New class B forum

skp51443

for what it's worth i think the sprinter vans are way over priced for what they are :blink: .

I don't. I wanted a quiet diesel with plenty of headroom for my tall husband so that pretty much meant a Sprinter. As to pricing--they are built in Germany, disassembled and crated, shipped to the USA, and reassembled. All that before the conversion process begins. How much would you charge to do all that? But, I do think the standard conversions are not worth as much as a custom job. Really, who would think a 10 gallon black tank is adequate?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...
Just chiming in with my thoughts on my Class B (Roadtrek):

I'm a boat liveaboard (with three rescue dogs and a rescue cat), so "space optimization" is essential :-)

I purchased my 2008 Roadtrek new and immediately removed the 3rd seat, located in front of the passenger side-door. It was simply in the way.

I agree Linda, headroom is required! I'm on the tall-ish side, so I enter/exit my rig from the passenger side-door.

I'm a boat live-aboard in Southern California, with my three rescue dogs and one rescue cat. Sounds crazy but it works :-) We all recently returned from a two-week RV trip to Southern Oregon and had an absolute blast!

The best thing about a 17' RV is it can park in a standard size lot ... anywhere! Campgrounds, grocery stores, breweries... :-)

Rachael, Snow, Oliver, Fiona and Gloria
2008 Roadtrek 170

Hi Dave, Dan here with the 94 Bluebird. We met at Livingston and toured each others coaches.

In a class B non sprinter, the Leisure Travel Vans Chevy Libero looks pretty good. WB is 177", and not quite a wide body. Still has a dry bath. Not a diesel, but service would be widely available as Chevy chassis.

If we ever get back into a sticks and bricks and part time RV it is one we will check out.

http://www.leisurevans.com/libero/specifications.html#anchor

I am now traveling in my 36' Foretravel, I have my 26' Lazy Daze, sitting at home base. This summer, I have become aware of the realities of age, along with missing access to many nice remot sites. When we return in Oct/Nov, I believe both of the "big" units will hit the market. We have owned, and used motorhomes, since the '70’s, traveling 6-8 months a year. Our ownership experience has included 2 Sprinter based B's, so we are pretty familiar with pluses and minuses of all types. Hoping Dodge or Ford will bring out a ~ 170" WB, diesel van. I loved our Sprinters, but was not comfortable with the lack of a dealer support network.

Dan - SKP club member

• 1 year later...

new class b owner with a pleasure way. my wife would not drive a class c, but she is comfortable with this class b.

question: how long a trip can be done? we are planning to build up two weeks at a time until we can do two to four months. we will start with the escapade. we live in southern california. goal is to be long term but not full time. any thoughts?

We lived full time in a Class B for four months before deciding to trade it in on a Class C. The two main problems were too small a black tank and not enough headroom for Dave. My last Class B was for me to solo snowbird and and I had it custom converted to get a 20 gallon black tank and headed out for six months. If you like each other enough to handle the close quarters, IMO, twelve months per year is the longest you can stay out there. :)

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Hi Shortgee and welcome. Later on when you guys feel the need to grow, don't overlook test driving a bigger Class B+ rig based on a chassis similar to to your Pleasure Way. We looked at PW's on a Sprinter chassis, but couldn't fit my small, breakdown handicap scooter in one. Our RV now is built on the same chassis as the PW we were looking at, but with more room. There are pics in another thread on the Class B Forum. Hope to see ya on the road. . .heading west from near Chicago late next year.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

We looked at PW's on a Sprinter chassis, but couldn't fit my small, breakdown handicap scooter in one.

That's the second reason I had a van custom made for me. Besides the bigger tanks I had them leave a 2' x 3' empty floor space just inside the passenger-side rear door for parking my TravelScoot. I could park the van out in the back 40 and ride my Scoot into Walmart then park the Scoot in its "garage" without even having to fold it.

Linda Sand

• 1 month later...

I'm still here even though my Class Bs are long gone. But, I have no idea what you want me to say. Ask a question and I'll write some sort of answer. :)

Linda Sand

No more Class Bs? I read your blog and noted that you and Dave are in an apartment in Minneapolis. Lucky for us, your vast experience is just what is needed for those of us who are just beginning the "Live Small" RV lifestyle, so hang on and we'll ask questions! My first one is, do you know anyone who has a used TravelScoot for sale? I looked at the new price and figured I'd have to take out a second mortgage to buy one. I even started a GoFundMe campaign, and three dear RV friends got me started, but I don't think it's going to go the distance. Looked at eBay but it's been a while so I'll check again. I would have never found TravelScoot if it weren't for your comment.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

No more Class Bs? I read your blog and noted that you and Dave are in an apartment in Minneapolis. Lucky for us, your vast experience is just what is needed for those of us who are just beginning the "Live Small" RV lifestyle, so hang on and we'll ask questions! My first one is, do you know anyone who has a used TravelScoot for sale? I looked at the new price and figured I'd have to take out a second mortgage to buy one. I even started a GoFundMe campaign, and three dear RV friends got me started, but I don't think it's going to go the distance. Looked at eBay but it's been a while so I'll check again. I would have never found TravelScoot if it weren't for your comment.

Sorry, already sold my first one when I upgraded from Flintstone reverse to powered reverse. But the TravelScoot people will put you in touch with others who want to sell if you call them. They are VERY friendly people.

Linda Sand

Still have the B+, which as usual is in storage for the winter, as we sit on our S Texas lot in our Phaeton. Getting ready to head for Indiana Sunday AM. Scoittiemom has back surgery in Indy March 24th. Will be at KOA E for at least a month.

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

• 5 weeks later...

We only camped with a tent up until one year ago.  Being in our 60's though made us realize we really needed creature comforts and so we bought a Camplite LivinLite trailer last year, a little 13' box.  It was ok but now...hard to believe..we just bought a New Winnebago ERA 170A 4x4...how is that for jumping right into it...

Looking at many web site forums and trying to pack my few remaining brain cells with important information. I now we are part crazy..that was a whole large chunk of change we just let go of.

1 hour ago, easwen said:

Winnebago ERA 170A 4x4

That looks like a pretty usable floor plan. Do be aware that the low ground clearance makes this not much of a 4x4 vehicle, though. I scraped my running board by turning too short onto a desert road.

Linda Sand

Archived