Crock Pot Pot Roast

Velos

There are some variables here, such as size of roast, size of vegetables etc.

So here goes: There are only two of us; so I'm not fixing a large roast (maybe 3# chuck or arm roast). I always brown and season the roast in a little oil first to seal in juices.I put the veggies on top and with medium to larger size potatoes, cut in half and good sized carrots

(not the wimpy baby carrots, unless they are larger size). I warm the crockpot a little with a little water in it, as I'm browning the roast.

After browning, I put the roast in and add a little water to the pan I browned the roast in and pour that in; so after this I have maybe a 1/2" of liquid in bottom of crockpot. Cover the roast with a packet of dry onion soup mix and a can of Campbells's golden mushroom soup. Place the veggies on top and, crockpot on high for 20-30 minutes then to low. for about 4 hours or so depending on size of roast. Makes it's own gravy.

Size of veggies, depends on how long you think it will take to finish roast.

I know this is way more than you asked for, but I just felt like giving one of my versions for crockpot roast for the benefit of others who may view this post.

There are some variables here, such as size of roast, size of vegetables etc.

So here goes: There are only two of us; so I'm not fixing a large roast (maybe 3# chuck or arm roast). I always brown and season the roast in a little oil first to seal in juices.I put the veggies on top and with medium to larger size potatoes, cut in half and good sized carrots

(not the wimpy baby carrots, unless they are larger size). I warm the crockpot a little with a little water in it, as I'm browning the roast.

After browning, I put the roast in and add a little water to the pan I browned the roast in and pour that in; so after this I have maybe a 1/2" of liquid in bottom of crockpot. Cover the roast with a packet of dry onion soup mix and a can of Campbells's golden mushroom soup. Place the veggies on top and, crockpot on high for 20-30 minutes then to low. for about 4 hours or so depending on size of roast. Makes it's own gravy.

Size of veggies, depends on how long you think it will take to finish roast.

I know this is way more than you asked for, but I just felt like giving one of my versions for crockpot roast for the benefit of others who may view this post.

Sure wish we had a LIKE feature here! ... Thanks for the how to! :D

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

I use a Searious cooker. It functions as a stove top so you can sauté onions etc and brown the meat. You then switch it to crockpot. All the favors stay in one pot. I usually add potatoes with the meat and add carrots etc later.

Coleen M. Elkins

Escapee Since August 2008

Full-time 2004 Holiday Rambler Scepter

with one retired husband and two very sweet Border Collies

Wintering in Arizona 

I usually put mine on the bottom right from the get go. I keep them very large though.. ie., full size carrots cut in half, onion and potatoes cut into quarters, peppers sliced in about 3/4" strips. Sear and season the roast and plop that on top of the veggies, then a couple of whole cloves of garlic perched on top. About half way through I'll smash the garlic cloves about and flip the roast.

I've always put the veggies in the bottom and I never brown the roast. I add a pkg of fresh mushrooms on the top and sprinkle dry onion soup mix on everything. Sprinkle a few spoons of water and don't peek until 8 hr. later.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Carrots in the juice as deep as possible, unpeeled (to avoid sogginess and disintegration) potatoes on top of them and onion halves on top of the meat. Unbrowned meat, lightly oiled on the bottom and everything else goes in at the start. A teaball full of whole or coarse ground spices goes down with the carrots.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I love pot roast but rarely cook it as it is just the two of us so am very rusty on technique. It is raining today so I thought it would be great "comfort" food.

We have company coming for lunch so I put a 5 lb roast in the crock pot on high at 5 am. I combined your suggestions and put in a can of beef broth, cream of mushroom soup. course ground black pepper and a packet of onion soup mix. DH did the produce shopping yesterday and brought home small packaged carrots and baby red potatoes so I will wait to put them a 1/2 way thru the cooking time so they don't get mushy.

Next time will just get large unpeeled carrots and potatoes to go on the bottom from the start.

Going to serve with a green salad and bakery cookies for dessert.

Thanks again.

a can of beef broth, cream of mushroom soup

Wow. That's a lot of "juice". Might come out more like a stew than a pot roast. Should have noted in mine too.. unpeeled on the carrots and potatoes. Usually large Yukon's, or just halved red tatoes.

Another good one you might try for a cold day.. pretty much the same (minus the garlic cloves and peppers) but substitute a cut up fryer with your cream of mushroom soup (adding the 3/4 can of milk). Serve with some of those instant buttermilk biscuits.

2Gypsies pack of fresh mushrooms on top sure sounds delicious. I'll have to try that next time around.

Wow. That's a lot of "juice". Might come out more like a stew than a pot roast. Should have noted in mine too.. unpeeled on the carrots and potatoes. Usually large Yukon's, or just halved red tatoes.

Another good one you might try for a cold day.. pretty much the same (minus the garlic cloves and peppers) but substitute a cut up fryer with your cream of mushroom soup (adding the 3/4 can of milk). Serve with some of those instant buttermilk biscuits.

2Gypsies pack of fresh mushrooms on top sure sounds delicious. I'll have to try that next time around.

The roast is a little over 5lbs so pretty tall. The juice so far only comes up an inch on the side of the roast but good point. I will lift it to put the potatoes and carrots underneath.

Thanks for the tip for the cut up fryer, sound delicious. Do you brown them ahead of time? or just right into the crock pot?

I love mushrooms but don't always have fresh around so found these: Chunky Portabella they are pricey but the difference between portabella and white is amazing and the convenience of always have a can on hand is great for last minute touches. I first found them at a Walmart but have yet to see them there again so I buy them on Amazon. I add them shortly before serving just to warm them up. Great topping on steaks, chops or chicken, or in gravy, in casseroles and veggie dishes.

Thanks for the tip for the cut up fryer, sound delicious. Do you brown them ahead of time? or just right into the crock pot?

I just cut em up.. peel the skin.. give it a rub of Johnny salt n black pepper and toss em in. If I get real smancy I will marinate them skinless in a bag with some of that instant Italian dressing (that one where you add vinegar and oil) over night, then just toss em in. It comes out like a really light and rich chicken pot pie with all that marrow.

Portabella's would definitely be tasty. I'm usually out and about and just take advantage of whatever I can find.

Love to hear how the roast turned out. I've never added stock before. ~ Cheers

I just cut em up.. peel the skin.. give it a rub of Johnny salt n black pepper and toss em in. If I get real smancy I will marinate them skinless in a bag with some of that instant Italian dressing (that one where you add vinegar and oil) over night, then just toss em in. It comes out like a really light and rich chicken pot pie with all that marrow.

Portabella's would definitely be tasty. I'm usually out and about and just take advantage of whatever I can find.

Love to hear how the roast turned out. I've never added stock before. ~ Cheers

Success.

I put the potatoes and carrots under the roast half way thru the cooking time and they were just right. I chopped up the portabella mushrooms added to the gravy and served on the table. No problem with too much juice made for good amount of gravy but with a smaller roast 2 or 3 lbs probably wouldn't add the broth or not the whole can.

Will try the chicken suggestions next weekend.

Archived