Elio Motors

RV_

Newt!

One can only hope! I need them to get out the first 25,000 cars first!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my Elio motors T-Shirt yesterday in the mail, along with a bumper sticker and a congratulations for my forward thinking and vision. No matter what happens, now I have something to show for the hundred bucks! the Elio is made right here in Shreveport, and I noticed the T-Shirt was made in America, not an import!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

EK,

It's just white with a black Elio silhouette on one side and the name on the other. I'm saving mine for my pickup at the factory here, and the drive home.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Does ELIO conduct factory tours, or are they skittish about their secret processeseses? I would like to see them being made and maybe see the actual vehicle.

Catfish

'08 Chebbie K3500; '07 Teton Sunrise Experience;
Native Texan/Transplanted Tarheel; Retired USMC

​LDO

I don't think they are really that far along yet. Email them via the website.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

They leased with intent to buy an existing plant here, and then the local owners decided that they don't think they would do what they claim. However they tried to sell it out from under Elio motors to "an unnamed Japanese company."

http://gas2.org/2014/05/01/another-company-may-snatch-elio-motors-factory/

Then in May 2014 that sale to the "unnamed Japanese company" fell through so Elio still has their lease. And the already built empty factory that made Hummers and later Chevy trucks. Two months ago they said this:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/26/autos/elio-motors/index.html

That article ended with this:

"On the other hand, while the Elio car seems crazy and weird, Tesla (TSLA) seemed like a long shot to me once, too. The fact remains, though, start-ups in the auto business have a tough road ahead of them."

I by no mean am encouraging anyone to jump in with a non refundable deposit like I did for a hundred bucks. I don't gamble often but the deposit was not as sure a thing to me as Tesla. But me and many others are in it for the long run. One of the major analysts just rased them from a hold to a buy and also raised their target price to $400.00 yesterday or today. You might remember everyone's comments about Tesla? Nothing new here. They will make it or not. But at least they are still in it to win it.

I could afford to take a very long shot for $100.00. Put in perspective, it cost about that much to fill up my since sold Dodge diesel 3/4 ton, and I blew through that much in a week. I would love to see it come to fruition. We'll see. At this point I would not consider them an investment. Tesla, ifyou remember had their very successful roadster proven and in full production for two years before they went public and let me buy in. Now I hope my NON-REFUNDABLE deposit along with others is enough to help them get it going. Next year is the target. Once I hear they are setting up I will try to take some pics and let folks know I have them on my website. I will fully disclose that I have a $100.00 investment in the company. <wink>

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

More news. They are going to be like Tesla and manufacture their own engines eventually but in the interim have designed the three cylinder engine, as well as suspension systems, and are putting together suppliers.

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=a51e90b97f&e=2b2ef1812b

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Elio Featured in the Washington Post August 19, 2014
Already, more than 33,791 people have reserved one.
Elio hopes to make 250,000 cars a year by 2016.

If they make them 6 days a week not taking any holidays off.

They would be making 778 of them a day.

33,791 will take them only a month and a half to make all reserved so far now.

They should have all the bugs worked at by then. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Elio motors is now setting up the plant in Shreveport. Our local NBC affiliate did a tour with Paul Elio and this link has a three minute interesting tour of the plant.

http://www.eliomotors.com/nbc-6-exclusive-look-inside-the-plant/

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 1 month later...

from the Elio FB page:

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

OK & KS now SD well sometimes

The journey is the trip not the destination.

http://2010liberty.wordpress.com/

Update,

They have been doing the new motor build and brought the P4 (prototype 4) to Shreveport last week and did some shoots inside their plant.

Excerpt:

"As Comau continues with the sale of equipment inside of our plant, it provided a great opportunity to take the P4 for a spin. We took the Elio down the trim lines, where various parts will be added to the frame, and down Final Line, where finishing touches will be completed and the vehicles will be tested. Having the P4 in its home gave a glimpse into the very near future when the plant is fully staffed and the Elios are rolling off the production line. It is amazing how much this project has progressed and continues to do so, and we owe a huge thanks to you. It is your passion that drives us every day and is what will result in significant positive change for the folks in Shreveport and to our country as a whole. What could be better than knowing you played a role in bringing back manufacturing jobs to America?

So without any further ado, here are some photos of the P4 inside the plant.

Check out our full Facebook Album.

To get an even better feel of what the plant looks like, watch our video of the P4's visit. To stay in line with our Lousiana theme, we used background music of a street band we heard in New Orleans.

Right after the plant visit, it was on to New Orleans! The warm welcome we received was overwhelming. Before our event even started on Saturday we had a huge crowd surrounding the Elio. The crowd continued to grow throughout the day. The line to sit inside the Elio had to transform into a circle to contain it. We even had a repeat guest, 'Wild Bill.' He was pictured in last week's blog as the enthusiastic futureliowner in Shreveport and decided to make another trip with his family to see us one more time. Most folks at Riverwalk Mall were already well aware of the unique three-wheeler that will be produced in their state. Here are some photos from the event."

Lots of great pix on the blog of the factory here: http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=5063b8b71c&e=2b2ef1812b

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

For 13K more you can have a side by side convertible with a 2.4L engine now.

• 2.4 Liter DOHC Engine
  • 5-Speed Manual Transmission
  • High-Strength Steel Spaceframe
  • 3-Point Seatbelts
  • LED Taillights and Projector – Beam Headlights
  • Double-Wishbone Front Suspension with Sway Bar
  • Electronic Power-Assisted Steering
  • Electronic Stability Control
  • ABS Disk Brakes
  • Tilt Steering
  • Adjustable, Waterproof Seats
  • Lockable Storage Bins and Glove Box

369070033.jpg

Hey what happened didn't you have an HHR in your pic?

No way am I going with a Hi Perf. Hell I've owned all the drag bikes and had my BMW 520i Bischoffen prepped and my Porsche 911 Targa, among others. I want the Elio specifically because it sips fuel like a bike, and has all the comforts of a fully enclosed car!

If I wanted a custom 25-30K machine I'd look at what you posted then buy a new Subaru Forester! No, I now have my big new to me 2006 Dodge/Direct rail quiet Cummins, with only just over 100k miles and a lot of HP and Torque, my HHR for quiet running around and transporting the dogs, my SH has her 2012 Kia Rio 5 door Hatchback, and we will keep them and still get the Elio. Which we will either keep forever or sell within a year. Nothing in between.

My truck had a straight pipe cat back, and I put in a Flo Master quiet tuned exhaust and an eight inch chrome exhaust tip that resonates a bit. It is a bit louder than stock but not by a lot. Way quieter than the straight pipe it came with! It is fine since stock was $400-$600, and this was $230 installed.

Here is a pic, as you can see it was owned by a kid by the Mags and Nitto Grappler noisy tires. I am trading them for stock rims with new tires, even trade. The chrome OEM steel rims and caps to cover up that the chrome is plastic welded onto the wheels are fine by me. Here is how it looks now.

P9170031Small_zpsc41487fa.jpg

P9170042Small_zps36a86ed1.jpg

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 4 weeks later...

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV...I missed your post for some reason.

Yep I traded the HHR off for a 2014 Lincoln AWD MKS V6 214 cu in 365 HP Twin turbo.

I have owned(2) only a 4 cy car since 1998. I am a old drag racer from the late 50's early 60's.

So far average MPG on MKS is 17.02 with over 90% town driving. The HHR averaged 21.6 MPG.

I usually average around 4K miles a year or less so the lower MPG won't hurt me much in the pocket.

And I'm sure the MPG will go up after breaking in and if I quit sticking my foot in it. :D

I am in my upper 70's now and figure this will be the last car I will ever need.

The window sticker was in the upper 50K bracket fully loaded with almost all options available.

I was going to pay cash for it from a low paying CD due for renewal then they offered 0% interest for 60 months.

So that CD is still drawing a little interest. Changed it to a 31 day, 13 month and 29 month one.

First thing within 2 hours of taking delivery of it I had all the windows tinted.

Next was changing out the 20" polished OEM wheels for some 20" chrome ones.

At the same time I had H&R 1 1/2" lowering springs put on it.

Added caliper covers

Added a aftermarket matching Walnut Dash Kit.

Added Sport brake & gas pedals.

Added window side deflectors.

Added Mud Flaps

Added SS side window trim.

Had Blue OX base plate, wiring etc. installed to tow 4 down.

Next was a change of the rear mufflers to a straight through Dynomax.

Only thing to do yet is to have some custom hand painted Pin stripping done.

Almost finished putting the 24x12x9 portable garage together I bought for it.

It is a little harder to keep clean then the White HHR was. This time of the year getting a lot of Avocado yellow pollen on it. :(

410564158.jpg

410564157.jpg

369070033.jpg

Love the front plate! Awesome customizing job and I love the outcome. I get my "go fast

" dose if needed from my Ram 2500. But I like your choice of tint andtires with the lowering picking up on the body lines.

My early days in the late 60s/70s was roadsters and Rally cars like my two 60s MG midget MKIIs with side drapes instead of roll up windows. Bikes were my love then too and my midget, with custom tonneau cockpit cover, wire wheels, and fabric, not steel radials, as steel was still not flexible enough on the sidewalls to keep most of the tread on the ground. In between roadsters I had an AMC Javelin with the six, and a 67 Toronado with the big engine and the aerodynamic clamshell and small oval front bumper. It had a speedo that was just a red line that moved across the gauge horizontally. Electric everything, and the first Front wheel drive luxury car made. I did a Ford van, and then in the late 70s after an AMC Pacer X in bright yellow, I started on a 20 year string of restoring hot VWs. I did one thing, one fastback, one notchback, two Beetle convertibles, one Ghia vert and one hardtop, about 20 beetles with only 2super beetles, 8 VW pop up campers, and one 73 Porsche 911 Targa I did ground up in 88. I did just about every motorcycle including a matched set of two 1975 Norton 850 Commandos, Kawasaki Triple Threat 2stroke 500s, Silver And three Goldwings, Yamaha 750, Motoguzzi and Suzukis too. And Honda scooters. That started with an Allstate badged Vespa in 1976 I had a blast with.

So other than the Toronado, and a Vista cruiser wavon I kept only two weeks after cinfing it got less than ten miles/gallon, and one 289 66 yellow Mustang my wife had when I had the 71 Triumph Daytona 500 and first midget, few V8s in my past. The 1975 Spitfire with the failed 1500engine was my last British Leyland product as they were terrible with the exception of an original Austin mini we had in Germany in 1990. The TR7 and X1/9 I skipped too. Electrical nightmares both.

In 72 I inherited my Grandfather's Saab three cylinder, which had a lever that disengaged the front wheel drive when you let off the gas and handled like a dream.

As you can see, the Elio is a must for me. It is like the vehicle I always wanted, for those country drives to think. It should do very well in handling too. Who knows, they may start up timed rally clubs again!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I'm sending Elio my $100 today. I want one! That thing rocks!

Edit: Done! Not sure the T-shirt is worth $100 but it's worth a chance. Selling the Sportster; no one rides it any more anyway.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Sometime next year.

These guys are not Musk. But if they come out a few months late, or are 10-20% over or under the MPG figures, or cost $500 more I will still be buying

I live here where the factory is and have driven by a few times. When they say they are gearing up for production I will visit and report back.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Sometime next year.

These guys are not Musk. But if they come out a few months late, or are 10-20% over or under the MPG figures, or cost $500 more I will still be buying

Me too. My wife would love to be able to commute on the Sportster (Harley Sportster 883) but she is a school teacher and a bus driver and the 35-mile commute each way starts at 5am every school day; turns out that it's too cold to ride a motorcycle at 5am until school is either out or almost out around here. (So she tells me, not that I've tried it myself, you understand.) This little gadget might be almost as much fun as a motorcycle and still stay warm and dry with no honeybee issues. (Lots of orchards here which means a LOT of honeybee action from April to October.)

I posted a link on FB and I suspect a bunch of our friends are going to give one of these a go, too. No one had even heard of this little vehicle until I posted the link. In fact, I hadn't heard about it 'til I read Derek's thread.

If they ever make a battery-powered version.... even better!

However, I'm still towing the Jeep Wrangler behind the motor home; I'm pretty sure.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Hey man!

You see it too? Terrific! I am still tracking EV and Fuel cell developments, but these sidetracks pop up from time to time and this one looked like it could use a hundred buck of my help. I can afford to risk that little bit. I sure hope they get cranked up and soon too. I'm hoping they handle like my old 60s MG Midget MkII. Before they had roll up windows on roadsters. You didn't get in a midget, you put it on. Hope these give the same seat of my pants driving experience.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived