Quick WFRanger Boost question

I haven't looked at my WFRanger Control Panel for a long time. If memory serves, you could scan for WiFi either with or without the Boost. This would be in the Main tab under the WiFi section. With the current software (6.6.5p1) I don't see the Boost option anymore under the WiFi tab. However, under setup, there still is a WFRBoost option.

Is the Boost now integrated with the overall system so it is always on, or do I need to set it up somewhere?

Thanks,

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Hi John,

You still need to configure the Boost. In the setup tab, click on the cog on the far right under settings. Select the Boost type that you are using. Select the port. If you are using the POE/WFR port and the choices are Wan, 1,2,3,4 select 4. If it shows ports 1,2,3,4,5 select 5. Click on save and the Boost should configure. Sometimes it will take a little while and sometimes it takes more than one try.

After the Boost is configured, it should show on the Main tab under WIFI and you can select it or the internal WIFI and then scan and connect with the one you have selected.

Hope this helps!!

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Thanks, good start but not quite there yet. Note that this was working some time ago but I don't recall how long its been since I looked at the WFR Control panel; it has always just worked. This is the first time in over a year that I am actively looking at extending my range using WFRBoost.

I have the Ubiquiti Bullet, and it is powered off of port 5 (which is blue on my Go, not yellow like the Go2). Under the "Test box", the "WFRBoost is not configured" is greyed out. After several saves, it changes to "Test WFRBoost". The Status changes to "Attempting to connect to IP XXX.XXX.XX.XX" , wait a minute, and then Status changes to "NOT CONFIGURED WFRBoost not configured" and the "Test WFRBoost box" os greyed out again. Same result if I click on the "Test WFRBoost" button.

I have run through this maybe 4 times, always the same result. Any suggestions appreciated.

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

What IP address is it trying to connect to? What does the Boost tab have in the IP address box? They changed some things in the firmware updates so if it does not say 192.168.250.20; try that IP address. Also make sure that the username and password are ubnt unless you changed them in the past.

You may have to go into the Bullet and change the IP addressing. I don't remember how to do that. At one time there was directions on the WFR website that explained how to get the WFR and the Boost using the same IP addressing system.

Good Luck!

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Hi John:

It's important that the firmware in your Boost be the latest version. If you bought it from WFR several years ago and haven't updated it, that should be the first thing you do. The Bullet will work with current WiFiRanger firmware, but it is not always a simple procedure. You can download the software on the Ubiquiti website here: http://www.ubnt.com/download/ The firmware you want is: XS2.ar2316.v4.0.3.5058.130328.1054.bin If you don't know how to upgrade AirOS, Google "upgrade ubnt bullet firmware" and read through the search results. On the Ubiquity website, the Bullet you have is listed among the Legacy products. (An item that is 4 years old is prehistoric in the electronics business! ;) )

I'd recommend you reset the Boost (not your WFR Go) to factory defaults with the reset button on the bottom, and then, when verified by logging into AirOS, that it is running in "station bridge mode", plug into the Go and let it configure. The Go will automatically reset your Boost to a 192.168.250.20 IP. Make sure, in the Go's control panel, that you have selected the proper Ubiquity product. If you follow this procedure it should then work.

The reason that WiFiRanger sells the MobileTi these days rather than the Boost is that connecting a MobileTi is a "plug 'n play" process, whereas connecting a Boost can be problematic.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Joel, can we clarify a little what you are saying?

1) Does the Boost facility only work with certain firmware levels of airOS? If so, what levels. You need to be specific eg. airOS v5.4.4 or later. If you are restricting the levels you need to tell people. "The latest" is not sufficient. Either that, or no longer support "boost" as a generic facility.

2) Using terms like MobileTi when discussing the Boost is confusing. The Boost in my mind refers to a generic ability to interface to any airOS device (perhaps at a certain firmware level). NOT a specific device sold by WFR. The MobileTi is not necessarily the same as a Bullet M Titanium sourced directly from Ubiquity.

The entire area of "boost" needs some work from an explanation and setup perspective. I realize that WFR is not focussing on that aspect of the product, but it does retain it. And since it does then it should be explained better. I've encountered this in trying to explain how a boost works and is configured in some stuff I am presently working on. We can discuss this offline if you like....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack:

WiFiRanger tries to provide support to customers, such as John, who purchased relabeled Ubiquity Bullets through WFR as WFRBoosts. We do NOT provide support to customers who purchase Ubiquity Bullets directly and try to connect them to their WiFiRanger products. We are aware that there are people who prefer to buy Bullets on their own so as to save some money compared to buying a MobileTi. That is their prerogative; it is also our prerogative not to provide them any technical support. When I refer to WFRBoost I am referring ONLY to people who bought these items through WFR.

As you are well aware the MobileTi is a Bullet with WiFiRanger firmware. I don't think there is any confusion about what it is.

When I suggested that John update to the latest Ubiquity software it was to minimize any issues in connecting his device. There are probably older versions of the firmware that will work, but it's better to start off with a known current version. I told him the specific software to download which was the current one as of a couple of weeks ago. I seriously doubt that Ubiquity is spending much effort creating newer versions of firmware for "legacy" products.

Although we will provide assistance to Boost customers like John, it should be recognized that the Boost was marketed 4 years ago and there have been numerous WFR firmware updates since. WFR has ensured that all of our "legacy" products (even the oldest WFR Pro's) are compatible with the current WFR firmware and will continue to be compatible with the upcoming 7.0 release. However, we do not design the software with regard to compatibility of these "legacy" Ubiquity products. So far they continue to be usable but we do not guarantee that will continue indefinitely.

I think this responds to your concerns. I wanted to post this publicly so that other WFRBoost customers could read it. You have my email address if you want to discuss the matter further.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Joel, YOU used the term MobileTi when discussing the Boost.....but I'm glad to see you edited your post. It is confusing....a Boost is NOT a MobileTi and in fact a Boost is not even a Bullet Titanium.Or even a Bullet.....it is a specific variant of Ubiquity hardware/firmware sold by WFR. It has specific firmware and hardware requirements that are not documented as far as I can see. Thus the confusion.

I don't expect WFR to support everything forever. But it would be good to know what levels of firmware ARE supported, assuming you continue to allow Boost. Actually, I'm surprised you do that, and I have advised people for years that it may not continue to work in the future. And I don't suggest for even a minute that it should be supported....

Also, in the "Setup" tab under WFRBoost it says - and I quote - "Via An Ubiquity CPE Device...." That would imply ANY Ubiquity CPE device - NOT just the hardware sold by WFR as the "Boost" years ago. And in fact several devices were sold. Again, if you are going to support it, you should be clear what you support - firmware wise. It is satisfactory (to me) to say that old firmware and hardware is not supported. But the implication is otherwise.

BTW, the newer UBIQUITY OS versions do not always work with the older devices. Ask me how I know :) People have under $100 hardware....they should expect to replace it after 3-4 years. IMO. (Talking about the Boost stuff).

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Joel, YOU used the term MobileTi when discussing the Boost.....but I'm glad to see you edited your post. It is confusing......

Also, in the "Setup" tab under WFRBoost it says - and I quote - "Via An Ubiquity CPE Device...." That would imply ANY Ubiquity CPE device - NOT just the hardware sold by WFR as the "Boost" years ago. And in fact several devices were sold. Again, if you are going to support it, you should be clear what you support - firmware wise. It is satisfactory (to me) to say that old firmware and hardware is not supported. But the implication is otherwise.

Jack:

I made no substantive changes to my original post subsequent to reading yours. I always try to avoid revising older posts that others may have already read because they may be unaware of changes made later. The only line I changed 5 minutes after reading yours was the addition of the sentence: (An item that is 4 years old is prehistoric in the electronics business! ;) )

I appreciate you bringing to my attention the "Via An Ubiquity CPE Device" issue. I will immediately make sure that those words are removed from the 7.0 release before it goes public.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Mine works (Original WFRBoost - bought when they first came out) but I did update the firmware of the Bullet/WFRBoost to XS2.ar2316.v4.0.3.5058.130328.1054 as Joel mentioned above.

The IP is 192.168.250.20 as joel states. I am using a GO as the router.

Also, I replaced the DC pod with an AC POE. This was because WFR determined that the pods were having an issue with providing enough power.

I have the WFRBoost connected to LAN 2 in the GO with the Ethernet setting also to LAN2.

I would also suggest that when the boost is setup - then click the SAVE button at the bottom of the Setup page. Whenever I have a connection issue with the WFRBoost all I need to do is check the setup settings and click the SAVE button and the boost will connect and give a green ONLINE notification.

Then I go the main tab and the radio button option for the WFRBoost is now available. Click that and do a scan - then choose the desired connection.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

The issue of power to the device is a general issue for all POE equipment. If you start to have flakey things happen the first thing is to determine if you are getting enough power to the device. You should if you use the POE recommended by the device manufacturer. I generally try to run off of direct DC power for all my devices.....but that is not always possible, depending on the length of the Ethernet run. The farther away the device is, the less likely that the 12-volt direct is going to work - EVEN IF it would meet the specs initially. Generally the older Bullets will run on straight 12 volt. Newer UBNT devices generally will not.

Joel, thanks for clarifying the firmware.

www.jackdanmayer.com

The older "black" units are pretty much outdated due to their limited RAM and slow processors.

WFR has ensured that all of our "legacy" products (even the oldest WFR Pro's) are compatible with the current WFR firmware and will continue to be compatible with the upcoming 7.0 release.

Joel

The first quote was related to the last update... :huh:

So which is it? :unsure:

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

The first quote was related to the last update... :huh:

So which is it? :unsure:

Dave

The older black units are slow and have limited memory but the new software will still run on them. There's no contradiction. It's like saying that an old Pentium 4 computer with 1GB of RAM can still run Windows 8, but I wouldn't want to use it.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Archived