RV Range with our without oven

SWharton

We are looking into an new RV and I need an opinion.

We do not use our oven, too hard to light. We do use a countertop oven(can hold a 9x9) and our microwave.

The new rig has a microwave/convection oven(we will get) and a choice of range with storage below or range with oven below. Personally, I lean toward storage but looking at resale potential do you think it would be better to get the range with oven.

Thanks,

We have a GE profile convection micro in our coach. It works very well. No need for an oven other than it.

I don't think leaving out the propane oven will negatively affect resale at all. It may even be of benefit.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We had an oven in our 5th wheel that may have been used 10 times in 7 years. We did add a Sharp mictowve/ convection that worked extremely well. When we bought the MH last year I didn't even consider if it would have an oven. I love the storage instead. It has a full size Sharp micro/ conv. I use it exclusively. There is only one item either of them didn't do well and that was a full size pound cake. No issue I just make a half recipe and do it in a loaf pan

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We've always had an oven in our RVs which did get used, although not frequently. Our current RV has only the stovetop and the microwave/convection oven in it. The convection part works fine, but since we mostly boondock, in order to use it we have to turn on the generator, so I do miss having a propane oven on occasion (like at Thanksgiving and Christmas when we want to roast something). If we were always in an RV park, I probably would never miss the propane oven.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

The trend in RVs is away from traditional oven and towards the Microwave/Convection. There are some serious cooks out there and others that boondock a lot who would prefer an oven but over all I dont think it would affect resale; might even improve it a little.

As far as resale value, I doubt it is a factor. Otherwise it is a personal and lifestyle choice. I know people who have had the propane range replaced with a cooktop because they wanted the additional storage space, and there are also some (like us) who replaced the cooktop with a range. The only reason we want one is because we spend a lot of time off grid and don't want to run the generator to bake. Ours get used a lot, but when hooked up we almost always use the convection/microwave.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Agree with others comments above -- forget about the resale value contribution. Trends change. Get what you want and what adds to the pleasure of your RV experience

We have a propane range and oven setup and have never used the oven. Tabletop convection ovens do a better job and you can take them outside so they don't heat up the interior of your RV, which is a big deal during our hot, humid summer months where we are.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

We would always choose having a convection oven over a regular propane oven. I'd get the storage. Don't know about users in this group, but if the campers around us are an example, most that have problems with the convection oven do not follow the instructions for use and/or don't even read their manual to find out how to use it. More than one person here has been trying to figure out how to use it with using the metal racks that are provided. Others don't know they can use metal pans just like in a real oven, or to adjust the time or temperature, and the list goes on. If you have never had one before, please use the manual for guidance until you are comfortable using it.

Pat DeJong

Do what works for you and don't worry about resale. We have an oven and wish we had storage. Well, we actually do use it all the time for storage but it's just not as efficient as a cabinet.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Archived