Battery charging issues

rhome

We have a 2004 Dutch Star with a xantrex RC7GS charger inverter and just recently have had a problem with the batteries not fully charging even when we have FHUs. The volt meter always reads between 12.2 and 12.6 causing the lights to flicker. After driving it does read over 13. In August of 2013 we replaced the batteries with Trojan 6 volts AGMs so I don't believe the problem is with the batteries.

I have read several posts on this issue and still feel like correcting it is beyond my ability. We are at Rainbows End and want to know if anyone can recommend a reliable repair service in the area.

Thanks

Jim and Nancy Tidball

2004 Dutch Star 4025

2006 Honda CRV

http://runningdownourdream.blogspot.com

I believe the xantrex has two charging levels. One is 12.6 v for use in full hookups to be sure of never over charging.

The other is about 13.6v for boon docking and traveling. There is a "key" that you insert into the charger to charge

at the high level and remove the key for the lower level.

This is the way mine works and I have a Dutch Star also. Check the manual for the charger.

Dick

Any chance you have it set to Gel battery rather than flooded battery? That may be keeping you from seeing a full charge.

Also is your bank size set correctly?

Manual here:

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Discontinued-Products/822-4RC7-RC7GSRevNew.pdf

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Try shutting your invertor off, then on again. Ocassionally my RS2000 will act weird too. It will not remain in bulk or absorption very long then go to float when I know the batteries are not fully charged. The off/on thing has always reset the Xantrex RS2000.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived