GPS Question

autoshift

Last week I encountered a 13ft 3in low bridge warning after passing the last turn off. Waited at the bridge 1/2 hour for 911 police response for assistence to stop traffic to allow me to make a U-turn on this busy highway.

Its time for a new GPS.
---------

I'm considering
Garmin Dezl-760LMT
Garmin RV-760LMT
Both 760s have free life time map updates. Includes traffic receiver & free traffic info.

Rand McNally's RVND 7730 which is an improved 7720.
Has free life time map updates. Traffic receiver extra cost & annual subscription for traffic info.

Anyone using these or similar units with height & tunnel restriction warnings ?

Last week I encountered a 13ft 3in low bridge warning after passing the last turn off. Waited at the bridge 1/2 hour for 911 police response for assistence to stop traffic to allow me to make a U-turn on this busy highway.

Its time for a new GPS.

---------

I'm considering

Garmin Dezl-760LMT

Garmin RV-760LMT

Both 760s have free life time map updates. Includes traffic receiver & free traffic info.

Rand McNally's RVND 7730 which is an improved 7720.

Has free life time map updates. Traffic receiver extra cost & annual subscription for traffic info.

Anyone using these or similar units with height & tunnel restriction warnings ?

We have the RVND 7720. I like it when we're going through a strange town and it shows which lane to be in.

For directions, finding campgrounds or other points of interest, it absolutely sucks. It hosed us several times on our recent Alaska trip, taking us into down town areas rather than directly to the rv park we wanted.

They have a lot of work to do.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I'm on the old Garmin Nuvi system for truckers, and yes, it has made a couple of mistakes in the past.

For me, it would be a toss up between the truckers, and the RVers Garmin. The appear to be about the same, but I would use more of the amenities of the RVers one. You drop the NTTS stuff, but you add the RVer stuff. And it a whole $10 less per Amazon.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Had two different GPS systems this summer. In two cases they were both wrong in NJ. I am not sure that there is a unit that is much better than others. I always carry a map or atlas just in case.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Been happily running around Nth America using the CoPilot truck version. Like most GPS's it has had moments but all in all its worked very well.

Added bonus, With the one license you can install on several devices. I run it on an old laptop in my rig but also have it installed on both my wife's and my smartphones (apple and Android) and one of our android tablets. Maps are cheap, bought the European and Australian maps for when we were in those areas of the world both were only around the ~$40 mark.

2006 Peterbilt 387 - aka "Pete"
2012 Custom 53' 5th Wheel - aka "Moya"

2012 Honda CBR1000RR

2009 Harley Davidson VRSCDX Night Rod Special

2013 Subaru WRX

cd084.jpg

Fulltimers. Follow us at: http://blacktop4.com

Howdy!

X2 on using Co-Pilot truckers GPS app. Use Co-Pilot on our smartphones and on my 10" tablet in the truck. Really like the large tablet screen in the truck while traveling over any of the stand alone gps. Been using Co-Pilot as our goto gps for years now and it hasn't steered us wrong.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneo

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

App, runs on Windows, iOS & Android

http://copilotlive.com/us/

edit: when you buy the truck version, you also have the car, bike, RV & walking option/versions as well. In truck mode you create a profile for your rig- weight, height, length, hasmat, etc, etc

2006 Peterbilt 387 - aka "Pete"
2012 Custom 53' 5th Wheel - aka "Moya"

2012 Honda CBR1000RR

2009 Harley Davidson VRSCDX Night Rod Special

2013 Subaru WRX

cd084.jpg

Fulltimers. Follow us at: http://blacktop4.com

We've been using the dezl-560LMT for a couple of years. It has sent us wrong twice - there is simply no substitute for through pre-trip planning! I have thought I was smarter than it on a few occasions only to find a weight limited road or bridge.

Over all the 560 is a pretty good GPS.

I have not used CoPilot, but I figure any GPS will be generally suitable as long as you do careful pre-planning. Otherwise you can get bit.

EDIT: We also use the POI database http://www.lowclearances.com

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

We use CoPilot Live 9 Truck Laptop version. We plot our basic trips with Microsoft Streets & Trips and then enter the legs of the trip into CoPilot. So we always preplan our routes.

At that time, we check if CoPilot wants to use a different route. Usually if CoPilot is using a different route it is because of truck restrictions which we tend to obey even if we don't have to.

CoPilot is checking height issues as we enter the trip and also if we make deviations while we are driving. Static height warnings like Driver's books and POIs are find for planning but are not very handy for a quick route change, like for a missed turn.

Haven't tried to do pre-planning with Garmin, I think it is possible.

We prefer the laptop solution because we use two monitors.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I use CoPilot, but the $10 one....not the trucker version. I'll likely buy the trucker version though, since I like the one I'm using. You still need to do research and consult other sources....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We use the Garmin Dezl-760LMT. I've used Garmin products for years and found that English folks can't use American accents, and the logic used in their search functions is bizarre, to say the least. That said, using their Base Camp planning tool makes planning pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

We chose the trucker version because we're truck sized. It works very well. You do get a lot of "Truck Accessibility Unknown" warnings on two lane roads. We figured that there are huge amounts of resources regarding campgrounds, parks, and so forth that we would use the GPS for mapping and other "underweigh" functions.

The voice command function is new and is really slick. You can set a new via point or route without ever touching the device. It will do a great many things on voice command that are extremely helpful. The traffic displays work well, and the lane guidance feature, while not new, is really helpful in an HDT.

Send me a PM if you want to know something specific. Frankly, it's like AMEX - don't leave home without it...

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

We've been using the dezl-560LMT for a couple of years. It has sent us wrong twice - there is simply no substitute for through pre-trip planning! I have thought I was smarter than it on a few occasions only to find a weight limited road or bridge.

Over all the 560 is a pretty good GPS.

I have not used CoPilot, but I figure any GPS will be generally suitable as long as you do careful pre-planning. Otherwise you can get bit.

EDIT: We also use the POI database http://www.lowclearances.com

X2 on this one as we use it to. It only send me wrong one time in 3,000 miles and 7 States. This reminds me though I have to let Garmin know of this error. Though it looks like this error has been a problem for sometime as there was a huge turn around the my 67 feet easy did. It was in Belfry Montana as I recall but we got to see a nice little small town!!! :rolleyes: All GPS's can do this though some perhaps more than others.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

CoPilot Live here as well. Runs on an ASUS tablet which I mount to the compartment above the sun visor and plug into an inverter plugged into a cigarette lighter connected to the convenience light.

Captain, U. S. Marine Corps (Retired)

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan VMI Equipped For Mom

2001 Dodge 2500 SLT V10

1977 M151A2 Military Jeep "Ma Deuce" & M416 Jeep Trailer

1965 Jaguar 3.8 S-Type aka "Miss Kitty"

http://www.mofrenchbulldogs.com

I use CoPilot Live also. I have a 12v car computer using dual monitors, a 15" flat panel for the navigator and a 7" monitor on the drivers side.

Since I am currently without a navigator I have to pay real close attention but I know better than to fall into the trap of relying too heavily on the GPS. I see drivers on a road that is very well posted "No Through Trucks" all the time. Their favorite excuse is "My GPS sent me this way". They hate my followup questions: "Who is the boss paying to drive? You or the GPS?"

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I did use the regular CoPilot program my first year, when it routed me into downtown Banff in Canada to get me to the campground on the other side of town. MY FIRST YEAR! Wow, that was fun!

I'm sure a friendly LEO would have used the same words to me if he had seen me do what I needed to do in order to get out of there. And I would have deserved it! Oh what fun it is learning everything we need to learn about these monsters. And what, I'm sure none of us needs to learn anything about driving!!!! :lol::D

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

• 8 months later...

Hadn't heard it before, but Microsoft's Streets and Trips is no longer!!! (you all probably know this!)

"Microsoft Streets & Trips has been discontinued. We so appreciate the support of our dedicated users over the years.

"The success of these products would never have happened were it not for the loyal and supportive fans who purchased the product and its various iterations over the years," shares Larry Petersen, test lead for Microsoft Streets & Trips. "Speaking at RV rallies over the years, I’ve loved hearing about our avid customers’ experiences using the software to plan and enjoy road trips across North America."

This retirement will not affect software already installed. Current users may continue to use Streets & Trips to plan their travel adventures and will have mainstream support until July 14, 2015."

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

12 years on CoPilot. Currently running Live 9 Laptop Truck. It can have an idiosyncrasy once in a while like popping up on a road and saying there is a turn ahead, counts down to the turn, and then continues on the original route. But we haven't had a mis-routing since the 2003 version.

Since we preplan our trips with Streets & Trips and then transferring them to CoPilot, we are used to finding S&T to be several miles off for Campground locations. Likewise, using Bing Maps accessed from S&T and Google Earth to check out campground access, we find both of them can be wrong by a few miles too.

For POIs that CoPilot knows about, it is the most accurate tool we use.

With the demise of S&T, we will have to look at Delorme Street Atlas USA again. We stopped using it years ago because of the awkward interface (to use).

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Been using GPS since Lowrance was installing them in brand new 2000 KW's and Petes. And laptop versions of deLorme before that. Currently have 2 running at all times, the RM 520 and a Garmin Dezl. They give erroneous routing info routinely.

I have gone round and round with reps from both companies various truck shows and gatherings.

First problem is most of the units out there use the same database for truck routing info, and that company gets that info from state dot data bases. Not always updated by either.

2nd is the bigger issue of the legals. The Rand McNally rep explained that their legal dept is so afraid of big lawsuits from drivers or companies directed onto "no truck" routes that the software will avoid them and direct you onto "very safe" routes, sometimes causing routing hundreds of miles out of the way uneeded.

Best example: Kingman AZ to Phoenix. Natural route is US 60 about 240 miles. But because the AZ dot database has a 3 mile section that only has 12' lanes, RM will not route you that way, but around US 95 in CA, about 100 miles out of the way.

AZ Dot routinely routes oversize loads that way, so safety is not the issue, just an outdated database. RM will not change it until the AZ dot makes the legal change in the database.

The reverse happens when a height limit is not updated in a state database.

Until somebody is willing to spend big bucks on a quality database updated by independent means, it will never be right. Garmin makes aircraft GPS units which cost 10-20 times these consumer units. You can bet that they are right.

In the meantime use the skills that you have. Watch the signage, not the GPS. See RR tracks in the town? That a hint that a low bridge is in your future. Farther north or east you go in this country the greater the chances of clearance issue, but can happen anywhere. Stay on big streets, preferably seek out marked truck routes. Call local police, but not on 911 if you sense you are on a road that will get you into trouble. Go around the block and get back to safe territory if you get that queasy feeling in your gut.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Jeff,

You are spot on about the aircraft GPS units.......all of the data is FAA vetted data AND the Feds FLY the segments BEFORE the stuff the data into the database.........

As a too many decades "birdman" ........ I'll tell you the aviation game has one serious GPS problem.......those darn airplanes just don't handle well in the air when you try to stop and figure what is wrong with the route ahead......

It's ironic that the "best" aircraft GPS units have "safe taxi" mode that is somewhat helpful with ground taxi operations BUT the pilot IS still in the HOT seat ..........they pay the pilot (not very much$) .........not the GPS......so like Phil said it's the guy in the hot seat that is to blame.......

Safe travels

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived