RV Furniture in DRV

s106300

During a recent conversation with a very helpful DRV owner one of the subjects that came up was the furniture. This fellow and his wife had stock furniture replaced with custom made Basset recliners and a sofa bed since they felt the DRV stock was neither comfortable nor durable. What are other's takes on the comfort and durability of furniture provided in a DRV? Any recommendations on which company makes the best furniture suitable to an RV?

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

We have a 2015 Mobile Suites and received one of the last units with the Lane furniture as they were in the process of switching over to a different supplier - not sure what supplier that was. We can only comment on the Lane as that is all that we have had experience with. In our opinion the lane has not held up very well and is not very comfortable. The seat springs and cushions on our theater seating is not stiff enough and as a result you sit too low in the seat. We are currently planning to seek the advice of a good furniture repair person when we return to the Dallas area. We will then decide on a solution.

From reading many of the furniture related postings it appears that many folks decide to go with Lazy Boy furniture and seem to be pretty happy with their decisions. I don't think you will need custom made, just find furniture that will fit (dimension wise) - and keep weights in mind. This may be the avenue we pursue but I want to exhaust potential improvements that can be made to our existing furniture as it looks great and we would really like to use it as long as we can.

Hope this helps.

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

I can not talk about furniture supplied with a DRV fifth wheel but I do think RV furniture in general is substandard quality. Also, one size supplied by a manufactured does not fit everyone. We deleted most of the NuWa furniture when we ordered our fifth wheel. We installed comfortable La-Z-Boy recliners that fit us and a comfortable Broyhill sofa rather than the hide a bed we wouldn't use. The very few times we need another bed we used an inflatable air mattress on the floor or the sofa as a single sleeper. It was a challenge to find the right sofa for the RV but it also fit through the door easily. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Good thread. Having recently looked at some 2015 Montana and Cougar 5vers, we noted that they had Lane simulated leather loungers and sleeper couch. The loungers were very comfortable. Since we'll be buying a used coach, replacing some of the original furniture is a likely want. Do companies like Lane, Lazy-Boy, Bassett, etc. make a special line of furniture just for 5th wheel and motor coaches? I made a mental note of Big Greg's last sentence regarding the coach door opening... double check dimensions and then double check the dimensions :D .

Why do you want "a special line of furniture just for fifth wheel and motor coaches"? Unless you have serious RV space restrictions household furniture gives you a MUCH greater selection. There are Amish furniture makers in the Elkhart, IN area that make custom furniture for RVs too. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I was just wondering if there were any companies that specialize in furniture for RV's.

http://www.flexsteel.com/vehicle-seating/products

The most common La Z Boy recliner used is the Pinnacle. The back comes off to make going through the door easier.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Yes, one name provided to us was Lambright Comfort Chairs - near DRV factory. Looks like nice stuff. Only issue is that we cannot sit in it before ordering. It's likely we will go with Lazyboy for recliners unless we are otherwise educated. BTW a good amount of my current stick and brick is Amish. I am a fan.

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Ours were built by Bassett but were stock sizes with fabrics and seat cushions we picked out. To get them in the coach, the rear window was removed and the furniture set inside. This is the same solution for some refrigerators...

Measure twice, check the furniture size and then measure everything again to make sure. We have 1" of clearance in the rear sofa to the sides coming in and the oversize loveseat we added is a touch fit to the island.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

We have now visited Lazy-boy, Basset, and looked at Stressless. So far I have liked the Lazy-boy Rowen reclinaway (more contemporary look wall hugger) although Ron found the Stressless to be a tad more comfy. Stressless does not do wall hugger however and is quite a bit more pricey.

We just ordered our drv to start our fulltime life starting in May. We did opt out of the factory Flair furniture and went with Lambright. We went to their showroom in Topeka, Ind. to check them out an walked out buying 2 recliners and a couch. The quality and comfort can't be beat. You will pay more, but we want comfort for full timing.

Thanks. We talked to DRV about putting in Laz-e-boy but turns out Forest River has an exclusive deal with them and thus no other company can actually install their recliners for you - it has to be done after market. We cannot try about the Lambrights yet as we are across the country. We will probably go with the Flair for now and then change it out when we find something we both like (always a challenge ). Hopefully in our travels we can get by Lambright and check them out.

I was thinking about weight of conventional furniture versus RV? Is there any? I would think there would be. I want to replace our lousy loveseat to a futon (because I don't think we can get a regular couch through the door). I'd get the spring futon mattress and with the frame and mattress, I'm at 150 lbs versus a 300 lb sofa sleeper. We went to a special RV furniture store, no help, no real options that fit us.

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

• 4 weeks later...

I understand many folks have either had the couch and chairs moved in and out through the front window or the get furniture that have removeable backs. Regular (non-RV) furniture is available in all shapes and sizes. If space is a concern as well as weight, look for options under the category of "small space furniture" and see what comes up. Also consider just getting a regular comfy couch and buying a high quality queen size air mattress that goes on the floor - quite comfy and inflate/deflate quickly. Often more comfortable than a sleeper sofa or futon.

http://www.flexsteel.com/vehicle-seating/products

The most common La Z Boy recliner used is the Pinnacle. The back comes off to make going through the door easier.

Newt

I looked into Flexsteel. But man are they a PAIN. There was a dealer close to me BWI airport but they DO NOT sell the RV sofas. The closest dealer was a Camping world in PA and they did not carry anything on the floor. I mean how do they plan on selling them if you can not even see or sit on one?

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I bought custom bed mattress and cabinets, as well as leather recliners custom med in a few days from Hilo industries in Chanute Kansas. They make all the furniture for NuWa HitchHiker trailers. They custom make furniture, window treatments, and cabinets for any RV. Great quality. You can visit and in a week drive away completely redone at relatively inexpensive prices.

http://www.yellowpages.com/chanute-ks/mip/hi-lo-industries-inc-2169184

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I have heard mixed reviews on the furniture. But for hat they give you as a credit, I just went with their furniture right now. I can always up grade or replace the cushions with better ones down the road.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• 3 weeks later...

We have a DRV with a rear entertainment center so moving furniture in and out of the back window is not an option. The wife wants a new sofa and recliner. I don't think the recliner is a problem since the back comes off so getting it in the door should be fine. Does anyone have any ideas on manufacturers of sofas that will fit through the door? Thanks for the help.

• 4 years later...

Want to replace the sectional sofa in our DRV RESB3 but cant find anything retail that will fit in the space, DRV doesn't offer the sofa in fabric (only  pleather). Might  use a modular system to build a sectional but will change the short side length so we don't have to dismantle/move it for travel.

Have mostly exhausted the retail search...just not out there. Seems quality RV furniture could be a thriving business for someone.

• 1 year later...

Big greg, when preparing to fulltime in our 2009 Elite  suite 36TK3 we moved the recliners, with the typical shredding leather, out and upon moving in one of our recliners being moved out of sticks n bricks, wait no way, the rv recliners are comfortable but literally 25% narrower so 2 "home" recliners would not fit. The sofa is very comfortable and the storage under seat is great but wish it was a full sleeper. Not sure if it was ever available

On 2/23/2015 at 10:43 PM, s106300 said:

Only issue is that we cannot sit in it before ordering. It's likely we will go with Lazyboy for recliners unless we are otherwise educated.

If you want to sit in a Lambright first, you have to go to Topeka, IN.  They have a showroom.  Otherwise they have a catalog.  We went there, sat in floor models and then ordered ours.  18 months of use later we love them.  They are holding up well.  I am sitting in a wall hugger recliner (Lazy Relax-R) right now.  One thing, unless you frequently eat or work with a computer in your seats, the optional folding tray in the LRR is difficult to store and often in the way.  We also have the a sofa bed from them (Harrison).  We are a definite vote for Lambright.  They are pricey but the workmanship is spectacular.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

7 minutes ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

We are a definite vote for Lambright.  They are pricey but the workmanship is spectacular.

X2

We bought Lambright through "RV's for Less". I ordered our 2016 MS from "RV's for Less" withoiut a couch or recliners. The empty RV was taken by Lambright and the furniture was installed before continuing to TN. All the pieces went through the front door.

The furniture is still as comfortable as it was in Nov 2015 and I sat in it today. Of course we are not full timers but until 11 months ago we did spend 8 of every 12 month on the Lambright product.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C