Campground limits on number of dogs

travelrider73

We've travelled with 2 dogs for years. We've never had a problem with the number of dogs with us. Maybe because we have "only 2". If a campground charges for dogs, we don't go there. We rarely see one that limits the number you can have.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

The most common limitation I see is "2" . We only have one small dog, and very few campgrounds have even asked us if we have a pet or how many we have. We do not frequent or support any campground that has a fee for pets, and I think that is when you will run into the question of how many you have so they can charge the appropriate fee. (Make more money off you).

Pat DeJong

I agree that the most common limitation on numbers is "2". That is the restriction I have on my rental lots, and that is what I see in most HOA/covenants that have anything to say about them.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

You will find that there are many different pet rules from one campground to the next. There can be limits on number, size, and breed. There is even the occasional "vicious dog rule". Some charge extra for pets, most have leash rules and "pick up" rules. Many prohibit leaving dog(s) unattended either in the rig or on the lot. The best advice is to ask specifically about pet rules when you call ahead to the park. You particular dogs will be unlikely a problem in most cases bu you would be surprised at what some people travel with. Best wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

While two seems to be the limit I have found that most places are very open. We have one dog which is sometimes over the weight limit in a few cgs that have a 20 or 30# limit on weight. When I tell them what I have, they have always said, "come on in...it's just fine". Just be upfront, and don't lie about it, or avoid the truth. Most places want your business. If they don't then move on.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

We won't be able to hide it - or at least won't want to do the covert things required to do so, especially since we're planning to set up camp for 3 months at a time.

One of the dogs is old as the hills and just lies around. He only gets up for treats and potty breaks. The other two are young and spry. So, we have 2.5 dogs.

2006 Volvo VNL630
5th Wheel TBD

We won't be able to hide it - or at least won't want to do the covert things required to do so, especially since we're planning to set up camp for 3 months at a time.

With longer stays it becomes much more important that you be upfront about this. If it were me, I would contact the park you want to stay in before you get there and discuss it with them. Better to know before arrival. Most of the long term parks that we have stayed in also have no pet sections and pet sections so that those who don't like pets can have their areas too.

As Earl says, they do want business, but just want to avoid problems with people's pet and between pet owners and other visitors. Very few of the park managers just dislike dogs.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

when we had 3 dogs ( 2 now, lost our schnauzer last year) we ran into a problem in Ohio - they only allow 2 dogs at the state parks, we went any way and only took them out 2 at a time.

there was a private campground in Mi. that charged 5 dollars per day per dog after one. I think it was Indigo Bluffs by Sleeping Bear Dunes.

our dogs are small 25 lbs and 5.5 lbs and I agree they should go by weight not amount!! LOL

last fall we took our 2 dogs and our 2 fosters we had at the time to potato creek in Indiana and there was no issue.

2016 Bighorn 3760EL

Steve, Dara and Mattie dog

• 9 months later...

Rules are rules, but sometimes they are more to be able to clamp down on real nuisances and are not strictly enforced. There was someone on another forum who wanted to travel with 8 of the little yappers and who was quick to tell everyone about her and her husband's health problems. Somehow, I can't imagine these very ill people bending down 16 times a day to scoop poop.

• 10 months later...
Just sharing my recent experience (August 2015) RVing with my three rescue dogs and my rescue cat (it sounds crazy even to me, but we did it and had a blast!!!)

I'm a boat liveaboard, so the fur kids (and I ;-) :

(1) have learned to be on our best behavior around others;

(2) are accustomed to enjoying lots of walkies (yes, even my cat walks on a leash :-) So there's no way to be stealth - we are extremely quiet (I'm a retired librarian - shhh!) but we are very visible!

During our two-week RV trip from Southern California to Southern Oregon and back, I encountered absolutely no issues whatsoever regarding the number of pets. I informed each campground/RV park in advance of the species/number/breed/size/weight of my pets, and my pets were entirely welcome at all of them.

I even visited several breweries (Lagunitas in Petaluma CA, Chetco Brewing Company in Brookings OR, and Arch Rock Brewing Company in Gold Beach OR) and my pets were welcome at all of them!

I found that most campers seemed to be good about cleaning up after their dogs, but at off-leash areas there was random poop. I always maximize bag space and pick up whatever I find.

I hope this is helpful to anyone concerned with finding camping/RV parks while traveling with multiple pets:

(1) inquire in advance;

(2) be a good citizen :-)

Rachael, Snow, Oliver, Fiona and Gloria
2008 Roadtrek 170

Well said Pete & Pat! However many pet policies are vague ("Pets permitted"). Species, breed and number are omitted.

I'm finding in my hoteling/RV/camping travels that the pet policy is flexible, as I politely inquire prior to each stay, and demonstrate my commitment. I also write a "many thanks" follow-up to each campground and establishment we visit, thanking them for being pet-friendly.

From my experience, hotels have a flexible 2-pet limit (yes, I hotel'ed with the pets - back in the days of traveling with my [late] Mom). I once paid for two rooms in Medford OR because of the third dog. However en route to OR, stopping overnight in Elk Grove CA , a hotelier said "you're the only customer not asking for a discount of some kind - I'm somehow not seeing the third dog." It was all well worth it for the family stories!!

I am learning not to be deterred by "pet policy." Simply ask in advance, always be respectful of your neighbors, and always be kind to the staff.

Edited by rsmithey

Rachael, Snow, Oliver, Fiona and Gloria
2008 Roadtrek 170

We travel with 4 dogs and it's a problem some of the time. 3 are small and 1 large old one, 15 years old now.

We are Thousand Trails members and the parks are pet friendly and that helps a lot.

We always ask about pets at other parks just to be sure. Most will say "no way".

I sure don't want to pay for a month and then be told "sorry, you have to leave and we don't give refunds".

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

I am glad that I don't have this problem. Our little dog wouldn't stop barking if I

took her RVing and I wouldn't do that to other RVers. Also they would likely ask us to leave.

I have got to agree with this! Our neighbor across the street left yesterday morning about 8 am and returned at 2:30 pm. His little "yapper" barked the entire time he was gone. Not fair to the animal or his neighbors. If he does the same today I will call the rangers on him.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

• 1 month later...

We full-time with 4 rescued dogs. It's why we started RVing. Any park charging for dogs or limiting dogs usually gets told I will take my money elsewhere. Although I usually ask them what are rates for families with no children. When 2 old farts come in with no noisy, non-facilities utilizing/utilities use, a few dogs should not be an issue. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy watching the children (I'm a retired Teacher) and spend as much time as possible with my Grandsons. But the dogs are a bargain for camp ground owners compared with kids. Just be sure as dog owners we are responsible and yes, I've picked up my share of poop----not left behind by my pooches. See I walk there, and don't want to step in it. :)

Any park charging for dogs or limiting dogs usually gets told I will take my money elsewhere.

Agreed. If they actually provided services for dogs, like a nice fenced-in dog run, I might agree to paying a few extra bucks a night. Unfortunately, some parks think they can supplement their rates with extra charges while providing no extra service.

• 11 months later...

I agree. I tried to book a vacation rental cottage in Florida this year. I have 3 Maltese and a Yorkie. All under 10lbs and pretty well behaved as they are all 5 to 7 years in age. The man renting the home wanted $30 per night, per dog in addition to a $300 pet deposit. The weekly rental became astronomical. I don't understand why motels and rental agents are so ready to let up to 2 kids stay for free and want to charge so much for a little dog. Seems that the kids would be much more destructive.

• 4 years later...
On 10/16/2015 at 9:07 PM, Classic Hammond said:

We full-time with 4 rescued dogs. It's why we started RVing. Any park charging for dogs or limiting dogs usually gets told I will take my money elsewhere. Although I usually ask them what are rates for families with no children. When 2 old farts come in with no noisy, non-facilities utilizing/utilities use, a few dogs should not be an issue. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy watching the children (I'm a retired Teacher) and spend as much time as possible with my Grandsons. But the dogs are a bargain for camp ground owners compared with kids. Just be sure as dog owners we are responsible and yes, I've picked up my share of poop----not left behind by my pooches. See I walk there, and don't want to step in it. :)

Where do you stay with your 4 dogs we need a place for us and 4 dogs all winter we are from nh long time renters never had to take all 4 dogs in the rv before but our house is being sold an we don’t have a choice I’m struggling to find a park that will allow us.