What do you do when you cross the boss

Cyberdave

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

• 2 weeks later...

We just gained a very strong supporter of the Hog.

"WASHINGTON, D.C. - Confirming the A-10's unmatched capabilities as the U.S Air Force's best Close Air Support (CAS) asset, U.S. Rep. Martha McSally during a House Armed Services subcommittee hearing got top Department of Defense officials to concede that the F-35 would not be as survivable as the A-10 in certain CAS scenarios. The testimony conflicts with previous Air Force claims about the A-10's survivability compared to other aircraft and exposes a gap in capabilities should the Administration mothball the A-10 without a replacement.

"As a former A-10 pilot and squadron commander, there are times, and there will still be times in the future, where you must get down and dirty with the guys on the ground who are often on the run, unable to give you their coordinates," said Rep. McSally in response to the testimony. "And you have to visually be able to see, where are the good guys and the bad guys. You cannot stand off in all CAS scenarios even in the future, and that's a concern I have with the limited capabilities in replacing the A-10."

Rep. McSally repeatedly has described the flaws in the Air Force's justification to retire the A-10 ahead of schedule, saying the decision is reckless and would put, "American lives at risk."

US Rep. McSally Debunks Claims that A-10 Not 'Survivable'

Why would you deploy the A-10 when it is not survivable or effective?

Airmen, A-10s From Michigan Base Deploy for Islamic State Fight

How's that crow taste now?

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

I was just going to post that too Dave! Huah! You beat me by an hour. Great article, and they will have trouble arguing with one who has been there, done that, and has the CAS pucker down pat!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I wish *I* lived where A-10s were buzzing around! I'm under the approach to a former B-52 AFB and see a lot of haulers, a few Navy jets from Oak Harbor, the odd sub hunter, and the very occasional fighter jet. I can watch airplanes on final and bikini-clad girls on jet skis on the lake from my veranda. :)

One of my very best friends, Capt. Harry Haines USAAF (RIP), told me that his favorite thing to do in the P-47s was shoot up the enemy's ground. He liked trains the best. Harry flew B24s for 25 missions, shopped his papers to a P-47 squadron, moved into a P-51 seat and was trying to get a transfer to the Pacific command when the Japanese surrendered.

He told me, in 1982, that he never bothered to fly again because it wasn't as much fun if you couldn't shoot at stuff.

The USAF must have lost that feeling...

I am a huge fan of the Warthog. I just wish I could have flown one.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

• 2 weeks later...

For those that doubt the need for the A-10 read this article. It saddens me that our AF leadership has totally lost it's way and is becoming more like the Zoomies of old. High speed, low drag has become their motto again.

Senators want permanent solution to keep the A-10.

Notice how it's the real end users that are in total support of keeping the Hog flying.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

• 10 months later...

So now there are more F-35 problems, keeping it borked until 2019 or so if things go well.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/24/software_problems_bork_f35_fleet_til_2019

The F-35 multirole fighter won't be close to ready before 2019, the US House Armed Services Committee was told on Wednesday.

The aircraft, which is supposed to reinvigorate the American military's air power, is suffering numerous problems, largely down to flaws in the F-35's operating system. These include straightforward code crashes, having to reboot the radar every four hours, and serious security holes in the code.
Michael Gilmore, the Pentagon's director of operational test and evaluation, reported that the latest F-35 operating system has 931 open, documented deficiencies, 158 of which are Category 1 – classified as those that could cause death, severe injury, or severe illness.

The F-35 is the first modern US military aircraft not to have a heads-up display. Instead, pilots will wear the display as part of their helmet, but the current level of software development means that the helmets can't handle night vision, which leaves pilots at something of a disadvantage.

Mechanical problems also dog the aircraft, he reported, especially with the ejector seat mechanism. Gilmore said that after initial testing, pilots weighing below 136 pounds won't be allowed to fly the aircraft, and there are "serious" problems for those weighing over 165 pounds.
For pilots in the 136-165 pound weight class, an estimated 27 per cent of all aviators, the evaluators estimated the probability of death during ejection was 23 per cent, and the probability of "some level of injury resulting from neck extension to be 100 per cent."

So how much duck tape and baling wire can you buy for a trillion dollars? I'd bet we could keep the A-10 flying a long time for that kind of cash and it has high-tech night vision options that the F-35 doesn't!

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If we are going to scrap planes based on old age I think they have a good number of B-52s ahead of the A-10.

OH! wait, now they(B-52's) may be useful in the middle East, according to a news segment.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 7 months later...

I got a chuckle out of the "Toothless Tiger Moth, the F-35" line as well as the ugly dig.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/26/a10_to_get_a_reprieve/

“Uglier things have been spotted in the sky, but not by reliable witnesses” – and, in the case of the A10 “Warthog”, it'll be the ugliest thing in the sky for a lot longer than the US Air Force wanted.

That's not going to happen, if this (paywalled) report in Aviation Week is accurate.

It quotes general Ellen Pawlikowski as saying suppliers are gearing up to keep the Warthog in the air, and her Materiel Command is rebuilding capacity and supply chain to keep the A-10 flying indefinitely.

Instead of being grounded in 2018, wings will be replaced and electronics will get an upgrade, with an eye to having the close-support attack jet in the air at least until 2028.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Guys,

The BUFFs have a mission for conventional munitions in conventional warfare that our newer bombers can't match in payload and range. I was Sacumcised and stationed here at Barksdale three times in my career. It always had a BUFFs and Tankers, and until a few years ago a reserve group with A-10s. It now is one of two bases left with the venerable BUFF squadrons.

With current standoff air munitions range and power our nuke triad air component is filled by the stealth Bombers in use and I am sure some that, like Aurora, are not part of the regular budget.

We have choppers and Harriers but for tank killing we have the A-10.

Our drone programs are actively filling in the cracks not covered by the aforementioned.

For range. linger time, and armament/armor the little Wart Hog is hard to beast.

Side story. On leaving here in 1990 for my 7 year assignment to Spangdahlem AB Germany, a dear friend who was an artist in stained glass made this 21"X21" cut glass and leaded together presented me with it as a gift. He cut the letters into each piece of glass perfectly. THe rivets in the "Iron Fist" are made of lead too. It hangs in my home office window now and I enjoy it daily.

21X21%20SAC%20Crest%202Small_zpsygkvceh7

21X21%20SAC%20Crest%20Small_zpsb3ljlbeo.

Little did we know that just 2 years later, 31 May, 1992, it was "disestablished." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Air_Command

The Wikipedia article is a good read.

"In 2009, the entire land-based USAF ICBM force and that portion of the USAF manned bomber force that was still nuclear-capable, e.g., the B-2 Spirit and B-52 Stratofortress, was transferred to the newly established Air Force Global Strike Command (AFGSC), while the B-1 Lancer conventional bomber force remained in ACC. In 2015, these B-1 units were also transferred to Air Force Global Strike Command, which assumed responsibility for all current and future USAF bomber forces."

Global Strike is headquartered here at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana. The B1 stealth bomber being assigned to ACC (Air Combat Command) our tactical fighter command, says a lot about the distribution or our Air cover and projection of power.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 6 months later...

Welcome back! The A10/Thunderbolt III/warthog; all those names are familiar, is no longer slated for retirement:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/finance-companies/once-at-risk-of-extinction-iconic-warthog-plane-lives-on/ar-BBByuhe

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I was thinking of this thread and you guys when I read the article. Glad they are still with us.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived