Class of 2017

Tumbleweed

We attended the Escapade last week. Great rally!!!

I met Kirk Wood; really great guy.

My wife is now much more knowledgeable on the fulltiming lifestyle.

The weather wasn't so good but being surrounded by SKP's made up for it.

Dave

Dave

2008 Airstream 34’ Classic Trailer

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins CTD

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, it was great meeting you as well as many others we see on the forums! Had it not been for conflicts with other events there would have been several others present and there was at least one member who forgot (Topfuel :wub: ) but it was a great event and won't be the last one. Thank you for attending.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

Sushidog:

You mentioned that you are planning on buying a trailer to fulltime in. What type of trailer are you planning on - a fifth wheel or a travel trailer?

Although it seems like a long way off now, your fulltiming start date will come faster than you think.

Dave

Dave

Tumbleweed,

We plan of purchasing a TT, not a fiver for a couple reasons. First, my DW has problems negotiating stairs - she can do it, but it's painful, so eliminating stairs inside our future home is important to us. We will also need the truck bed to carry our little motorbikes. If I build a rather spacious topper we can use it to carry our bike gear, generator and have some additional storage space that we would lose by not choosing a fiver. Also a TT tends to be a couple feet lower than a fiver, allowing us to get in more places with low hanging branches, low bridges, etc.

There are few high quality (read heavy) FT TTs available. Besides, we plan on being snowbirds - moving where the weather fits our clothes, so we're not looking for a 4 season model, trying to avoid freezing weather at all costs. Here's an example of some of the units we are considering: a Skyline Layton 314s, an Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS, a Salem 29FKBS, a Sprinter 300KBS, a Dutchman Denali 287RE, a Coachman 305RKDS, a Puma 30RKSS, or a Gulfstream Conquest 295SBW, the last 2 because of their high CCC and low weight). In realize that these low-end units probably won't last my entire expected retirement, but we'll (hopefully) be forced to buy another to replace it before we eventually expire. Our goal is to buy a gently used, late model (a couple weeks/yr, vacation TT) with at least 3,000 lbs CCC in the $10-$15k range. Of course at this price, we could afford to buy a few if needed (over the rest of our lives) vs what what a much heavier (meaning smaller in our case) FT TT is worth - if we could even find one, as FT TTs are pretty rare compared to fivers. Plus a used FT TT in our price range more than likely has been used extensively FT, making finding a lightly used one we can afford even harder.

Chip

Sushidog:

I did a lot of studying of the fulltime fifth wheels and concluded that the fulltiming units are very heavy especially if you get over 32'.

I'm not very knowledgeable on fulltime travel trailers. I know New Horizons makes them but again very heavy.

We will go fulltime in three years with what we have because my wife really like it (she doesn't want a motorhome, fifth wheel, or anything else).

Our trailer doesn't have a slide but is very bright because it has lots of windows; good for light but bad for heating and cooling.

Every type of unit has its advantages and disadvantages - the trailer is simpler than a motorhome with less to go wrong (at least from a chassis side).

Like you we will follow the weather - warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

Dave

Dave

Cool trailer Tumbleweed. There are many who FT in an Airstream, as they are very durable units. Cared for, they will easily be the last trailer you ever need to buy, though as you say, lacking in space and carrying capacity. Unfortunately the mid to upper five figures a decent used one costs puts one out of consideration for us. I could only dream of a big Airstream with a couple slides and a decent CCC. Shame they don't build such a unit, but if they ever did, I doubt many could afford it. Here's an example: http://www.desertautoplex.com/web/used/Airstream-30-Classic-Single-Slide-2005-Mesa-Arizona/641644/

The River Forest Avaiator is very Airstreamesque and has a decent CCC, but their slides are small and floorplans limited. http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTrailers/Aviator/default.aspx?page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=4579 The price is considerably less than an Airstream, and though they are beautiful, I assume their resale value/durability will be more akin to others in the River Forest line rather than an Airstream too.

Chip

Chip:

Airstream stop making trailers with slides several years ago. They made slides for only two models ( the classic 30 and 34) and each only had one slide.

It seems like Airstream pricing is getting way too expensive; I don't understand it. It may be a market thing.

Around 2010 or 2011 Airstream stop making the 34 with the 31 being the largest now offered.

