Has anyone here ever changed their DD214?

Kinsa

I have submitted a request to change a block on my DD214, but I have no idea if I submitted enough evidence, how long the process will take, or anything like that. Just wondering if anyone has gone through this, and if so, what your experience was like? Thanks!

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

IIRC, any changes will be issued on a DD215 so you'll need to keep copies of both the DD214 and DD215. I do not believe they will issue you a "new" DD214.

I've never tried to change my DD214 but maybe I should. I got awarded a Presidential Unit Citation for my time in the Pentagon (late 90s and early 00) that was awarded after I retired so it's not on my DD214.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

I had my 214 amended by a 215. Back then it took about 6 months. It had to do with conflicting dates of service between my active duty and reserve time. I had to include all supporting documentation.

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra Classic
Street/Strip Harley Sportster Racebike
SFC (ret) US Army

My first DD-214 from the USMC is dated 4/1/69. I have a DD-215 dated 3/14/84 that updates the awards and decorations section of that DD-214. By 1984 I was on active duty with the USAF and I honestly can't remember if the DD-215 was for some action I took or if it was an automatic thing. I may have done a records request from NPRC in St Louis and that's when it was sent to me. Regardless, I too believe any necessary changes to a DD-214 will result in the issuance of a DD-215.

Ropeshaft, if you have a 214/215 from previous service in the USMC, that information should have been included in the DD214 you received from the USAF, to include cumulative length of service, CONUS and OCONUS tour credits, and awards & decorations.

Did it do that?

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Ropeshaft, if you have a 214/215 from previous service in the USMC, that information should have been included in the DD214 you received from the USAF, to include cumulative length of service, CONUS and OCONUS tour credits, and awards & decorations.

Did it do that?

Yes it definitely does. My USAF DD-214 includes all the information from both my USMC DD-214 and my USMC DD-215.

My first DD-214 from the USMC is dated 4/1/69. I have a DD-215 dated 3/14/84 that updates the awards and decorations section of that DD-214. By 1984 I was on active duty with the USAF and I honestly can't remember if the DD-215 was for some action I took or if it was an automatic thing. I may have done a records request from NPRC in St Louis and that's when it was sent to me. Regardless, I too believe any necessary changes to a DD-214 will result in the issuance of a DD-215.

Sorry, failed to answer this question. I've never seen it as "automatic". It is always initiated by the individual or someone acting on behalf of the individual (family member, Member of Congress, etc.) to correct the DD214.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

• 7 months later...

Just updating this, and hoping someone can give me some advice.

I haven't heard ONE SINGLE WORD from them. Nothing saying they received my request, nothing saying they updated it, nothing saying they rejected it.

It's been months.

I'm not a retiree, so I don't know if a retiree office would help me. What should I do about this? I really need to know (soon) whether or not the change was approved.

Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
San Antonio, Texas

Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD

• 3 months later...

Well, here's a boatload of carp for ya...

After directly contacting AFPC, they say they have NO RECORD of my request. None.

Back to square one. *grumble grumble*

San Antonio, Texas

Send the next info via Registered mail? Does Texas have a state veteran's assistance service you can use? A second option would be to seek assistance from a local veteran organization, they often have a couple folks skilled at pushing paperwork through the system.

Sadly the least effort method of dealing with this sort of thing once it lands on your desk is to toss it into the shredder when nobody is watching.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Send the next info via Registered mail? Does Texas have a state veteran's assistance service you can use? A second option would be to seek assistance from a local veteran organization, they often have a couple folks skilled at pushing paperwork through the system.

Sadly the least effort method of dealing with this sort of thing once it lands on your desk is to toss it into the shredder when nobody is watching.

I almost sent it registered mail the first time, then decided not to since it was just going to the other side of town. (I live in San Antonio, and it was just going over to Randolph AFB... lesson learned... rolling my eyes...)

I think I will try working through the Texas veteran assistance office. Thanks.

San Antonio, Texas

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd offer up an update...

After A FULL YEAR, I received a phone call. Apparently my package had been floating around the office for an entire year, and no one quite knew what to do with it. It had been on TEN desks. (No idea why... it is pretty self-explanatory.) So after talking on the phone with Sgt So-n-so, he finally understood what I was needing, and he said they would forward the package to D.C. with the recommendation to change the DD214.

I finally got a letter from AFPC saying they were recommending the changes. Now I am waiting for the change to become official through the office in D.C.

My word. What an ordeal.

San Antonio, Texas

• 1 year later...

Okay, yet another update....

I finally received my DD215... two years after I started the process. 

Gotta love that government efficiency.  ?

San Antonio, Texas

Archived