AT&T joins T-Mobile in offering Rollover Data

AT&T just announced this morning that later this month all Mobile Share plan customers will have a new Rollover Data feature added to their plans.

The deal isn't as robust as T-Mobile's new Data Stash program, but with AT&T still offering double data deals - this makes them a compelling carrier for RVers.

Here's our article on the announcement which highlights some of the catches:

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Interesting, they only let you bank it one month and only use it after you use up your normal amount. The example in the fine print KodiakJack linked to was for a 15GB plan, where only 10GB was used in a month, leaving 5GB of roll over.

Example with a 15GB Share plan:

Month 1 use 10GB, push 5GB to Month 2

Month 2 use 12GB, lose 5GB roll over from Month 1, but now have 3GB of roll over for Month 3

Month 3 use 17GB, 15GB of plan plus 2GB of 3GB of roll over from Month 2. Lose the other 1GB of roll over from Month 2. No roll over to Month 4.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I think it is pretty evident that AT&T is responding to T-Mobile. T-Mobile does let you bank for use in the following 12 months. I honestly think that for either company it is more marketing than you really gaining something. In my opinion most people are not going to really change their data usage habits just because they have the extra data stored up.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

At the billing reset date, we download some movies for the next month. So, yah. I would change the way I do things.

Perhaps you are correct. We just have never found ourselves that dependent on our cell phone plans for data. We are either in our S&B or campgrounds with internet access. And honestly, if it is a movie we really want to watch, I prefer just buying it, so we can watch it over and over, or partially and then pick it up several days later. That's us. /shrug/

Well, anything is better than nothing. It would not make me leave Verizon, though. Let hope Verizon is forced to respond in like....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

At the billing reset date, we download some movies for the next month. So, yah. I would change the way I do things.

Yep, it will help me as well. I've got both Verizon and AT&T (40GB each) and will make sure to use up my Verizon data first so that I can roll over some AT&T data. At the end of the second month, I'll be downloading my movies.

There is another consideration on these "roll over" claims. For example, our plan is 3GB per line of high speed data. However, the plan says we have 'unlimited' data. The reality is that we truly do have unlimited data, but after 3GB, the carrier has the right to throttle down the speed. They will not cut us off, just slow us down. So we really never loose data, we just have to take it at a slower speed. I agree, that might be annoying, but it is not the end of the world.

Archived