In 2005 Airstream changed the axles on their 30 and 34 models increasing the GVWR. We had our trailer weighted at the Escapade this past May and we have over 3,000 lbs of remaining ccc. I was surprised. My GVWR is 11,500 lbs.

We purchased our 34' trailer with the intent of eventually fulltiming in it. Although we are still working I have a philosophy that you can wait to retirement to start doing fun things because it may be too late by the time we reach retirement. I know of too many people who reached the magic age of retirement only to drop dead shortly after. All of us have entered this world with and expiration date; we just don't know what it is.

That is why we purchased our trailer 8 years before our fulltiming launch date. However, we do own an RV site and get to use the trailer most weekends during the camping season even if not traveling to state parks.

Dave

Dave

Chip:

The Forest River Avaiator trailer looks very interesting. The tank capacities are similar to mine.

You will find a great trailer as there are lots of them out there.

Dave

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

This is SOOO exciting!

I was on track for a mid-2018 jump off but my situation has changed in the last couple of months and now it looks like I may get to go in mid-2017! Possibly even a bit earlier!

Already started emptying out the house and getting some renovation stuff started to get it on the market possibly as early as the middle of 2016. I've also been haunting a bunch RV shows and sales lots in the last year or so with my notebook and camera getting ideas of likes/dislikes in 5er's. Hoping for a truck/trailer purchase right about the time the house sells.

Had a 27' TT in my previous life (what I call it) and we spent a great deal of time up & down the east coast, so I'm not totally new to camping. Plan to join Escapees for a bunch of reasons in the not too distant future.

I can't wait to get out there and do some park volunteering, lots of boondocking, and maybe even some workcamping. I've told friends/family that I'm going to do a long lap around the US and take 10-15 years to do it and if I feel like doing it all over again when I'm done, so be it! Who knows I might even run into that special lady somewhere!

Sorry, I'm rambling on, but I just wish I could get this show on the road today!

Russ

Russ:

Welcome to the class of 2017.

The launch date will come faster than we think. We've been planning for ten years, so with less than three years left to launch date the remaining time seems short. As we get close we will kick it into high gear.

Dave

Dave

Almost missed it but there's a large RV show in Tampa this weekend! Charge up the camera, brush off my notebook, it's a day trip tomorrow. I WILL be leaving my checkbook at home. Unfortunately.

Finding that every time I go to one of these I learn another bucket full of knowledge. I normally prefer to go on either Friday or Sunday morning. Friday as the crowds are far lighter. Sunday morning as the crowds as generally light and the sales people are tired and will leave you alone. I've also learned to just completely ignore what I call 'gadget alley'. A person could spend an entire day just listening to all the spiels.

I try to narrow down the field of 'possibles' as quickly as I can and get it down to just 2 or 3 candidates. It helps if the (what I call) weekend warrior models are just ignored altogether. Then I will spend about an hour going through the interior in detail making notes and taking pictures of the good/bad/ugly. Then I go through the exterior spaces in the same detail looking at welds, wiring, tubing, fit, finish, etc. It's amazing and shocking some of the stuff that I've seen in BRAND NEW units. Btw, yes, I'm an engineer and in my mind the smallest details really count.

So the education and search continues! Eye on the 2017 ball!

Russ

Hey Dave I have not been on here for a while. We just finished our next trip on our list which was our Yellowstone National Park Trip. I have to say it was pretty awesome. We left at noon on Fathers day with our 8 and 10 year old grand kids. Last time we were there was 16 years ago when the grand kids dad (my son) was 14 yrs old. We stopped in Reno the first night at the Grand Sierra. Very nice RV Park. Then we stopped in Wells, NV for a night and then made it to West Yellowstone KOA for 4 nights before heading back. We ended back in Reno at the Grand Sierra for our last night before getting home yesterday.

The KOA was spendy but with all of the things for the kids to do it was well worth it. and only about 5 miles to Yellowstone. What was awesome as well was 2000 miles round trip and no issues with the rig. Love the Convection Microwave. We didn't fire up the gas stove at all on this trip.

We are still on track for early 2017 take off. I can't wait to hit the road and take our time seeing all there is to see out there. Simply amazing.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

James:

What a great trip. I have not been to any of the national parks except Acadia in Maine.

It sounds like you did a lot of driving (2,000 miles in 8 days).

I can't wait to get out there. We would like to visit 50 of the 58 national parks.

Dave

Dave

James:

What a great trip. I have not been to any of the national parks except Acadia in Maine.

It sounds like you did a lot of driving (2,000 miles in 8 days).

I can't wait to get out there. We would like to visit 50 of the 58 national parks.

Dave

National parks are great. So far we have visited 2. Yellowstone and Yosemite. I would like to visit a bunch more myself. It was a lot of driving in 8 days. But since I still work in retail about 10 days is the most I can get off at once. We have a weekend in July and August planned. Nothing for the 4th of July weekend. I'm letting a couple of guys that work for me have that weekend off.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

Hey Dave,

The show turned out to be pretty typical. I did spend about a couple of hours going through a Jayco 5er (Pinnacle?) that was a front living model. I also spent a good bit of time going through a Jayco Redhawk Class C. Gotta say, I always thought that Jayco was an entry level RV for the first-timer. Now I'm not so sure. I'm also not so sure of my fifth wheel decision. I'm now wondering if a Class Super C with a toad would be a better fit.

Otherwise it was a pretty normal show. As usual the sales people learn very quickly to avoid and ignore me. I ask far too many questions and point out WAY too many issues and flaws with their 'Show Pony'. Kind of funny actually. So the search continues.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all....We're still on track for late 2016 /early 2017. We ordered our new home last Saturday, but we won't have it until around September. I'm so anxious to get it, I'm sure that once it's sitting in our yard it will be even harder to wait another 2 years. We want to list our house in July 2016 and the quicker it sells the quicker we will be on our way.

Here's a link to our future :Dhttp://www.granddesignrv.com/solitude-305RE-gallery.php#All_Images

Hope everyone had a great 4th and was safe as well.

Tumbleweed.....I hope you're right..."the closer we get the faster it will come"! Can not wait!!!!

Gracie's Golden Getaway

Barry and Marianne traveling full-time with Golden Retriever Maggie

2014 Ford F-450 DRW Super Heavy Duty Lariat with

2015 Solitude 305RE since June 2016.

Mandolin57:

Welcome to the class of 2017. We are slowly but surly growing in class size.

Nice looking 5th wheel. You must be so excited. It must feel like Christmas when you were a kid.

It will be hard having it sitting in your yard. Ours is on our RV site that is 1hour 20 minutes away. So we don't see it every day; only on weekends.

Dave

Dave

It's nice to be a part of this class Dave and thanks! Yes, we're very excited! I hate to wish my life away but hope the next 2 years go fast. I'm sure you're all going through the same thing with getting a house ready to sell and so many other things, so maybe with everything in preparation, it will make the time fly. Do you have a time frame in 2017 you are planning to head out and are you planning to workamp?

Gracie's Golden Getaway

Barry and Marianne traveling full-time with Golden Retriever Maggie

2014 Ford F-450 DRW Super Heavy Duty Lariat with

2015 Solitude 305RE since June 2016.

We are planning on putting our townhome on the market in January 2017. We hope to be on the road by May 2017. Next year I need to get serious about getting the house ready to sell - painting rooms, etc.

We are not planning on workcamping. My wife is a nurse and is currently using her nursing background doing medical coding. Her boss told her to work from home on Friday's as her job can be done from anywhere she has internet.

Our plan is for her to work fulltime for the first three years we are on the road. We hope she can stay employed with her current employer. I will be at full SS at that point.

I see you have a golden. We had a golden and my son just picked up a golden puppy last week. They are great dogs.

Dave

Dave

Tumbleweed, I would be interested to know more about your wife's job. I am a nurse too and Bill is eligible to retire in 2018 @ age 64. I have always said that I would quit my job when he retires so we can take off but technically I need to work another 6 years beyond that before I would be getting SS myself. I might consider a job that I could do part time from the RV though......

Patti

"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.

By Gregg Shields at RVHAULERS

“Penny Lane” 2018 DRV HOUSTON

"ABBEY" 2013 smart for-two Passion

"Tilly" Irish Wolfhound/lab mix  ( Good Memories)

• 4 weeks later...

Another month gone by and another month closer to hitting the road.

However, we are not ready physically. How so? We want to do a lot of hiking in the national and state parks and we currently are not physically fit the way we want to be. The good news is we have time to get fit. We will start by walking, riding our bikes again, and using our free weights.

Our eventual goal is to be able to hike for six to eight hours.

Now is the time to start.

Dave

Dave

Archived