.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Thanks, again, Jack! I've saved the link to my favorites and will probably order it when we get back from our short trip. Actually, I could have used something here...we're in Nampa, ID in an RV park right next to the Interstate. You'd think we'd have a really good signal, right? Wrong! I'm lucky to get two bars!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Just bought a Wilson (weboost) DT 4G for home and small office. I think this may also fit the bill. Comes with cable,inside and outside antennas, signal booster. and comes w/ mounting kit. Looked at buying flagpole to use w/ outside antenna but didn't like the cost, so made my own out a piece of 1.5" PVC w/ end caps, 8 ft long that travels in the bed of the truck. Can attach to ladder or utility post. Besides the the pole I made, I bought just one item; a flat coaxial cable to come through the window. Signal booster has four adjustment knobs for the 4 levels-700, 800, 1900 and 1700 to 2100 mhz. This unit is not used when traveling, only can be used when parked. Also must be registered w/ your cell phone company.

2008 F350 Lariat 4X4, PSD, DW, Crew Cab, 4:30, Long Bed, Tow Boss

B&W Turnover Ball Campanion Hitch 18K

Transfer Flow In Bed Auxiliary Fuel Tank 50 Gallon

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE

Just bought a Wilson (weboost) DT 4G for home and small office. I think this may also fit the bill. Comes with cable,inside and outside antennas, signal booster. and comes w/ mounting kit. Looked at buying flagpole to use w/ outside antenna but didn't like the cost, so made my own out a piece of 1.5" PVC w/ end caps, 8 ft long that travels in the bed of the truck. Can attach to ladder or utility post. Besides the the pole I made, I bought just one item; a flat coaxial cable to come through the window. Signal booster has four adjustment knobs for the 4 levels-700, 800, 1900 and 1700 to 2100 mhz. This unit is not used when traveling, only can be used when parked. Also must be registered w/ your cell phone company.

We use the same Wilson DT 4G small office booster and like it so much better than the Wilson Sleek we had before. I also added a outside trucker antenna so I would not need to aim the directional antenna that comes with the booster. I will soon be changing that to the boat antenna that Jack Mayer uses since it is also has a wider range of frequencies that are better tuned to the new signal bands being used and more gain.

To solve our issue of how to mount the outside antenna, I created my own adjustable height mast and mounted it to the RV ladder. I mounted the antenna to 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe and then slid that inside 2 lengths of 1 1/2" schedule 40 PVC. Leaving a 2' gap between the two sections of 1 1/2" pipe, I clamped them to the ladder using stainless steel hose clamps. After sliding the 1" pipe inside the two sections of 1 1/2" pipe and adjusting the length and mounting locations so the antenna was below the A/C height when down, I then drilled holes every 2' through both sections so I can use a 1/4" linchpin to adjust the height. By leaving a gap in the outside pipe, I can slide the antenna up or down about 4' without climbing the ladder or I can also climb the ladder and raise it to full height which is about 8' above the roof. Now I can stow the antenna for travel and than raise it if needed to pull in stronger signals just by sliding the mast to the desired height. Whole cost of this mast was about $20 with the stainless steel hose clamps being the most expensive part (and it's even white to match the ladder).

"Bloom where you are planted"
2006 F350 6.0 L Diesel, Lariet, Firestone air bags, Reese 20K Hitch
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 32TK3, MorRyde Pin Box, MorRyde I.S., Progressive Ind. EMS
Class of 2013 (12/21/2013)

There are details on how to build an adjustable mast like Rick described above on my website in the Communications section. They are also in The Technomadia book.

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 2 weeks later...

We use a Wilson WA460108 that gives me a 50db boost and covers 4g and LTE frequencies. I dont have it permanently mounted and have used it in my truck and in the 5er depending on circumstances. In the US on Verizon we were able to get service almost everywhere we went. Boondocking outside Ajo was the only exception. In Canada we have found some spots without service but driving for 10 miles got me a signal. Only problem is it costs $370

• 4 weeks later...

We use the same Wilson DT 4G small office booster and like it so much better than the Wilson Sleek we had before. I also added a outside trucker antenna so I would not need to aim the directional antenna that comes with the booster. I will soon be changing that to the boat antenna that Jack Mayer uses since it is also has a wider range of frequencies that are better tuned to the new signal bands being used and more gain.

To solve our issue of how to mount the outside antenna, I created my own adjustable height mast and mounted it to the RV ladder. I mounted the antenna to 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe and then slid that inside 2 lengths of 1 1/2" schedule 40 PVC. Leaving a 2' gap between the two sections of 1 1/2" pipe, I clamped them to the ladder using stainless steel hose clamps. After sliding the 1" pipe inside the two sections of 1 1/2" pipe and adjusting the length and mounting locations so the antenna was below the A/C height when down, I then drilled holes every 2' through both sections so I can use a 1/4" linchpin to adjust the height. By leaving a gap in the outside pipe, I can slide the antenna up or down about 4' without climbing the ladder or I can also climb the ladder and raise it to full height which is about 8' above the roof. Now I can stow the antenna for travel and than raise it if needed to pull in stronger signals just by sliding the mast to the desired height. Whole cost of this mast was about $20 with the stainless steel hose clamps being the most expensive part (and it's even white to match the ladder).

RickandJanice I've a question about the use of the BoatAnt with the DT 4G Wilson- Does the BoatAnt plug into the Wilson signal booster just like the antenna that comes with their system. Also I have registered the Wilson with Verizon already, will I have to re-register if I install the BoatAnt? Jack or anyone with the answer is welcome to reply. TIA

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE

You don't have to re-register the amp.

You may need an adapter for the Boatant. Take a look at the specs and see. I don't have a Wilson so I can't tell you off hand. I did need an adapter for my Jetpack.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I'm assuming that I could get and adapter if needed from radio shack or from?

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE

Order your adaptor at the same time you order the antenna. That is what I did.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I'm assuming that I could get and adapter if needed from radio shack or from?

Good luck finding a Radio Shack! There are, apparently, still some in existence, inside Sprint stores, but they closed over 1,700 stores earlier this year:

http://www.businessinsider.com/radioshack-store-closure-list-2015-2

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

So some get free stuff. To say nice things about it?

Some folks get stuff sent to them so they can do real world testing and report the results. Ever heard of "beta testers"? :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Our new units should be out very soon. They will do exactly what you are looking for. Hope to make a few prototypes next week as all parts should finally be here. . For our pre-appointed testers that include Jack Mayer, DocJ and Technomadia. Production models will not be far behind.

Just wondering how the progress is going on your products?

I tried to order the BoatAnt from Amazon but they cancelled my order with no explanation. They gave me a link to Quantum Wireless (their supplier?) and Quantum said they were out of stock and didn't expect to get any more or get a replacement model. I sent an email to WirEng, the manufacturer, asking for another supplier.

Doug, take a look at the RVAnt. It was not available when I did my testing, but is now. The BoatAnt is currently unavailable.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived