Channel 18) has gone dark for Central and Eastern Kentuckians who use DirecTV.

WLEX General Manager Pat Dalbey said DirecTV stopped the signal for the station to its users after midnight Dec. 31. Negotiations between the company which owns WLEX, Cordillera Communications, and DirecTV were unsuccessful, which resulted in the signal being dropped. The dispute is over pricing, Dalbey said, and it affects all 13 television stations owned by Cordillera. WLEX is the only Kentucky station owned by the company

The same is true here in Colorado Springs. What really stinks is that here, at least, it is an NBC affiliate and that is where the Super Bowl is going to be shown.

I really do not understand the reasoning behind the dispute. I would think that an over-the-air station would be pleased that the DirecTv and Dish rebroadcast their signals. It quite likely means a wider audience and therefore wider exposure to the ads that pay their bills. Oh, well.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I can, but, we will be in Leander, TX for the Super Bowl. Our daughter has DirecTv too but they are not cut off from their local station. I just feel sorry for my neighbors as most of them have DirecTv and while the over-the-air digital antennas are not expensive, it is just a pain to have find a place to mount it, hook it up, etc.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

The same is true here in Colorado Springs. What really stinks is that here, at least, it is an NBC affiliate and that is where the Super Bowl is going to be shown.

I really do not understand the reasoning behind the dispute. I would think that an over-the-air station would be pleased that the DirecTv and Dish rebroadcast their signals. It quite likely means a wider audience and therefore wider exposure to the ads that pay their bills. Oh, well.

A large part of a local station's income comes from the retransmission fees they collect from cable and satellite providers. A large part of the advertising revenue goes to the program content providers.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived