Help selecting RV?

GracieK

We are looking for the RV we will use to full-time, and can't find what we need. What Make/Model might we have missed? Our criteria are:

New unit

Class C or B+

26 feet long or less

No slides, or at least slides that aren't required to be open to access bed, bath etc on quick overnight stops

Quality construction

A window next to a seat so our passengers and/or dog can see out

Solar option

Compressor refrigerator

Full or queen island bed (walk around)

Dry bath

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Look at used Born Frees. They are probably the best built and safest in the B/C categories. They meet your criteria, except they have rv refrigerators and no island bed, but you could switch the rv frig for a bar/dorm/small residential one. One I looked at already had that done. I've looked at many b/c rigs that size and never seen an island bed. Nice used ones start at around $40,000 and up. New ones start around $150,00 and up. They usually are well maintained and look new ten years or much more after original purchase.

2005 Safari Simba 37PCT

Fulltimer - resident of Polson, MT

Mostly in CO, MT, NC & KW FL

USAF Retired

You can also look at the Thor Vegas short Class A. The 25.2 floorplan, http://vegas-motorhomes.com/floorplans, is about as close I you can get to what you want. It does have a slide, that pushes the queen bed out back.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Hi GracieK,

How about. . .

Leisure Travel Vans Unity IB (Island Bed). No slides.*

Coach House Platnium 272XL*

Coach House Platnium II 240SQ*

Coach House Platnium II 241SQ or DQ*

Winnebago/Itasca View/Navion 24G (2 slides including a walkaround QB)*

Thor Siesta 24SR (2 slides includidng a walkaround QB)

Renegade Villagio 25QRS

Forest River Solera 24R

Forest River Forester 2251SLE (Chevy or Ford)

Forest River Forester 2401R or 2401W

The following manufacturers also build great coaches, but you will need to go longer for a walkaround bed:

Born Free*

Lazy Daze*

Phoenix Cruisers*

Dynamax Isata E Series

Nexus*

I have placed an * next to coaches that appear to be of a higher quality based on my research over the last 6 months or so.

Good luck with search!!!

Dean

Laura & Dean | '05 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe | '09 Kia Borrego V8 2WD

Welcome to the Escapee forums.

I agree with others here who say that you aren't likely to find a class c or b which comes with a compressor type of refrigerator. There used to be one manufacturer who offered a 12V, marine compressor refrigerator as an option but I have not seen one of them in several years.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Everyone, thanks for these suggestions. I have lots of research to do now. And Dean, you are right on target with the LTV suggestion except mid model year they eliminated both windows by the passenger seats. That was a deal breaker for us and is the reason we are still searching. Bummer.

Hey GracieK,

Looks like you are getting down to the nitty gritty in terms of noting the placement of the passenger side windows in the LTV Unity. Nice research. After rereading your OP, I noticed I did make a couple of suggestions that included QB slideouts that you do not want. Sorry about that. I am VERY EARLY in the research phase, but many of your specifications are similar to my preferences. I look forward to reading more about your quest.

Take care,

Dean

If your 26' or shorter length is really an absolute limit, I agree with others who suggest you've put together a list of criteria that is likely impossible to meet. You've got built-in contradictions. I haven't done serious research lately, but it just seems impossible to have an island bed and no slide-outs in a rig that short.

Our Lazy Daze (23.5') meets all of your criteria except for the bed and the refrigerator. The new version (now 24') sells for under 87K.

Clarkie
Dick & Linda, hosting Abbie, our miniature Dachshund.
23.5' Lazy Daze MH
Newberg, Oregon

The LTV Unity IB has an island queen bed and no slide outs. But the fridge is 3-way and it has the above mentioned window problem. So you are right about meeting all criteria not being possible. I was hoping someone had found a make/model I had missed :-)

The new version (now 24') sells for under 87K.

---

The actual coach length/layouts are the same; the Ford cab nose/grill design is what makes up the 6" increase. ;-)

This price is accurate if one goes with the base engine offering, i.e., the V-8 with a GVWR of 14050 pounds. Choosing the V-10 engine option (additional cost) provides more power and an increased GVWR to 14500 pounds.

IMO, there are two primary concerns with RVs built on the Mercedes Benz chassis: one is that the GVWR is a maximum of 11030 pounds, and the other is finding qualified service locations that will work on these rigs. I'd take these factors into account before seriously considering buying any unit on this chassis, particularly for fulltiming,

You are unlikely to find a Class B or C that has a residential refrigerator, unless one has been installed by a previous owner. Of course, this is something that you could change once you made a purchase.

The only rigs that I'm aware of that come with residential refrigerators are some of the high-end *all electric* Class A's.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I was thinking about the residential fridge in a B when I first saw this topic and wasn't sure how well it would work out due to the limited size of the B's battery bank. Maybe a bit more practical with lithium batteries that weigh less per watt.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I was thinking about the residential fridge in a B when I first saw this topic and wasn't sure how well it would work out due to the limited size of the B's battery bank. Maybe a bit more practical with lithium batteries that weigh less per watt.

http://www.roadtrek.com/models/e-trek/ - An all electric B, starting at $139,958 and yes it does have a compressor fridge. No queen bed.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Hi All,

I like Clarkie46's comment, "You have built in contradictions". Love it.

That is so true of the RV buying experience in my opinion. I caught the bug about 6 months ago and I am in long-term research phase due to two daughters and MANY semesters of college tuition; however, just a few of the variables of buying an RV involve:

1. Price!

2. Length, width, height.

3. Gas vs. Diesel

4. Ford (Chevy) vs. MB

5. Slides vs. no slides

6. Stand alone bed?

7. Bigger bath or bigger kitchen or bigger living space. If you go for all three, it is too long and too expensive.

I love the reseaarch phase, though! Anything is possible AND I get to learn from the pros like you!

GracieK, keep us updated!!!

Dean

http://www.roadtrek.com/models/e-trek/ - An all electric B, starting at $139,958 and yes it does have a compressor fridge. No queen bed.

Wow, 6 golf cart batteries in a sprinter based class B.

I fooled with their site a bit and can't believe some of the prices for options, check out the cost of a red one. Still you cn get something decent for 140-145 K if you don't get fancy.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Wow, 6 golf cart batteries in a sprinter based class B.

I fooled with their site a bit and can't believe some of the prices for options, check out the cost of a red one. Still you cn get something decent for 140-145 K if you don't get fancy.

We saw one at World Wide RV on Main Street in Mesa last winter when we were helping my mother-in-law find a smaller RV. Way too small for her or ourselves.

I was hoping someone had found a make/model I had missed :-)

I would caution you to make very sure that the two of you can actually live in an RV that is this small. No question that there are people who can, but not many and you will be spending just as much as you would for a nice class A. If you can really do this, I salute you but our experience was that with a 36' class A that had no slides, we were one of the smaller fulltime RVs for couples on the road. One of the bigger problems with the class B is the very limited storage. I think that a class C will be much better than a B.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Norcold, Nova Kool, and Vitrifrigo make compressor refrigerators that are pretty much direct replacements for the typical RV refrigerators. A while ago, someone on this forum replaced their RV frig with a Vitrifrigo unit. There were/are truck camper manufacturers that install/did install compressor frigs. No idea whether you could get Lazy Days, Roadtrek or Leisure Travel to substitute a compressor model, but it should not require a redesign of the space but probably some changes to the wiring and one less propane connection.

I would caution you to make very sure that the two of you can actually live in an RV that is this small.

Sue and I have owned two "small" motor homes.

The first was a Dodge "high top" and the second was a Winnebago Le Sharo. The van was fine for trips - even quite long trips - but I don't think we could have lived in it despite living at the time in our 32' cruising sailboat. And a 32' sailboat has far less room in it than a 32' RV. It also got 7mpg (Dodge 318 v8) no matter what I did. I'm sure modern units are much better... but not much bigger.

The second was a Winnebago LeSharo which we felt was a very creative design. We loved that our two kids sat in seats that were individual with drink holders and were far enough apart to eliminate the "he touched me!" issues. Those seats also became their beds. The rear dinette became a fairly comfortable almost queen-sized bed. But not walk-around.

The bathroom was very efficient. The walls and door pulled out to make enough room to go inside and use the facilities and then pushed back in to make room to walk past it.

It was what I would considered then to be the minimum for full-time use. And we were younger, slimmer, and far more flexible then.

I agree... a small Class C would be far more comfortable. I'd go with a Lazy Days, myself.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

You might look at the Nexus Phantom 28P, It is a little bigger at 29'7", but meets most of your requirements except the Fridge. At mid $60's it's a great price!

They are factory direct and might be able to swap out the fridge? The Gallery pictures on their website are of our RV. We purchased it last May, slightly used (2600 miles).

http://nexusrv.com/motorhomes/class-c

2005 Foretravel U270

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 

2016 Polaris RZR Turbo

Gracie -

I've just saw your post and I've not through the thread to see if anyone has mentioned these prior to me, but I saw the new Winnebago Trend at an RV show here. They're - and their Itasca equivalent - are impressive and might work for you. Best of luck, and please let us know what you select. Thanks,

Joe

Archived