How do you find the data hog?

BrianT

Download "TheDude" from Mikrotik (and consider using their routers). It gives you an excellent graphic showing all the various IP addresses your computer is trying to connect to.

http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

I have a data hog somewhere. And I haven't been able to figure out where.

I didn't have that problem with my previous computer. So far, I've turned off automatic updates and it is very basic browsing. No movies, no videos, no large picture files. I'm talking email, Facebook, weather, a half dozen forums, and just general surfing.

It's the kind of stuff I did day after day on my old competed and I rarely went over 3 or 4 G a month.

It's become easy to go through 1 to 2 Gig of data a day!! That is absurd. And I just can't figure out where its going. And yes, I am using a password on the hotspot.

I do find that using the same websites through just the smartphone (this forum being an example, I'm typing / pecking out letters now), I use very little data. But turning on the hotspot and running the computer, the data floodgates open wide.

I've run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and Windows Defender. No change.

I have to be missing something.

Any ideas? I can't afford to blow through this much data and my smartphone is too small to do much reading on.

Have you taken into consideration your provider might be wrong? You can look on your computer and see how much bandwidth you have used compared to your bill.

I had this problem with Verizon. So didn't a lot of other people!!! They billed me for GB's I didn't use. I ended up getting my money back through BBB. If you want the whole story you can read about it here....... https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1174566#1174566

Is your computer being used by hackers for their own purposes.... sending out phishing emails? Denial of Service attacks? In a botnet? All of those would show up in high bandwidth usage.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Archived