Class of 2017

Tumbleweed

I don't have a house to get rid of but a house full of stuff to get rid of. We are going through the boxes a little at a time pacing ourselves. Other then that just working on being financially set. We might move into an RV park for the last 3 months that I work to bank some more money. So far so good.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russ:

That last item is cool.

It's great that you have a plan that far out. We haven't even thought out that far. I don't even have a detailed plan (yet) of all this needs to be done on the house.

I'm hoping to head out northwest from Illinois towards Yellowstone and go from there.

We want to visit national parks.

Dave

Dave

2008 Airstream 34’ Classic Trailer

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins CTD

James and Tracy:

Pacing yourself is good. That is why we are starting now to avoid a major crunch as it get closer.

This couple lived in and worked from their motorhome for a year (http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com/) before going out on the road. They wanted to make sure that they could live fulltime in a RV.

Dave

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I can't wait. Twelve degrees this morning and someone didn't plug in or take inside one of our Trackmobiles so out on the rails we go to get it started.

I don't want to wish my life away but come on 2018!!!!

Bill

"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.

By Gregg Shields at RVHAULERS

“Penny Lane” 2018 DRV HOUSTON

"ABBEY" 2013 smart for-two Passion

"Tilly" Irish Wolfhound/lab mix  ( Good Memories)

Piedmontexpress:

15 degrees this morning. Three more winters (2015, 2016, 2017) since we plan to hit the road in May 2017. After 2017 we plan on being in a warm area for winters.

I won't miss the cold. We're not wishing the time away as we have so much to do to get the house ready for sale. We like to have the house in show model condition to maximize the resale dollar. The remaining 2 1/2 years will fly by.

Dave

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone!

Yeah, I know, I'm late. I haven't been on the computer very much lately.

Fast coming up on 1/3 done with house renovations! WooHoo!! The 'stuff' level is dropping steadily with much more to go. 2015 is going to be a VERY busy year! Still would like to move my jump-off date up to late 2016 instead of late 2017.

Tampa Super RV show coming up next week. Really excited to get over there and see what's new for 2015 and maybe even narrow my field down a little more.

Lots going on!

Russ

Happy New Year from California!!!!! Hope all is well with everyone and your planning stages. This year for travel will be a lot like last year. Arizona in March to visit family and get in some spring training games. Might get Sedona and Tombstone in as well this round. Mount Rushmore with the grand kids in June or July. Last June we went to Yellowstone. We are all looking forward to this trip.

Some sad news to start off the New Year: We suddenly lost our near 7 year old Rottie Zoe. On new years eve she was really out of it so we took her in and they found a ruptured tumor on her spleen. Say what? We had no idea she had issues. Needless to say there was no saving her. And that is how our new year started......

James

USN Retired

Real sorry to hear about your dog. Pretty amazing how much a part of the family they become.

I got to dog-sit my daughter's dog Sasha over the Xmas break for about 2 weeks and truly enjoyed having her around. Unfortunately I had to give her back. That sucked. So now I'm contemplating maybe going out to the humane society and see if maybe a dog would pick me.

Russ

Russ,

That is what we will do when we are ready for another dog. We had a rescue for 12 years and she was awesome. I met a guy at work yesterday that had three rescue golden retrievers. I will not go that far but he said he loved it and it was very fulfilling.

James

USN Retired

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone... I've been lurking for a bit but haven't written in a long time. I wanted to jump in here because I think that DH and I have got our graduation date... July 2017 (or a little sooner)! We will probably put the house up for sale next year and hope it sells. If it does, we are going to rent an apartment (or stay in RV if we've purchased) until launch time.

We've been purging and I agree with previous posters about your "stuff" going for mere pennies. It is tough but afterwards we felt good to get rid of so much. We are going to do it again this spring and get rid of even more. We know that we will rent a storage space to keep the things that we just can't/won't depart with. We've been in contact with a place locally to find out prices and humidity/climate control etc.

It is so exciting to prepare! We've been slowly preparing for a couple of years now... mainly with research. Now, it's getting more serious. Ha Ha. We also think that we have FINALLY decided on a type of RV... we are going to go with a 5er! We have a few in mind and it'll depend on what kind of deal we can get at time of purchase. Our first choice is an Open Range. We want a diesel F450 to pull it.

