Cell phone signal amplifier

Twotoes

The RV park I am staying has free wifi but it is very slow. I want to use my iPad as a hot spot but my cell signal is only 3G. Is there a signal boost antenna that will increase my cell signal to 4G?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

You can't boost a signal and make a 3G one into 4G; they are completely different signals broadcast on different frequencies. Sometimes the 4G signal is too weak for a device to connect to and it will default to 3G; in those cases an amplified might enable it to connect with 4G. However, most of the time when you connect with 3G it's simply because there is no 4G signal and having an amplifier won't improve the situation. You don't say which carrier you are with but I know that Verizon has a very detailed coverage map which, when you expand it, provides a pretty accurate depiction of its 3G and 4G networks. I'm sure AT&T has something similar. The first thing I would do is check to see if you even have a 4G signal where you are; if you don't have it there's no point of buying an amplifier.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Since you have an iPad, you can download the app Coverage? (disclosure: we wrote the app) which will show you what type of signal is supposed to be in the area (3G, 4G, etc.) for each carrier. We created the app to know what to expect when heading to a location. If you're supposed to be getting 4G in your area, a booster like the Wilson Sleek or Mobile 4G could help out. If there's not 4G in the area, then a booster won't help.

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

• 4 weeks later...

This is the unit I've installed!...

https://www.cellularsolutions.com/product/460101.html

It works Very well!

It's mounted on the TV antenna so I can point it in the direction for the best reception!

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

Archived