Posting photos inline fails with You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

budeneighe

I can insert the URL into the INSERT PICTURE ICON popup and it appears in the post just fine. But when I try to save it I am told You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

It makes no sense and appears that it is possible to do it because the picture shows in the post.

Is there an admin setting somewhere that is not set correctly to allow users to do this for the forums? The message implies that this must be true.

With more and more image hosting sites going to shortened URLs for links it is becoming very difficult to post photos, screen clips and excerpts without a whole lot of external Rube Goldbergian procedures that usually will quickly sap away any desire to actually try to help someone else.

Here is an example:

2015-01-20_18-55-52.png

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

That warning message (below) is there to tell you that you have run into an issue with the forum's administrative security settings. I doubt that the admins will be willing to weaken them to make posting an image easier since all that is needed for most services is to get the actual URL of the image and use that. The forum shows you the preview because YOU posted the link and if you did something malicious and infect yourself they don't really care. They block it from public view so you can't use iffy links to infect someone else, that they care about.

We get several dozen spammers here every day and if they could post iffy links there would be a whole lot of unhappy campers with computer cooties of one variety or another.

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

If you post the link you tried to use in a code tag, the <> button above someone will try to help sort out the steps to get it working.

code tag shows the full URL

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=115559#entry750943

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Slightly off topic, but Stanley did bring it up, many of these spammers are posting from identical or similar IP addresses. Why can't these IP addresses be blocked? We did do that in a couple of PC forums I attend. This might help to alleviate part of the Spam problem.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Why can't these IP addresses be blocked? We did do that in a couple of PC forums I attend. This might help to alleviate part of the Spam problem.

We do block them once they make a post, but it is difficult to anticipate posts. Also, keep in mind that the IT staff are busy developing an entirely new website to get it into operation, as announced in the last issue of the magazine. I suspect that may have them just a little bit busy right now.. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Stan. I sure hope the new site is going to be a lot more user friendly.

Google Photos has unlimited photo storage as long as they are no larger than 2048 x 2048 in size so for this kind of use, it is ideal right now.

Google photos is about the only mechanism right now that does not impose a lot of mechanical manipulation to get an image, whether a photo, screen clip or whatever from it to post properly in a topic on SKPs.

I do a lot of "by example" clips to attempt to clarify the text. Going from a screen clip to SKP is about the most involved of all of the processes but the one I need to use the most.

As in past years when an update or a platform change was pending.... I guess I will just have to wait and see to find out whether this will be any better or not.

Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I think the forum software may do some IP blocking but a lot of the spam comes from places that we also get real posters from. I'm not familiar with the admin side of IP Board so I don't know the details of how the blocking works.

I guess I could look at the IP Board website and try to figure things out but I'd rather bathe in a bucket of cold hog snot that deal with IP Board.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Ah, Stan.. maybe you are not alone. It sure seems like this is the view from admins, too.

Still, a video of your proposal has gotta win something on America's Funniest Videos. Two kids pretending to be tugging on an invisible rope across a neighborhood street got $100,000.00 . Heck, my BIL and I did that in the 7th Grade about 1957 but we barely had 8mm cameras then, and no one could afford to frivolously shoot film except Alan Funt.

I'd bet the faces you would make would really be camera worthy, though.

Archived