So, that's the current plan. Thanks for letting me jump into the class of 2017!!

MimiRaul

Not RVing yet... in a few years

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list" ~ Susan Sontag

Welcome MimiRaul to the class of 2017.

July 2017 will come faster than you think! It's exciting to pick out the RV that's right for you.

We're just starting to purge our stuff. We really need to get going on getting the house ready - painting interior walls, etc.

It seems like we have so little time to get things done. Our target date is May 2017.

We have our RV and tow vehicle.

Dave

Dave

Welcome MimiRaul!!! We are heading out April 2017. We have a 2014 Open Range 367BHS. We went with a bunk house so our daughter can have her own room in the rear. It has also come in handy for our grand kids. We tow with a Chevy 3500 Diesel Crew Cab Long Bed 4 WD. and we love them both. We float down the highway. Open Range has a great 2 year warranty if you buy new. There is a Open Range forum if you haven't already found it. Good luck on getting ready. As Dave said it will be here before we know it.

James

USN Retired

Welcome MimiRaul! Good to see a new 'face' for the 2017 jump-off!

Like you, I'm thinking seriously about moving my plans up and putting the house on the market right about this time next year. That will force me to purchase the rig sooner (and I'm soooooo very heartbroken over that, not) as it will be my new home. The key will be getting the house un-stuffed and renovations completed which is far easier said than done.

Good news is that I went to the Tampa RV Supershow this last weekend and I think I've got her all picked out! Keystone Montana High Country 293RK. I spent a very large portion of the day going in and out of rigs (ho-hum) but the instant I went into this one, I knew it immediately. It fits every criteria I have with only a couple of very minor things I don't like. It will still need a lot of upgrades (mostly electrical, solar, etc.) but I think this is the one!

Russ

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Dave... you are so right! The time is fast approaching. It seems like just yesterday that we started talking about this and here we are several years later and it is going to be a reality. We are so excited but there is SO much to think about still and do!

James... I see you are US Navy retired! Thank you SO much for your service. It is well appreciated. My hubby is currently active duty and we'll be heading out when he retires (most likely 2016/2017). I am a teacher and I want to finish the school year so it'll be in the summer. My son is also active duty too. He and my daughter in law live in CA (other side of the country from us). They will be trying for our first grandchild soon so all the more reason to be FREE and hit the road. I'm so glad that you like your Open Range. We went in one a couple weeks ago and fell in love. I don't think we need the bunk house but we are not opposed to it either. So, your 3500 has no problems... we are still unsure of the size truck we need and that's why I said F450 but if a F350 will pull it that might be better.

Russ...sounds like we are thinking alike. I'm thinking that the sooner we sell the house the sooner it'll feel more "real." Ha Ha. Also, our 2nd choice 5er is a Montana. Aren't they great? Our local RV shows will be coming up within the next few months and we can't wait to go look again. We went last year and really liked the Montanas. Also, we are going to do solar too! Are you doing mounted on top or portable? We are still undecided.

MimiRaul

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Dave... you are so right! The time is fast approaching. It seems like just yesterday that we started talking about this and here we are several years later and it is going to be a reality. We are so excited but there is SO much to think about still and do!

James... I see you are US Navy retired! Thank you SO much for your service. It is well appreciated. My hubby is currently active duty and we'll be heading out when he retires (most likely 2016/2017). I am a teacher and I want to finish the school year so it'll be in the summer. My son is also active duty too. He and my daughter in law live in CA (other side of the country from us). They will be trying for our first grandchild soon so all the more reason to be FREE and hit the road. I'm so glad that you like your Open Range. We went in one a couple weeks ago and fell in love. I don't think we need the bunk house but we are not opposed to it either. So, your 3500 has no problems... we are still unsure of the size truck we need and that's why I said F450 but if a F350 will pull it that might be better.

Russ...sounds like we are thinking alike. I'm thinking that the sooner we sell the house the sooner it'll feel more "real." Ha Ha. Also, our 2nd choice 5er is a Montana. Aren't they great? Our local RV shows will be coming up within the next few months and we can't wait to go look again. We went last year and really liked the Montanas. Also, we are going to do solar too! Are you doing mounted on top or portable? We are still undecided.

MimiRaul Thank you so much and the same to your husband and your son for serving as well. My son was active duty Army for 2 years and now the reserves. He's done 2 tours in Cuba as a prison guard.

I didn't mention my Truck is a single rear wheel. I could not convince the wife to get a dually. But we started out towing our open range with a 3/4 ton truck for the first year and it did ok. Towing with a standard bed was no fun especially since the trailer is 37 feet long. We have no issues with the long bed. It has an exhaust break and a manual transmission switch that makes it easy to to get down the the steep grades. These trucks can pull a house off its foundation. Stopping safely is the issue.

We are young grand parents. We are both 50 and we have 4 with the oldest turning 11 this month. They are so much fun. We love to take the 2 older ones with us. The younger ones go when their parents can go. LOL. Good luck to you on that front. Where at in California is your son? We both grew up in San Diego and that is where I joined the Navy.

Take care!!!

James

USN Retired

MimiRaul Thank you so much and the same to your husband and your son for serving as well. My son was active duty Army for 2 years and now the reserves. He's done 2 tours in Cuba as a prison guard.

I didn't mention my Truck is a single rear wheel. I could not convince the wife to get a dually. But we started out towing our open range with a 3/4 ton truck for the first year and it did ok. Towing with a standard bed was no fun especially since the trailer is 37 feet long. We have no issues with the long bed. It has an exhaust break and a manual transmission switch that makes it easy to to get down the the steep grades. These trucks can pull a house off its foundation. Stopping safely is the issue.

We are young grand parents. We are both 50 and we have 4 with the oldest turning 11 this month. They are so much fun. We love to take the 2 older ones with us. The younger ones go when their parents can go. LOL. Good luck to you on that front. Where at in California is your son? We both grew up in San Diego and that is where I joined the Navy.

Take care!!!

James

Hi again James...I will let hubby and son know you send "thank yous" their way. Tell your son thank you from us as well (Cuba must have been interesting; I bet he has some stories). My son may not be a "lifer" in the Navy either. He's making that decision now but I think the reserves may the way to go for him too. How long were you in? Hubby is coming up on 28 years! Eeek... time sure did fly by. I remember that very young man (hubby) heading off on the bus to the Richmond MEP (sp.) station and me crying my eyes out... Seems like yesterday. Anyway, enough nostalgia!

You were VERY young when you became a grandpa for the first time! We will be young too when our son and DIL have our first. We are 45/46 now. :-) We also feel young to be "retiring" and that's why we've stayed in for so long. He is trying to reach 30 years (or really close to that) but his current job/command is going to be the deciding factor. It's not an ordinary billet but I can't really get into on the web. ;)

We always talk about taking the grandkids with us when they get a little bigger and we don't even have any yet! Ha Ha! I don't blame ya for taking the bigger ones with you and then the little ones only when parents can come...whew, they are a handful. I teach 1st graders all day and I have 20 of them running around. Your grandkids probably love it too! Do you live near them now? My son and DIL are actually in "San Dog" right now. :-) They LOVE it and they are both East Coast born and bred. They do miss home but they are enjoying that area. My DH actually graduated boot camp there when it was still there. We went to see our son and went back to where it was and we were SO suprised at how it is now. Very different from when DH graduated.

How do you like your Chevy? I know, I know... you love it, right? We have always been a Ford family (my side of the family). I am not opposed to a Dodge but I told DH that my grandpa would "turn over in his grave" if we got a Chevy. LOL! Hubby mentioned that the Navy uses Chevys and he knows them really well and they are great. Thanks for the info on your 3500 and that it's SRW. That is also a factor that DH and I are trying to decide on... dually or not. We found an F450 that we really like but it's not a dually. I don't blame your wife for not wanting one. I don't know her reasons but to me they look silly and unneccesarily too big and cumbersome. Just my opinion everyone... please don't take offense. :P

Take care... Mimi

MimiRaul

Hi Mimi, That is awesome that you hubby will hit 30 years. If I had stayed I would have retired 3 years ago and what a HUGE boost to that monthly check. My son does have some very interesting stories about Cuba. He is getting out in August. We grew up in Imperial Beach, CA and graduated from high school there. Perhaps you heard of the town when you visited your son. It's stated it's "the most southwestern city in the US". We both grew up 5 blocks from the beach and met in high school. That is awesome you teach first graders. What a challenge and rewarding job that must be.

We started out as a ford family when we got married and started out on the life journey. My wife's family always had a chevy truck and we just like the look and feel of them. I have never been a Dodge fan but don't really know why. My wife feels the same way about the dually's. They look silly to her and it's hard enough to park the truck now. She does 99 percent of the truck driving and towing. She's a superstar in my book at 5 feet tall.

Yes we were very young grandparents, still are!! LOL. . We all do live around each other. We have awesome DIL's. When we go to grand parents day at their Elementary School people ask us if we are their parents. It's so funny.

Well 2017 will be here before we know it. Maybe we will all cross pathways out there!!

James

USN Retired

Hi Mimi, That is awesome that you hubby will hit 30 years. If I had stayed I would have retired 3 years ago and what a HUGE boost to that monthly check. My son does have some very interesting stories about Cuba. He is getting out in August. We grew up in Imperial Beach, CA and graduated from high school there. Perhaps you heard of the town when you visited your son. It's stated it's "the most southwestern city in the US". We both grew up 5 blocks from the beach and met in high school. That is awesome you teach first graders. What a challenge and rewarding job that must be.

We started out as a ford family when we got married and started out on the life journey. My wife's family always had a chevy truck and we just like the look and feel of them. I have never been a Dodge fan but don't really know why. My wife feels the same way about the dually's. They look silly to her and it's hard enough to park the truck now. She does 99 percent of the truck driving and towing. She's a superstar in my book at 5 feet tall.

Yes we were very young grandparents, still are!! LOL. . We all do live around each other. We have awesome DIL's. When we go to grand parents day at their Elementary School people ask us if we are their parents. It's so funny.

Well 2017 will be here before we know it. Maybe we will all cross pathways out there!!

James

Hi James... I think we went to Imperial Beach when we were visiting them but we went to so many places I can't say for sure. Hubby and I are high school sweethearts as well. I grew up in the same area and he was an Air Force "brat" and then came to my area during our Junior year. We have been together since Senior year.

My DIL is so great too... she is like another daughter to me. We love her so much. When we all go out they think that she and I are actually blood related as she looks more like me than my son. Ha Ha. My hubby is 1/2 hispanic and my son is just like him. I'm the total opposite!

That is too funny about your grandchildren and the comments about you being their actual parents. I love it!

Yeah, it'll be a nice retirement check for us with 75% of his current pay. We are both looking forward to leaving our jobs. I love teaching but it can often be overwhelming...probably cause I really take it seriously and work hard to ensure each child is successful. We have to meet them where they are at and trust me, they are all on different levels and with different needs. I love 'em though! I laugh everyday... you've heard the saying "out of the mouth of babes" and boy is it true.

Yes, we may see each other on the road in 2017; you and your DW will have a little bit of a head start but we won't be too far behind. :-)

Mimi

MimiRaul

• 4 weeks later...

Hey class of 2017 we are awfully quiet!! What's everyone up to this year???

We are heading to Goodyear, AZ March 3rd for our 3rd year in a row. This time My son's family is going and are going to stay with us in the trailer. So 8 of us for 4 nights. It's going to be a blast.

We will be visiting 2 brothers and my mother. We are going to catch a couple of Spring Training games and probably hit up Tombstone or Sedona. This is the first of many trips this year we have planned.

We will do some holiday weekend camping or "glamping" as we put it this year.

The main event is taking the 2 older grand kids (9 and 11) to Mt Rushmore in July. It's going to be a blast. Last year it was Yellowstone.

Lets hear some plans!!!

James

USN Retired

So, I've been lurking around here since at least 2004. Finally decided it is time to create an account and join the class.

DH and I are aiming for July 1, 2017 as our takeoff date, making us the newest members of the class. So happy to be here. So overwhelmed by how much needs to be done in just a little over two years. :)

Welcome to the class of 2017!!! I hope more jump in as 2017 gets closer. It is very overwhelming I agree. Make a plan go over it again and again.

July 1st what a great target date. We started planning 5 years out and we are now down to 25 months. Good Luck!!!

James

USN Retired

Archived