Tumbleweed

Class of 2017

459 posts in this topic

We had a shakedown cruise with our 04 Southwind this week, and suddenly the list of "things to do" grew a mile long.

Already done this week:
Find and fix gas leak
Fix sticking screen door

This weekend:
Replace porch light
Install "Stay-a-while" propane fitting
Figure out why there's no water to the ice maker
Replace leaking shower faucet

For the repair shop:
Fix/replace microwave (runs, but doesn't heat)
Fix anemic water pump

For the future:
Replace weak hatch lifts
Replace/rekey basement locks
Replace door lock with keyless entry
Build a cat box to sit on the dog house
Dog-proof the screen door

That ought to keep me busy!

Edited by DunellenGuy
Posted accidentally before complete

22 hours ago, DunellenGuy said:

Fix anemic water pump

There is probably a rebuild kit available for yours. Check what brand & model it is and let us know here as there is probably a member or two who have rebuilt one like yours. Most common in RVs are pumps that use a diaphragm system and those are easy to rebuild. 

Replace porch light

If changing the fixture and not just a bulb, I suggest you go digital as there are several excellent choices.

Not so sure that I would take this to an RV shop. Your appliance guy is probably better at it and you may even find it more economical to just replace it. 

Replace/rekey basement locks

If you are concerned about the common key found for most RVs, we have lived with that now for many years and have never found it to be a security issue. I would put that far down my list if I were you. 

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, DunellenGuy said:

Fix anemic water pump

You *Could* rebuild it but better yet, just buy a new ShurFlo pump on Amazon - the one we have in our Coach puts out 55PSI for a VERY Satisfying shower when we are not on city water :) 

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-4048-153-E75-Multi-Fixture-Automatic-Demand/dp/B00O9VF8NK/ref=pd_sbs_263_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00O9VF8NK&pd_rd_r=FNEE9795T7SXGHAWJWMN&pd_rd_w=f44qi&pd_rd_wg=TvWO0&psc=1&refRID=FNEE9795T7SXGHAWJWMN

Replace it with a Convection/Microwave and tear out the propane stove and convert to a pots/pans storage drawer - the DW will love you for it (and you will have a oven that actually WORKS LOL)

Oh yeah...and getting rid of the propane stove is one less fire hazard appliance in your coach! (Propane appliances are the #1 cause of RV Fires)

Build a cat box to sit on the dog house

Or... a top opening cat box (that is dog proof) that, when parked, goes conveniently under the steering wheel in the driver's side of the cockpit ;) 

https://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Top-Entry-Litter-Pan/dp/B00KVL30NC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496673096&sr=8-1&keywords=top+opening+cat+box

Replace door lock with keyless entry

Good luck with this one :( This was the #1 thing I wanted to do on our coach and I have found out that unless you are lucky to have a frame that will fit a new door that comes pre-installed with a keyless lock, you will be out of luck finding a keyless lock that will fit your door. Sorry/

Sold the house, bought MH and heading out 5/7/2017.  Yes, it's Monday and we leave for a full time adventure on Wed. Heading up CA and OR coast before heading east to see our 5 grandkids who live in the Chicago area.  Just put up a Facebook page "Travels with Gertrude" to keep friends and family updated on our adventure.

40' with full length basement and amazed that we are filled to the gills.  I can't imagine going full time in anything smaller.  My wife says get rid of the fishing stuff.  NOT

3 hours ago, Kiltedpig said:

40' with full length basement and amazed that we are filled to the gills.  I can't imagine going full time in anything smaller.  My wife says get rid of the fishing stuff.  NOT

Only 40'? How DO you Manage? ;)

(We are 45') :D:D:D

We had our estate sale yesterday and today. It was a good turnout and we made pretty good money, but it's amazing how much stuff is still left.

So, tomorrow we're inviting all of our friends and everyone at our church to come over and "Take what you want, pay what you like." The goal is an empty house.

Here's the weird thing. I didn't really mind seeing people walking out the door with our things. What I minded was people picking up stuff that I think of as precious, and putting it down because they are not interested! I know it's irrational, but it felt like they were rejecting me along with my stuff!

Two weeks to retirement. Been living in the RV in our driveway since Monday. Wow -- it's really here.

Congrads on getting the estate sale over with DunellenGuy

I'd think you will find beautiful spots while your touring the country that will make it all worth it.  Only you can say if those new memories can replace what you are letting go of.  

What an adventure. We are looking forward to our time to leave. 

5 hours ago, DunellenGuy said:

We had our estate sale yesterday and today. It was a good turnout and we made pretty good money, but it's amazing how much stuff is still left.

So, tomorrow we're inviting all of our friends and everyone at our church to come over and "Take what you want, pay what you like." The goal is an empty house.

Here's the weird thing. I didn't really mind seeing people walking out the door with our things. What I minded was people picking up stuff that I think of as precious, and putting it down because they are not interested! I know it's irrational, but it felt like they were rejecting me along with my stuff!

Two weeks to retirement. Been living in the RV in our driveway since Monday. Wow -- it's really here.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I hope all turns out well for you an that we can meet you two on the road - we are up to Alaska next year