Elio Motors

RV_

I'll let you know of any local news on the factory. It hasn't looked good.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elio started collecting deposits in 2014.

In 2015 they said production was about a year off and would start in 2106.

In 2016 they said the same thing, with production starting in 2017.

2017 was more of the same.  Apparently they hadn't made much progress during the preceeding three years  since the start of production was still a year away, in the first quarter of 2018.

Now we're reached 2018, once again without much to show during 2017.  The start of production is still a year out, now predicted to start in 2019.  Except now they're "working aggressively" towards that goal.

Wanna bet we'll see another announcement in about a year saying they're continuing to work extremely hard towards starting production in 2020? 

Since 2014 they've always been just one year away from production.  Four years on and not much to show except one engine and a few hand built prototypes using Geo Metro drivetrains.

In the meantime, all of that deposit money is sitting in some bank, collecting interest.  Some of the deposits are refundable, so they probably have a contingency fund in case people ask for their money back.  But with many non-refundable deposits, Elio is free to use the majority of the deposit money as they see fit.

Meanwhile, the hits just keep on coming, i.e. the interest on those deposits just keeps on compounding.  Not too shabby.

21 minutes ago, Biker56 said:

In 2018 Elio is moving aggressively toward production. :)

This may be the year or not production starts.
Is everyone excited about it?

Sorry I was wrong. I didn't see the below quote. :(
"While we work towards our target of starting production in 2019"

All previous deposits may still be good in 2019.

It wont sell all it is is a motorcycle with scrap iron bent around it. a Rep would not give an answer as to what speed and the weight of the driver when they bragged about achievable gas mileage. Now go look at the Polaris, there is one beautiful three wheeler PLUS Elio said they would have some in production 2017 well that didnt happen.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

2 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Elio started collecting deposits in 2014.

In 2015 they said production was about a year off and would start in 2106.

In 2016 they said the same thing, with production starting in 2017.

2017 was more of the same.  Apparently they hadn't made much progress during the preceeding three years  since the start of production was still a year away, in the first quarter of 2018.

Now we're reached 2018, once again without much to show during 2017.  The start of production is once again a year out, now predicted to start in 2019.  Except now they're "working aggressively" towards that goal.

Wanna bet we'll see another announcement in about a year saying they're continuing to work extremely hard towards starting production in 2020? 

Since 2014 they've always been just one year away from production.  Four years on and not much to show except one engine and a few hand built prototypes using Geo Metro drivetrains.

In the meantime, all of that deposit money is sitting in some bank, collecting interest.  Some of the deposits are refundable, so they probably have a contingency fund in case people ask for their money back.  But with many non-refundable deposits, Elio is free to use the majority of the deposit money as they see fit.

Meanwhile, the hits just keep on coming, i.e. the interest on those deposits just keeps on compounding.  Not too shabby.

2018 - working aggressively

2019 - relentlessly working

2020 - then they just keep using a thesaurus for different words for the following years...

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

It sure looks that way Jim. I lost chump change, $100. And have a T-shirt. You can't win them all. If he does actually produce them, I will be next door and will have to go look because I don't believe anything Elio says anymore. Last I heard the Shreveport City Council and Sheriff were talking kicking them out. Elio held a truck factory off the market. ON the other hand every other accepted offer backed out before and since Elio.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 8/11/2014 at 8:18 PM, BrianT said:

That's encouraging, Jack. Thanks.

One thing I didn't see, not sure if I just read over it and didn't realize or not, but, is this thing considered a "passenger car" or a "motorcycle" or something else? I wondered if I'd need a motorcycle license to drive it. Do you know?

yes you must use a  DOT approved bucket.

this not a motorcycle. but a trike.

during all the hub-bub about motorcyclists being forced into this, trike's were included in the law, all the meter maids sued to get them selves exempted.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Pieere said:

Pleased that I never invested in ELIO, for some reason it just seemed to be to good  to be true!! The Polaris version is much more costly but the availability is here!

Polaris doesn't have a "version".  The Elio was touted as a low powered, affordable, highly efficient, weather proof, and comfortable commuter vehicle.  The Polaris is a high powered and expensive fun sport vehicle.  It looks like the Elio was a scam from the get go, but maybe it will happen.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

21 hours ago, chirakawa said:

It looks like the Elio was a scam from the get go, but maybe it will happen.

It seems our resident Elio promoter has even bailed on them!  🤣 I don't think that it was probably a scam in the legal sense of the word but it was in that the company was founded more on dreams than science. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

tresamigos.gif

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I don't think it is fair to use the word scam for Elio.  Many have wanted to start a new car company with grand design plans only to run into the obstacles of production and government regulations.  Lest we forget Tucker, Delorean, Bricklin for a few.  And even Mr. Musk had to call in the dinosaurs from Detroit that he had ridiculed so much when he couldn't get his Tesla pass the Federal Vehicle Code.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• 1 month later...

I agree Mark, but some folks take potshots to feel superior when a man is down. Tesla has been under attack since day one but Musk is so far ahead of the naysayers they have no clue. If the naysayers really coul;d predict the future of any stock they woul;d not be posting for us to read free. If they were that good they would have bought in when Tesla IPO's like I did. I toojk my money back and kept 80% of my shares and a small $5k profit because no one makes or loses money until they sell.

But the real telling fact about the naysayer crystal balls is that they would have bought Tesla like I did on IPO. And held it. How'd ex-spurts miss that and a total noob to buying and selling individual stocks knew to do just that. No, unless they bought in on IPO and held it from $17 bucks to today's share price of $318.96 they have no crystal balls that work.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 5 months later...

What do you think of the new SOLO vs Elio?  Some big differences I know.

The SOLO is all electric.  100 miles range.  $15.5k new.

Just curious of you input.   Because  I am looking for a TOAD?  Thanks

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

8 hours ago, stevekk said:

What do you think of the new SOLO vs Elio?  Some big differences I know.

The SOLO is all electric.  100 miles range.  $15.5k new.

Just curious of you input.   Because  I am looking for a TOAD?  Thanks

No boondocking with that range. No passenger seating, which is OK if you -er, solo RV.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There is no Elio motors cars for sale and I doubt there ever will be. I'm here in the metro area where their future factory is always pushed two years past their last promised production dates.

There are lots of electrics out there, you'll just have to look and here is a start:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=very+small+electric+vehicles&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR

I would not order a start up not already in production.

Here are some videos: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=2019+new+electric+cars&FORM=HDRSC3

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived