Black screen on laptop ..HELP

Lets start at the beginning.

When you turn it on, do you get the CMOS screen. That is the one where you get the option to change basic things such as boot drive etc.?

If not, then it could be your hard drive.

or it could be power supply (least likely so far).

Next

Does it seem to start booting into the OS and stall?

Do some of the small lights for disc drive or battery come on? That would seem to be OS.

Lets keep it simple so far.

Well I just missed your update as far as power goes.

I am guessing it makes it to the OS.

Do you get the options for booting screen?

If you do, try to go into Save Mode.

Does the light on the DVD player go on? If so, you could try to boot a recovery disk.

I don't know your hardware, so you would need to look into that.

5 years is not an old system. I just helped a lady with a 2009 Win7 system changes.

You say this is the 3rd time in a week but you were able to recover the past two times. What did you do to recover?

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Tell us exactly what you have done that has resulted in it working again. We need a little help here. How had it been turned off the last time you used it? Was it Shutdown completely or just in Sleep or Hibernation mode?

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

It was shut down completely. First I unplug and remove battery. Then hold power button down for 15 sec. Then plug it back in and first time it worked. Second time did same as above but also had to go to the next step. Press windows key and B key at same time and press on button. It worked but now nothing is working.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

Bob, you're getting into some deep water doing BIOS recoveries. It's beginning to sound like a major motherboard failure of some sort. Could be a lot of things, but none are pretty. As long as the machine is plugged in and the battery is not completely dead you should be getting something. Sounds like it may be time for a late Christmas present to yourself.

I'm not what you would call a computer expert but if you do get it up and running it might be a good idea to update drivers before you shut it down again. Just a thought.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I had a similar problem some time ago - the problem was that the flat cable that connects the screen to the mother board developed a 'crack'. It works intermittently for a couple of days but that failed totally. I forget the details, but I was able to connect the laptop to a TV as a monitor and recover the files and got a new lap top.

A new lap top was cheaper than fixing the old one - and it would still be an old one.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

I had a similar problem some time ago - the problem was that the flat cable that connects the screen to the mother board developed a 'crack'. It works intermittently for a couple of days but that failed totally. I forget the details, but I was able to connect the laptop to a TV as a monitor and recover the files and got a new lap top.

A new lap top was cheaper than fixing the old one - and it would still be an old one.

John

Ain't that the truth!

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

Bob,

Glad you got it replaced. Now if you can, hook up the dead laptop's HDMI to a TV or external monitor with the VGA port. Boot. If you see your screen then your screen light source, either a fluorescent tube or led, failed. Or the connector as mentioned. That recent of a system will use a SATA hard drive. Pick up an external 2.5" head drive enclosure like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS14F8919&cm_re=external_hard_drive_enclosure-_-9SIA1DS14F8919-_-Product

Which allows you tonap your laptop drive in the case and use it like any other small external drive.

Or an external drive dock like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817801120

Which allows you to use any internal laptop 2.5" or 3.5" SATA drive and swap out easily to use, read or write HDs.

Then just Google removing replacing your model laptop hard drive, remove it, pop it in the enclosure or drive dock and copy over all your pics, docs, etc. over to your new laptop. Then format the external drive once you get everything off of it and use it as an external storage drive.

This is really easy to do.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Before I bought my new Toshiba I took my old HP to the repair shop. He tried several things including attaching a external monitor and nothing. He said it would be best to buy a new one. After a 3-4 hour search I decided

Ed on the Toshiba Satelite 17.3 and the repair shop is transferring the info from the old to the new. He's also making the 8.1 act like my old windows 7.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

Good for you Bob, sounds like all's well that ends well.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived