FCC Adopts Net Neutrality Rules

Zulu

Who do you think should write regulations?

Paul

In this case the congress should have written a law that implemented net neutrality without all the nonsense that is now in place.

In many other cases I'd also like to see the rules and regulations proposed by a bureaucrat sent before congress for a vote, the political process is pretty pitiful but without it being involved the paper pushers will keep taking liberties with our liberties.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"we remember Pre EPA. We remember Lake Erie being a dead lake."

Just one good example. The way smog was in Calfornia at one time, the way it is in China now are decent examples. What is the difference in a "bureaucrat" and a politician? Both do good and bad. I would say that many "bureaucrats" are trying to administer the rules/laws set by politicians sometimes in the best interest of the US, sometimes not.

Not sure I agree with Stan on the first statement this time but in principal I do. Stan's 2nd statement is closer to what I believe. The caveat on this one is not many of the legislators will be knowledgable enough to make a decent decision even if they are not "bought off" for their vote. No easy answer besides dollars and time to court cases and lawyers and judges to sort it all out some way. No doubt that someone had to start the ball rolling with some decision. In this case it was a bureacrat with a decision I did not expect given his leanings and background.

edited for spelling and grammer.

It is sad that so many of you badmouth our government and therefore our Country.

People need government to do the things that we can't do for ourselves. It does trouble me that so many of

you have so many bad things to say about the people that you elected!

In this case the congress should have written a law that implemented net neutrality without all the nonsense that is now in place.

In many other cases I'd also like to see the rules and regulations proposed by a bureaucrat sent before congress for a vote, the political process is pretty pitiful but without it being involved the paper pushers will keep taking liberties with our liberties.

Do you think that had Congress written the law, knowing that Verizon, AT&T, Xfinity(Comcast), and all the other players who had a stake in the outcome, and who would contribute millions to those that supported their position, the outcome would have been the same?

In most cases I would trust the bureaucrats, even thought I consider it a pejorative term, than those that are allowed to take millions from those who have a direct stake in the outcome, which is sad on many counts.

Paul

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

It is sad that so many of you badmouth our government and therefore our Country.

People need government to do the things that we can't do for ourselves. It does trouble me that so many of

you have so many bad things to say about the people that you elected!

It's not the people, it's the system. We have a system where in order to be elected a candidate must accept backing from corporate donors. If they do not, they will not win, as they cannot compete with those who do. Then after they are in office they are expected to pay back their corporate donors with legislation beneficial to their interests. This is how the game is played. They spend millions to advertise themselves for the chance of get a job that pays less than a tenth of what they must spend. They also know that after they land the job they will get speaking fees, honorariums, inside stock tips, investment opportunities, consulting and board positions, etc. to make it worthwhile to their personal finances to do the bidding of the money brokers (corporate and party influences).

If we can change the system, or at least diminish the corruptible influence our politicians face then we would all be better off. We would have to increase their salaries many fold though, as the real money they earn is through influence peddling, not their pay. Remove this aspect of the job and don't bump their pay and you will get zero takers, except for the crazies. I'm not cynical, I'm practical. I'm not against limited government, just over bloated, corrupt government.

I love my country. I served 9 years in the Army helping to keep us free. I truly believe we are still the best country in the world, despite our faults, because of the freedoms many of my friends died and were crippled and maimed for. I want to have an honest government and it pains me to see what we have evolved into. This is not a criticism of any political party or any specific politician, as I believe our problems are systemic, as corruption is rampant on both sides of the aisle. When we put a good man in office we are asking him or her to swim against the tide. All I'm saying is that is we reduce the force of the current they must swim against, fewer would drown. My family was/is in politics in Louisiana, so I have seen how the political favor system works first hand, so this is not idle speculation. I know of which I speak.

Chip

It's not the people, it's the system. We have a system where in order to be elected a candidate must accept backing from corporate donors. If they do not, they will not win, as they cannot compete with those who do. Then after they are in office they are expected to pay back their corporate donors with legislation beneficial to their interests.

Yes, this is the core of the problem, I think. But the people who can change this are the people who are eyebrow-deep in the middle of it. We no longer have a democracy; we are now an oligarchy.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Yes, this is the core of the problem, I think. But the people who can change this are the people who are eyebrow-deep in the middle of it. We no longer have a democracy; we are now an oligarchy.

WDR

The Bilderberg Group ...

Goes around , comes around .

The Bilderberg Group ...

I know it's easy to name a group and link them to a conspiracy but I don't think it's that simple.

For one thing, holding a conspiracy together is a lot harder than you'd think. Years ago I worked for an outfit that specialized in conspiracies. They could arrest you, throw you in jail, take away your money and do other dire things to you if you ratted them out; all perfectly legally. But, amazingly enough, people STILL wrote books about the stuff they swore they'd never tell a soul about. The Huges Glomar Explorer is a perfect example. And JMWAVE. Google those. There are photos of JMWAVE! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JMWAVE. That particular cryptonym was, I can assure you, beyond top secret.

Then there was the book "Inside the Company". You have no idea how many government employees searched the index of THAT book to see if their real name (or even code name linked to their real name) was in it. The publication of that book (not available in the US for a long time) led to a complete revamping of a lot of systems inside CIA. Read it and you'll understand why. http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Company-Diary-Philip-Agee/dp/0883730286/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427561754&sr=1-1&keywords=inside+the+company+cia+diary+by+philip+agee

Someone always begins to believe that they have more to gain from exposing their involvement in a conspiracy than they have to lose from it. It's a universal truth.

You don't need a group or a conspiracy anyway. It's the system. Your Congressman doesn't need a group of conspirators to tell him/her to take campaign money and what they'll be expected to do for it. It's the only way to get elected and, as we all know, the most important thing after that is to stay elected.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

http://www.wolf-pac.com/ is one way.

Sprint's CEO just came out and said that he thinks without the Net Neutrality rules, Verizon and AT&T will crush his company.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I'm concerned, very concerned. As others have said, will have to see what the 322 pages of law all entail, then have to see what all the 322 pages of law are going to COST.

I agree. Unless someone here has access to the complete 322 pages of the law then I am neutral on Net Neutrality at this point! <_<

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd.
"All who wander are not lost"

You speak the truth. and I will add doing away with gerrymadering. We are so far away from our Constitutional system of government I wonder if we will ever find outrway back....before its too late

It's not the people, it's the system. We have a system where in order to be elected a candidate must accept backing from corporate donors. If they do not, they will not win, as they cannot compete with those who do. Then after they are in office they are expected to pay back their corporate donors with legislation beneficial to their interests. This is how the game is played. They spend millions to advertise themselves for the chance of get a job that pays less than a tenth of what they must spend. They also know that after they land the job they will get speaking fees, honorariums, inside stock tips, investment opportunities, consulting and board positions, etc. to make it worthwhile to their personal finances to do the bidding of the money brokers (corporate and party influences).

If we can change the system, or at least diminish the corruptible influence our politicians face then we would all be better off. We would have to increase their salaries many fold though, as the real money they earn is through influence peddling, not their pay. Remove this aspect of the job and don't bump their pay and you will get zero takers, except for the crazies. I'm not cynical, I'm practical. I'm not against limited government, just over bloated, corrupt government.

I love my country. I served 9 years in the Army helping to keep us free. I truly believe we are still the best country in the world, despite our faults, because of the freedoms many of my friends died and were crippled and maimed for. I want to have an honest government and it pains me to see what we have evolved into. This is not a criticism of any political party or any specific politician, as I believe our problems are systemic, as corruption is rampant on both sides of the aisle. When we put a good man in office we are asking him or her to swim against the tide. All I'm saying is that is we reduce the force of the current they must swim against, fewer would drown. My family was/is in politics in Louisiana, so I have seen how the political favor system works first hand, so this is not idle speculation. I know of which I speak.

Chip

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd.
"All who wander are not lost"

I agree. Unless someone here has access to the complete 322 pages of the law then I am neutral on Net Neutrality at this point! <_<

Is this it? http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/03/12/392544534/fcc-publishes-full-text-of-net-neutrality-rules

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived