Tumbleweed

Class of 2017

435 posts in this topic

We are selling things, setting up garage and estate sales and intend to be out of Fayetteville, Arkansas by June 1st I think that is 86 days from now. Woo Hoooooo

We have officially been living in our 5th wheel for two weeks now! We had our estate sale and sold so much, we had to move out of our house of 23 years! The house is empty except for our clothes closet.... still some work to do there. The house is on the market! Three years ago, when we started this journey, I thought this day would never come! We love our new 5th wheel, named Honalee! We are new to RVing so we are learning more every day. We still work... we both retire May 31!! And then the real adventure begins with travel! We had thought we would head to Newfoundland but after more thought, we remembered the reason we are doing this... to relax!! So, no agenda. We are just going to head North and see what we see and go where it looks interesting and end up where we end up. Hopefully we will learn how to slow down and relax. After working for 45 years (since I was 16), I have to adjust to the fact that I don't have to: go to work,... make money,.... pay bills,... and repeat.... The money will just come to me!!??

Congratulations on your graduation Kathie & Tom!

We retire this DEC, and will be traveling to Alaska next year. We found out as we researched our trip, that campgrounds in very desirable places fill up quickly - sometimes a year in advance! So, you might want to consider (as we did) looking into long-range reservations to places you really want to visit. Especially in the Maritimes and popular destinations in the USA.

For instance, if you are considering visiting the Florida Keys in Jan, 2018, you are probably too late-already booked! Same for a lot of the campgrounds on the Alaska Highway & on a lot of the popular routes through the Maritimes: reservations for this summer were made by a lot of travelers *last* summer!

Not dissuading a go-with-the-flow, no agenda travel plan (we are doing this as well!!) Just suggesting that if a place you want to visit is a popular destination, you may want to consider making advance reservations and use that date range as a anchor around the rest of your footloose and fancy free travels :)

I'm gradually getting stuff sold too for the house (my parents' house) to go on the market in May. I'd much prefer to get it all sold sooner than later but since they will be here for the summer they kinda want furniture and cook pots and plates to use while they're here (bummer). I'm looking at September as my launch date...but I will be done with work May 5th for other travel.

Congrats Dune!  

We leave in 81 days, 9 hours and 19 minutes. Not that I'm counting.

We are doing a run to Escapade Tucson trying to workout the problems with our rig but seems something new comes up each time. Now a short in our 12v small slide out.

Hi, Everyone! We are John and Pat, travelling with our 7-year-old diabetic orange tabby cat, Macadamia. It's all coming together! We finally sold (some), gave away (a lot) and/or threw away (some) our 'stuff' and have reduced our footprint to what fits in our mid-sized SUV. We put our house on the market on Friday and we just accepted an offer that meets our needs. We are shocked at how fast everything is going! If all goes well, we will meet our goal of heading out to South Dakota by 1 May and hopefully very soon after that, we'll graduate into full-timing. (We just have that niggling little problem of finding our 'dream' RV; but with luck, that will fall into place, as well.) We're very happy to be members of the Class of 2017!

We move into our 5th wheel on the 1st of April (yes, seriously)  In December of 2016 we decided to sell our house and hit the road full-time with our three kids and two dogs.  Well everything happened a little quicker than we expected and the house closes 31 March.  We'll be staying local until 01 July so my wife can finish out the school year as the Childrens Director at our church.  I guess that makes us the Class of 2017.

It's all pretty exciting that we're all in our departure year and ready to fly coop, and seeing those ahead of us get out and soar

Still not sure if we belong in class of 16, 17 or 18!

We have been in the 5th wheel since last June (16) and parked in the driveway of our house for 2 months while we worked on the house during the summer. Getting rid of 99% of stuff we didn't need happened for 2 years straight  prior to that.  We put the house on the market in the fall., took it off again for the holidays and went with a realtor in mid January. The house sold within a week and we just closed Feb 27!!!!!  So officially we are full timers now (2017) since we no longer own property. We can't hit the road though until hubby's retirement in June 2018. 

We are overjoyed at being unshackled financially and debt free! It was tough to transition while still working but we have completed one of 2 midwest winters in the RV and are free to continue to save $$$ since we both will work another year yet. We are so glad we decided to downsize  2 years BEFORE retirement. 

Weeding out belongings, downsizing to about 400 sq ft and preparing to sell the home you lived in for 17 years is not for the faint of heart. It is a drastic event and I am glad we are finally done. We don't miss it now that someone else owns it....out of sight -out of mind. Can't wait to hit the road and wish all of you who are still in the prep stages the very best. Remember the goal when you are knee deep in paint or on your knees installing flooring..... the time will go so fast!!