Class of 2017

Tumbleweed

We had a shakedown cruise with our 04 Southwind this week, and suddenly the list of "things to do" grew a mile long.

Already done this week:
Find and fix gas leak
Fix sticking screen door

This weekend:
Replace porch light
Install "Stay-a-while" propane fitting
Figure out why there's no water to the ice maker
Replace leaking shower faucet

For the repair shop:
Fix/replace microwave (runs, but doesn't heat)
Fix anemic water pump

For the future:
Replace weak hatch lifts
Replace/rekey basement locks
Replace door lock with keyless entry
Build a cat box to sit on the dog house
Dog-proof the screen door

That ought to keep me busy!

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, DunellenGuy said:

Fix anemic water pump

There is probably a rebuild kit available for yours. Check what brand & model it is and let us know here as there is probably a member or two who have rebuilt one like yours. Most common in RVs are pumps that use a diaphragm system and those are easy to rebuild. 

Replace porch light

If changing the fixture and not just a bulb, I suggest you go digital as there are several excellent choices.

Not so sure that I would take this to an RV shop. Your appliance guy is probably better at it and you may even find it more economical to just replace it. 

Replace/rekey basement locks

If you are concerned about the common key found for most RVs, we have lived with that now for many years and have never found it to be a security issue. I would put that far down my list if I were you. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, DunellenGuy said:

Fix anemic water pump

You *Could* rebuild it but better yet, just buy a new ShurFlo pump on Amazon - the one we have in our Coach puts out 55PSI for a VERY Satisfying shower when we are not on city water :) 

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-4048-153-E75-Multi-Fixture-Automatic-Demand/dp/B00O9VF8NK/ref=pd_sbs_263_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00O9VF8NK&pd_rd_r=FNEE9795T7SXGHAWJWMN&pd_rd_w=f44qi&pd_rd_wg=TvWO0&psc=1&refRID=FNEE9795T7SXGHAWJWMN

Replace it with a Convection/Microwave and tear out the propane stove and convert to a pots/pans storage drawer - the DW will love you for it (and you will have a oven that actually WORKS LOL)

Oh yeah...and getting rid of the propane stove is one less fire hazard appliance in your coach! (Propane appliances are the #1 cause of RV Fires)

Build a cat box to sit on the dog house

Or... a top opening cat box (that is dog proof) that, when parked, goes conveniently under the steering wheel in the driver's side of the cockpit ;) 

https://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Top-Entry-Litter-Pan/dp/B00KVL30NC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496673096&sr=8-1&keywords=top+opening+cat+box

Replace door lock with keyless entry

Good luck with this one :( This was the #1 thing I wanted to do on our coach and I have found out that unless you are lucky to have a frame that will fit a new door that comes pre-installed with a keyless lock, you will be out of luck finding a keyless lock that will fit your door. Sorry/

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

Sold the house, bought MH and heading out 5/7/2017.  Yes, it's Monday and we leave for a full time adventure on Wed. Heading up CA and OR coast before heading east to see our 5 grandkids who live in the Chicago area.  Just put up a Facebook page "Travels with Gertrude" to keep friends and family updated on our adventure.

3 hours ago, Kiltedpig said:

40' with full length basement and amazed that we are filled to the gills.  I can't imagine going full time in anything smaller.  My wife says get rid of the fishing stuff.  NOT

Only 40'? How DO you Manage? ;)

(We are 45') :D:D:D

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

We had our estate sale yesterday and today. It was a good turnout and we made pretty good money, but it's amazing how much stuff is still left.

So, tomorrow we're inviting all of our friends and everyone at our church to come over and "Take what you want, pay what you like." The goal is an empty house.

Here's the weird thing. I didn't really mind seeing people walking out the door with our things. What I minded was people picking up stuff that I think of as precious, and putting it down because they are not interested! I know it's irrational, but it felt like they were rejecting me along with my stuff!

Two weeks to retirement. Been living in the RV in our driveway since Monday. Wow -- it's really here.

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

Congrads on getting the estate sale over with DunellenGuy

I'd think you will find beautiful spots while your touring the country that will make it all worth it.  Only you can say if those new memories can replace what you are letting go of.  

What an adventure. We are looking forward to our time to leave. 

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

5 hours ago, DunellenGuy said:

We had our estate sale yesterday and today. It was a good turnout and we made pretty good money, but it's amazing how much stuff is still left.

So, tomorrow we're inviting all of our friends and everyone at our church to come over and "Take what you want, pay what you like." The goal is an empty house.

Here's the weird thing. I didn't really mind seeing people walking out the door with our things. What I minded was people picking up stuff that I think of as precious, and putting it down because they are not interested! I know it's irrational, but it felt like they were rejecting me along with my stuff!

Two weeks to retirement. Been living in the RV in our driveway since Monday. Wow -- it's really here.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I hope all turns out well for you an that we can meet you two on the road - we are up to Alaska next year

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

We are in our second week of being full time.  Sold the house and everything we didn't bring with us in the 5th wheel.  What didn't sell went to church/charity.  It's oddly refreshing living in a 40' trailer with the family.  We keep getting the feeling the trip will be over soon and we will be pulling back into the driveway at "home".  Then the sudden realization that this trailer and the road are home now snaps you back.  

We are now in the class of 2017

Congratulations Eric!!!

I have always wondered if moving into a new 5th wheel is similar to moving into a new sticks and bricks where it takes 6 months before it feels like home?  Although going full time, downsizing and moving around the country adds a few new dynamics.  I trust what others say which is after the first year or so it all becomes more second nature.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

7 hours ago, Eric A. said:

We are in our second week of being full time.

Welcome to the Escapee forums. It is great having you take part so come back often.

We have found that doing personal touches to the interior as you would when moving into a new stick house helps to make the RV seem more like your home. If you have not done so, put up your own pictures on the walls and other decorating touches. RVs often come with much of that built-in, even some pictures on walls, but none of us would leave a stick house just as it was when we bought it and you should approach the RV home in much that same way. You can also encourage that feeling in members of the family by referring to the RV as home, such as telling them "let's go home" when you mean to return to your RV. It is the little things that make anywhere you live into a home. 

7 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Welcome to the Escapee forums. It is great having you take part so come back often.

We have found that doing personal touches to the interior as you would when moving into a new stick house helps to make the RV seem more like your home. If you have not done so, put up your own pictures on the walls and other decorating touches. RVs often come with much of that built-in, even some pictures on walls, but none of us would leave a stick house just as it was when we bought it and you should approach the RV home in much that same way. You can also encourage that feeling in members of the family by referring to the RV as home, such as telling them "let's go home" when you mean to return to your RV. It is the little things that make anywhere you live into a home. 

Thanks for the warm welcome!  We have done many things to the 5er to make it our own.  I am one who cannot leave anything "stock".  Aside from standard modifications and upgrades we've also started lots of interior work to make it cozy and "home".  It is good to have found a forum more dedicated to Full Time RV so we don't feel like the only "crazy" people in this lifestyle.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:03 PM, Eric A. said:

I am one who cannot leave anything "stock". 

Congrats Eric. I had to laugh because I'm that way also, can't leave anything stock. Car, truck, motorcycle... I'd be changing things on our 5er if it weren't for the fact that we will more than likely sell it and probably go with a mid 30 ft. super C once we sell the sticks & bricks. And of course it won't remain "stock" either haha.

We were hoping to be part of the class of 2017 but looks like we'll end up part of the class of 2018. Oh well, what's another few months? We're also planning on doing some missions work along the lines of helping build churches etc. I'm a former contractor and even after being out of construction for almost 20 years now it's still in my blood. Darn back injury.

12 hours ago, CasperBob said:

Oh well, what's another few months? We're also planning on doing some missions work along the lines of helping build churches etc.

CasperBob as in Casper, WY? We lived in Cheyenne for 18 years. We have many neighbors who are members of SOWERS, COM, TX Baptist Men, and one or two others.

On 7/2/2017 at 6:14 AM, Kirk Wood said:

CasperBob as in Casper, WY? We lived in Cheyenne for 18 years. We have many neighbors who are members of SOWERS, COM, TX Baptist Men, and one or two others.

Yes sir, Kirk. Been in Casper 30 years come September. My wife is from Cheyenne. I'm always amazed at what a small world we live in when talking to RVers.

Hi, After reading the first few posts, I am super confused!  Some of them are from 2013 - does that mean folks started planning this 4 years ago??

Well, if that is true, that is not me.  I started planning this In February 2017 and I am moving into my 2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS on Friday - so I am 2017 - right?  

I am looking for help right now, in real-time...

I am currently moving my stuff into my TT (which is parked on the street)  I have no tow vehicle yet and have to rely on friends hauling me around.  I am "planning" 4 days in an RV park, 2 days either boondocking or in an Airbnb, 4 more days in the RV park (where I will be volunteering during a music festival held at the county fairgrounds where the RV park is located), then to my friends property for a few months where electricity will be sporadic (bc we have to share and they have a business that depends on lots of juice) and water but no septic.

So, I have a lot to learn in a very, very short time.

Who has been where I am going? lol

I am 51, single gal, semi-retired and live with my 2 living examples of joy, Bug and Bean (Chihuahua mixes)

Peace, MM and BnB

Well I guess I am like many others....  

In May I drove from Florida to Iowa to pick up the new 5er.  It's in the driveway.  Getting ready.  Giving away lots of 'stuff!'

My Home and rental properties remain on the market, but regardless I have set my departure date for September 1 (if I can wait that long).  Although I have no real specific plans, I am initially heading toward California.  I did make reservations at Grand Canyon in October (fills up ahead of time!).

I will be travelling solo, except for Julie the Chihuahua.

Class of 2017!

I haven't checked in for a while but a lot has happened.  I thought that we wouldn't be able to fulltime until 2018 but that has changed,  DH and I owned a campground for 34 years.  We listed it for sale and it sold much sooner then we anticipated.  In March we bought our truck and in April we bought our 5er,  On June 15th we sold our park and moved into the 5er.  It has been a dizzying few months but we are now officially fulltimers.  We are camping in our park until September and then taking off on our new adventures.  I guess that makes me a part of the Class of 2017.  Yeah!!

On 7/1/2017 at 7:28 PM, CasperBob said:

Congrats Eric. I had to laugh because I'm that way also, can't leave anything stock. Car, truck, motorcycle... I'd be changing things on our 5er if it weren't for the fact that we will more than likely sell it and probably go with a mid 30 ft. super C once we sell the sticks & bricks. And of course it won't remain "stock" either haha.

We were hoping to be part of the class of 2017 but looks like we'll end up part of the class of 2018. Oh well, what's another few months? We're also planning on doing some missions work along the lines of helping build churches etc. I'm a former contractor and even after being out of construction for almost 20 years now it's still in my blood. Darn back injury.

I worked construction building custom homes for many years, definitely helps being able to understand working on a structure.  Those were some back breaking times and after 19 years I got out before it disabled me.  I wouldn't trade the experience I gained but it was earned in blood, sweat, and tears lol.

I am new to this forum, a little late to the graduation!

We decided to retire asap back in 2015 after I had recovered from a serious back injury. We had decided to actively pursue early retirement IF/WHEN our home became valued at a certain amount and by that fall, it hit our magic number. 

We spent 8 months frantically rehabbing it to sell for top dollar. 

By March 2016 we knew we were close to listing it and had no plan for where to live. Our income was going to be from our rentals, DH has managed them for many years so he'd been "retired" since 2011. I set my retirement date for January 2017, so between when we sold and then, we needed some place to live. We opted to buy our rull time rig early because my mom graciously offered us her horse pasture to live in for the cost of electricity (the barn has its own service). We had been planning this transition for a few years and had the money saved up so we did not need to finance our full time setup, I suspect if we had to wait to sell our home we would have instead rented something small, or had a vacancy come up with one of our units, we would have stayed there until the home sold, but as luck would have it we paid cash for our setup and that was a good feeling!

In March we bought a 2016 28.5rsts  Jayco and then found a 2004 Dodge RAM 3500drw, we were set!

We listed our home for 25k over our "price" because that was the market, we listed it the weekend of mother's day and held all offers until the following tuesday. All offers were over asking price, we picked the highest one as it was the strongest. our home ended up selling for 40k over our "price".

It closed on June 3 and we had moved to my mom's on May 31. Wow, what an experience that was! We were so unprepared to minimize, to take care of our new home, learning the tricks and tips all came as time went by over that summer. We learned lots. We were even lucky enough to experience the coldest, snowiest winter in our area in many, many years. Work for me was awful, but I did get into a vanpool for the last 5 months thank goodness.

Finally my last day of work (Jan 27-I consider this our formal FIRE - Financially Independent Retired Early date) came and went and our final prep kicked into high gear. On March 15th we cut the cord and moved from my mom's into the Thousand Trails system. We had bought a used membership and currently spend two to three weeks in a park and move on to the next one. We've stayed in eight parks so far. Each are different, some we love and others we will not go back to again for various reasons. We have a variety of other memberships to fill in the gaps where there are no Thousand Trails and we are currently considering the latest "upgrade" since we bought an older membership with only 59 parks, we want all of the parks, but at the time we didn't know what we wanted:)

So far we love the full time RV lifestyle. We feel pretty pampered because our pre-retirement camping was mostly boondocking or staying at horse show facilities while I competed. We've learned yet more about life on the road and look forward to traveling the US very slowly:) 

event.png

On 7/9/2017 at 10:47 PM, Zineth said:

I am new to this forum, a little late to the graduation!

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Good to have you here, early or late.

We began to think about going RVing full-time nearly 15 years before retirement because we had some really good friends who did so at that time. We would see them each year when they passed through and listen to the stories they told, and that got us to thinking seriously of it. We began to get serious about it 11 years before retirement when we moved from WY to TX and had that in mind from that time on. We spent a great deal of time looking into that lifestyle and all of the related subjects. At the five year point, we started to spend time each year in one of the snowbird parks for a week each year, just to test if we would like being fulltimers.  We hit the road with many loose plans and several goals in mind, but all of that designed to be flexible. I believe that it is difficult to know if you have been successful when you have no goals at all. We had goals like seeing at least 2 new states each year, visiting all 50 states over 10 years, etc. Our adventure was interrupted by health issues and we still had one state to visit. But we have plans to spend part of the summer of 2018 in that last state!

• 2 weeks later...

As we sit here in the Prince William Forest RV Park in Dumfries VA, waiting for our house to sell, we enter the class of 2017.  We've been officially full timing since the day that our bedroom set went out the door to charity and we moved into our travel trailer that we've had since 2012.  That was in mid May.  We're headed to England for our grand daughter's first birthday, to visit Edinburgh Scotland, and see the famous Tattoo.  After that we start our fulltime adventure in earnest by heading up to Bar Harbor in Maine.  Following that, we have a general itinerary that takes us down to Tennessee for the RV Dreams Fall Rally, to Cincinnati to visit relatives, and to West VA to see friends, just before Thanksgiving.  Then  we migrate down to the Florida panhandle for the winter--grand daughter and family are relocating back there from England. Looking forward to good dialog in this and other forums. 

A lot has happened since I last posted in this thread. I was in England for 5 weeks, during which time my parents got an offer on the house. It is now under contract. Now comes the mad dash to sell everything before they take possession on August 4th (we don't actually close until Aug 18 but we don't want to deal with the heating install and the buyers are currently homeless since they closed on their house). 

I still need to get my solar installed and I only have half the parts and I hope my friend has finished all the fabrication and jack work so I can finish up on moving my stuff and be ready to go. 5W is currently in Gillette and has been there for 2 months. 

So my original plan of going full-time October 1st has now become August 3rd...eek. 

I am staying in the area (Sheridan, WY) through mid-September as I have backpacking plans in the state in August and September. I hope to be able to park on a friend's place while I am here and can finish up making sure all systems work, but then will be heading south to Moab and the southern Utah/ northern Arizona for the winter to work.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Great seeing all the new members of the Class of '17!

As some of you know we graduated early, so we are celebrating our anniversary this week!

You can read about it here: https://williamsrvadventures.blogspot.com/

event.png

Archived