GPS and Backup Camera

charlyhors

Just acquired a truck and 34' 5W. We're wanting to get a backup camera for the rear of the 5er, and also an RV GPS. What features should we look for in these two items? Anyone have good/bad experiences with different products? Thanks. Charles and Jean

For the GPS I highly recommend a Garmin with LMT in the name. That gives you lifetime map updates and traffic data in big cities which can route you around traffic tie-ups. I also recommend one with "lane assist" if you do much driving through unfamiliar cities en route as that will tell you which lane to be in on those multi lane roads. I like my 7" screen as I can see it easily yet detach it from the stand and take it with me in my pocket when I will be away from my RV.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We just purchased the Rand McNally 7" GPS from Camping World. One of the reasons for the purchase was the fact that it had a direct input for a back up camera, thus eliminating having to have another monitor. We then ordered a back up camera from Camping World. The web site said that the camera was compatible with the GPS unit. After receiving the camera & wondering how to connect it I made some phone calls & found out that it could be "jury rigged" to connect to the Rand McNally. If you want to have a camera unit that is compatible with the Good Sam Rand McNally, you need to order the camera from Rand McNally. From the questions I've asked and the info received it doesn't appear that the set up will allow for multiple cameras. Disappointing to me because I would like one for hooking up the 5er & another on the back of the 5er.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Garmin RV 760 (the LMT which is lifetime maps comes standard) and get the wireless camera as well. Buy together will get you a better deal than separate.

One of the big advantages is that you can build different profiles so the GPS unit will be a lot more conservative in routes with your 5'er than when you are running just the truck. Many more features than I'll type here. Has been well worth it for us.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

One thing you may want to look into is mapping that has the ability to tell you about low bridges and such? I have a Garmin LMT and it doesn't have the ability to denote low clearance items.

Jim, I believe you can get the POI for it and toggle alerts on. Its quite similar to the curve and speed warnings inherent in the system.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Our Garmin Dezl 760 LTM (prior to the RV model) is programmable for the length and height of your rig and routes accordingly. Though our side and rear cameras have their own monitor the backup camera I mounted on the toolbox pointing at the hitch inputs directly to the Garmin's 7" display. It's my favorite camera of the bunch because it makes hooking up our 5th wheel a piece of cake.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Folks, do get a GPS first. We have a Rand-McNally 7" screen that was specifically designed for RVers and Garmin has a comparable product. There maybe others. The safety value is not its ability to get you from point A to point B, but to give you warnings abt what must be done to get in the correct lane well ahead of the actual turns. Exit ramps to go right, sometimes require going left, and visa-versa. Both these products have settings to keep you off roads that have weight limits or low bridges. I like the new cameras, but honestly can't live without good, properly adjusted mirrors, and especially the convex mirrors that all the pickups now come with. If I had to choose GPS or camera, hands down the GPS wins.

George Mayleben

RV Driving School

• 10 months later...

Rand McNally GPS is highly advertised by Camping World. But appears the video interphase is specific to a specific backup camera specifically from Dieselboss but found only on Rand McNally web site. It is a cable system and requires a lot of tunneling through your tightly sealed RV to get to your cabin where your GPS is.

Had I known, I would have gotten the Garmin product that has a wireless back up.

I have two monitors, one for GPS and one for the rear view camera which watches the toad. Both are important all the time. I could not conceive switching back and forth.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived