"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the lighter weight of one drive axle and less rolling resistance, I picked up a solid 2mpg on my first test trip (approx. 25 miles at around 65mph, no drafting).

16445937302_1611a3f125_b.jpg

Yes, I see the ABS light. I'm going to take it to the Volvo dealership in ATL to get it programmed for the single drive axle.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

If anyone was curious about weights. This was with only 13g in the tanks. I wanted it to be as light as possible on the scales.

16445941642_cbd41591ea_b.jpg

This is typical after singling, although with empty tanks it's particularly bad, rear axle less than 50% of the front, mine was like that after singling. Very dangerous vehicle when braking hard, extremely dangerous vehicle when wet or slick.

I almost swapped ends on several occasions and went through couple intersections (rather than swap ends). Super heavy ET (850 pounds), steel deck and very large drom,

2953745420096176628dwBnln_fs.jpg

fixed that behavior. I'm almost 50/50, with drom loaded I am at 50/50

I'm very partial to the wings. I would like to keep them if possible.

As for the ramps, I plan on pulling a toy hauler perpetually, so I will also have the storage portion of the trailer. I appreciate all of the measurements. I'm going to pull tape on it this weekend and see where things shake out.

Wings are nice and useful too. Then may I suggest a better study of this truck.

Sonshine%2520Express%25201_c.JPG

DSC_0504.JPG

A 15 inch drom will fit about even with wings. Note that the wings handle was turned around, it's still usable in that position but it reduces the clearance that would be needed for Smart. Ramps were stored topside.

DSC_0515.JPG

Deck dimensions were as follows. Original rails were not cut, actually they were extended, I think about 18 inches.

brett%2520truck%2520assy%2520jpeg%25205.

I posted an album of details how I built it here. https://picasaweb.google.com/101586473487712642142/JeffBrettWonderbed# Enjoy.

We weigh 18420 total, 10280 on the front, 8140 on the rear. The front is with the baby Cummins M11 so we're nowhere near overloaded. Even with our rear weight and torque, if a light turns red when I hit the first stop/turn signage I'll blow the light rather than slide thru it. With the extra 4800lb pin weight it's not a problem, but bobtailing can be interesting.

On a side note, when we brought our truck back from Michigan the week before Thanksgiving last year, there was a winter storm blowing across the central North US. While following a long line of single file trucks pushing thru several inches of snow, we bumped off a bridge (that little drop) and started a sideways downhill slide for probably 1/2 mile before I could get it to correct. The rear acted like it was on ice for about 300 miles before the roads cleared enough for decent traction.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

bm,

The truck is looking great. Looking forward to seeing the progress on the deck. I spec'ed my truck based on the drawings phoenix posted above. Trying to future proof somewhat I did a 15" deep drom box and 236" WB so we would have room if moving to the new wider Smart Car. The 15" drom is about even with the back of the fairings.

DSCF0190.JPG

I think that's the first time I have seen your truck. It looks great. Very nice setup.

Who built your bed? Did you do a 230" wheelbase? It looks a little longer than mine.

Thank You :)

Larry Herrin built my bed and I have a 228" wheelbase.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I have a bunch of info that may interest you on my build album. Herrin did my bed as well. I have a 230" wheelbase. The only thing I'd do different is to extend the overhang another 5" for the larger smarts.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have a bunch of info that may interest you on my build album. Herrin did my bed as well. I have a 230" wheelbase. The only thing I'd do different is to extend the overhang another 5" for the larger smarts.

That's definitely helpful. Thanks, Jack. I appreciate the other information as well. I definitely want to be long enough to haul a Smart on the rear. I'm going to try to do initial measurements this weekend when we get back from cave camping at Raccoon Mountain!

I see almost everyone using a winch to load the Smart onto the deck. I'm curious as to why that is. Are the Smarts too "twitchy" to safely drive up and stop on the bed? I test drove one a few weeks ago, but I wasn't paying close enough attention to that at the time to know.

If you look carefully on the right side of the Smart in the drawing you'll notice 17" dimension. Also note that the datum line for all the dimension to the left is not lined up with the rail line "cut". In the "real world" of that truck, the rail line cut was lined up exactly with the BOC. The offset from the cut to the datum line is 2", The datum line lines up with the front wall of the drom. Drom is 15", subtrac this from 17" it leaves 2" (clearance from the drom to the Smart).

Might seem a little "skimpy" and it is, but it works. BOC slopes forward as you go up and away from the drom, it can't come in contact with the drom no matter what the cab does.

2" from the Smart to the drom is tight, but winching the Smart up gives you good control where it goes and the 2" of clearance can be maintained.

Which goes back to your question above, yes, the Smart can be driven up the ramps and number of people "have the skill" how to do it routinely and certainly even more people drive them down without a winch, but you better plan on more than 2" of clearances when doing it. Then, the question is where you end up in the car after you are up and how you open the door to get out, or crawl over the shifter. I don't think too many folks would recommend backing up the ramps. I suppose you could "ramp things up" from the passenger side, but that hasn't been "the tradition".

You are probably asking, "why such piddly clearances, 2 inches here and 2 inches there". If you love the wings and you want to mount a drom between them, you don't have clearance space to spare to put a Smart there also. On a truck singled mid. you'll find it out (once you take a tape to the rails and start marking or putting tapes on them at the distances needed) that those rails "get short" in a hurry.

those rails "get short" in a hurry.

That's what I'm afraid of. If it wasn't for us really liking our neighborhood and it being so tight to get the trailer in and out, I would definitely have added 6-8" of wheelbase. I don't see us moving our home anytime soon, so the tighter wheelbase will be necessary. I'll have to get length from behind the axle.

I see almost everyone using a winch to load the Smart onto the deck. I'm curious as to why that is. Are the Smarts too "twitchy" to safely drive up and stop on the bed? I test drove one a few weeks ago, but I wasn't paying close enough attention to that at the time to know.

There are a few who drive up, but it's not easy. Also remember that the Smart has a dry clutch--trying to creep forward up an incline is either difficult to control or gets the clutch plate really hot. You'd basically have to "go for it" in one shot. In practice, winching probably also means that it's more practical to load with shorter ramps, and you can make minor corrections on the way up.

BTW--I've stayed at Raccoon Mountain before. Didn't get to go in the caves though as there had been a ton of rain. I'll be passing through there in a couple of weeks.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

bmzero. We are kinda new to this as well. There are a few very minor things we would have changed, but overall are extremely happy with our build and builder. You can go to my Facebook page ,Photos, = Albums, = Volvo build and see our progress if it will help you in any way. This site is a wealth of information, and if we can help we certainly will. Also maybe plan on the ECR rally in Tennessee in April. The info is on here and we are planning to attend .

The best of luck !!

Denver and Judy Geitgey

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

bmzero. We are kinda new to this as well. There are a few very minor things we would have changed, but overall are extremely happy with our build and builder. You can go to my Facebook page ,Photos, = Albums, = Volvo build and see our progress if it will help you in any way. This site is a wealth of information, and if we can help we certainly will. Also maybe plan on the ECR rally in Tennessee in April. The info is on here and we are planning to attend .

The best of luck !!

Denver and Judy Geitgey

Thanks, Denver. We are planning on going to the Rally.

What is the link to your Facebook page?

Also, if any of you guys would like to put your builds on FollowMyBuild.com, please let me know. That's a product I'm developing. It's still in private beta right now, but it is usable and we're adding features weekly. If you create an account, please let me know and I'll approve it so you can post your build.

Here's my build on the site - http://www.followmybuild.com/bmzero/Volvo-730-HDT-RV-Hauler

We should have a release later today that solidifies the "Follow" functionality.

bm,

I don't know about the newer SC's but even loading our car in the TH this past summer I had to take a run in and hit my marks for tie downs. If, I stopped on the ramp the car couldn't pull itself up. The little turbo diesel works good on the highway but has very little bottom end to pull it up the ramps. That's why a winch system or hydraulic loader bed is much safer with our car. :)

I am new here also and was fortunate to buy a truck & Smart car all set up, just like the previous owner we drive ours up on the truck, load from the passenger side and unload from the driver side. I will also be at the East Coast rally to soak up all the info and advice I can get.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

DBLR Just curious, do you put both sets of ramps down when you load...? I can just imagine what I would do. The first time or two it would take three people Me to drive, Judy to direct, and someone to hold the movie camera.... What the heck, I might as well be in the running for $10,000.00 on AFV.

BMZERO, Here is the link , I hope it works. I'm not as much as a tech as I wish I was,... or my Grandkids are ...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.815589488466226.1073741827.100000455466313&type=1&l=50dd1881c0

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

NTPA, we have one set of ramps that fit on both sides and wheel chocks that fit in the side of the bed when the ramps are not in use. I have actually mastered loading & unloading by myself, but it does help when the wife is there to assist. Our Smart is a automatic, not sure if that helps going up the ramp plus the ramps are very wide.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

BMZERO, Here is the link , I hope it works. I'm not as much as a tech as I wish I was,... or my Grandkids are ...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.815589488466226.1073741827.100000455466313&type=1&l=50dd1881c0

Denver, your bed looks great. Those guys knocked it out of the park. I like that they drew up a lot of the parts and had them laser cut. I plan on doing that as well.

So, I just walked out of the DMV with a shiny new RV tag! That's a huge burden lifted off of my shoulders. I was pretty worried about that.

It turns out, I was worried for no reason, but I think I had an ace in the hole. When I bought the truck in Ohio, they issued me an Ohio title. I financed part of this truck, so when my credit union did the title application on my Alabama title, I asked them to put the body type as RV instead of TK. That made all of the difference in the world. The DMV never even questioned that it was a RV and they were perplexed when they couldn't find Volvo VNL 730 listed in their RV book. I tried to be very polite and answered every question I was asked truthfully, but I did not offer any information that wasn't requested. I came prepared for worst case with photos, truck in the parking lot, weigh ticket, and all proper documentation. Turns out, they didn't even look at the photos or the truck. They just went into the Alabama DOT system and added Volvo VNL 730 to the list. Now, anyone behind me should be able to breeze right through Alabama DMV. Easy as that.

When I got into the truck to leave the DMV I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I kept thinking they were going to run out the door screaming "give me back that license plate!"

Now I can print a smaller "Private Coach" sticker. :D

Archived