Straight Talk

Just saw ad for STRAIGHT TALK

UNLIMITED Talk, Text and Data for $45/month No contract.

Can keep number and use your phone (if certain style).

I checked my phone and it is ok.

I use Verizon- best coverage where we go.

Sales person at walmart said it would use same towers. But when I checked website- it said could use sim for att or tmobile.

Have any of you switched fom Verizon to Straight Talk? Any problems??

Same service or better.

Thanks

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glcaf, I have used straight talk with an iPhone 5 for the past 2 years with no problems. You can not do streaming or use as a modem. The only thing I see different from it to wife's Verizon iPhone is she can get 4g lte while I only get 3G. I think with the new phones on AT&T, you can get 4g lte.

No 4G on ST unless it has recently changed. So if you want 4G features then you need to bear that in mind. For many people 3G is just fine. Would not work for me, though.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The previous folks about throttling etc. are right. But my dual band phone was only unlocked GSM new, even though a Verizon exclusive phone. I have been using ST for three years now. I highly recommend them for phone and slow 3G speeds. I am using a Lumia 822 and the AT&T sim card which is supposed to get 4G according to some others on the Windows Phone forums. So far it seems slower than my 3G old Samsung Galaxy Proclaim Android smart phone but I have only been messing with it for a week and am mostly connecting at home with WiFi so have not done any actual testing in strong signal areas.

My old Galaxy used exclusively Verizon towers. I bought this Nokia Lumia 822 for only $99 bucks new on Amazon through Mango, which was originally a Verizon only dual band phone with both GSM and CDMA. It has only the GSM side unlocked not the CDMA and ST sent me a sim card for 9 bucks and free 3 day shipping. I called ST, which had horrible phone customer service in the past, but back two weeks ago, when I got the new phone, I got great customer service. My guy who I could understand fine walked me through it and it works! It comes as a Windows 8.0 phone but I got into the Developer's Preview program for Windows 8.1 so I did not have to wait for AT&T or Verizon or Nokia to upgrade it later, as 8.1 is just now rolling out.

If you want the fastest Internet you will have to pay a premium with the majors. I get my access cards renewed by a third party source that sells six month access at 30 bucks a month. we have used him for our phones for almost 18 months now, as we just refilled for six months more a couple of weeks ago.

ST has worked well for us. My wife is still using her Samsung Galaxy Proclaim because as she never uses it for anything but voice and texts and rarely even email as we have cable at home. And her job is holding estate sales, and doing boutique moves. So she needs phone service in the boonies and Verizon is best here for that.

I am kind of experienced with ST, what phone are you bringing to ST because non sim card phones can also be accommodated I was told. I do not work for them or the people we refill from nor get anything from Mango who we bought the phone from on Amazon, or ST itself. Just techie users here.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

OK. I will then say I have Net10 and have had the best service in the middle of no where Nebrask ago. I switched to Net10 a year ago in preperation for a trip to NE, SD, IA and ID. Pretty much not covered by most inexpensive services. We pay $45/month and are totally impressed by the coverage. Gives us peace of mind on the road.

Amen, me too! And I am getting the HSPA+ or whatever the GSM slower 4G is called when I get a bit closer to town.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I was just interested in better phone coverage but now that I have a smart phone I do all sorts of different things with it. Weather, stock market, golf scores, usa today, gasbuddy, poynt, shopping lists, copilot and google maps. Each little thing contributes to the total usage. I have found recently that when I look at USA Today many times videos start automatically without my requesting them, that all contributes. Of course, a lot of times the phone tells me internet is not available but when it is wow!!

The web site says you get 3 gs and then throttled to 2 gs for the rest of 30 days. I had received an email to that effect several months ago. I have had straight talk on a iPhone 5 for 2 years and had no problems, and never run over the data cap I have the iPad air with t-mobile 4g lte and 200 mgs free per month to use for tablet and have come close to data cap but not over, and you can buy extra if needed. Straight talk is probably not for everyone but it has been good for me, comparing $45 to $175 per month on wife's phone and tablet.

I can add some relevant info to this topic. My wife is on her second straight talk iphone5. The first one was on the ATT network (thru Straight talk). She wasn't happy with the coverage, so I bought here a second ST iphone 5 with VZW coverage. At first it was good, but all of a sudden she stopped getting coverage while roaming on US Cellular's towers. We called ST and they said 'we don't allow roaming". I asked if this was a recent change and their answer was "we don't allow roaming".

We got the message, and after some research ported her iphone5 over to Selectel Wireless. For $10 a month more she gets native VZW coverage plus roaming. The kicker is, so far when roaming on USC towers they are not throttling her down from 3g to 1x. Added Bonus!

"http://www.selectelwireless.com/wireless-plans/"

One other note on no 4g on the VZW MVNO's. While Jack is correct, it looks like the MVNO's are going to get 4g access sometime in October, so you may want to wait til then before making your purchase.

"http://www.phonenews.com/page-plus-announces-lte-support-coming-in-october-28591/"

• 1 month later...

there customer service is horrible as there in a third world country and not in the states!! id'e pay Verizon 45 bucks a month before strait talk. why because of there customer support is usa based and if your phone acts stupid while your out roaming around you can got into a store and have them look at it. when I had strait talk when my phone was acting up they couldn't even tell me how to store every thing on the sd card. I think I had the dude mind fucked :blink::D . never again. and they have been know to shut people off who use to much data I haven't heard of anyone else doing that!!

We are happy with ST but there is another disadvantage: there is no roaming. We discovered that when we spent almost a month out of two months in the Rockies in CO that did not have Verizon coverage but had other providers. No internet or phone via ST for all that time. My cheapie Tracfone worked great but it doesn't have wi-fi.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Earl, on 25 Oct 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:Earl, on 25 Oct 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:Earl, on 25 Oct 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

We are happy with ST but there is another disadvantage: there is no roaming. We discovered that when we spent almost a month out of two months in the Rockies in CO that did not have Verizon coverage but had other providers. No internet or phone via ST for all that time. My cheapie Tracfone worked great but it doesn't have wi-fi.

no prepaid phone has roaming that I know of!! I think that prepaid phones should have some kind of roaming especialy for emergencies!! theres motorolas idrum service sat phone but the last time I used that it was a dollar a minute with no roll over mins!! I was thinking of going with moto say mobile huges net but huges net sucks and moto sat closed there doors and god only knows who took em over. I like to boon dock and be in the boonies so satellite internet would benefit me but when I look at the cost my wallet gets tight :blink:. do you know if Verizon has service where you were at all per say if you were on there network and paying for there service. from my understanding how true it is I don't know though is that the PRL's are programmed different like you could have a pre paid Verizon phone and a pre paid ST phone and if I had the Verizon phone in an area i probily get service before the strait talk phone would because of the way they set up the PRL

Ganto, the Tracfone prepaid has roaming as well as included calling to much of MX and CA.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Archived