Class of 2017

Tumbleweed

Larry:

I see you became a lifetime member during the current offering; congrats!

One less thing to worry about in retirement.

Dave

I didn't have to really agonize over it although; as others have said, it is a little expensive. But, it's done and glad I won't have to mess with it once we are on the road.

Larry

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.

Goals: 2022 - Retire from my CG civilian job, sell our house, and begin full-timing.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey fellow 2017 class-mates. What do you have for travel plans for 2014? Our reservation wall is starting to fill up.

• In the middle of January we are going to a close by RV park (in Nothern California) for 4 days.
  • March 7-10 we are going to Goodyear AZ to visit family and get in a some Spring Training.
  • Memorial Weekend we have reservations in Yosemite.
  • Mid June is our Yellowstone trip with the grand kids.

We are going to try and plan 1 or 2 trips a month. More so 2 in the warmer months. This is going to give us a chance to use our rig and make Mods as we see fit.

This is going to be a great year I can feel it.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

James and Tracy:

We don't have any long distance travel plans for 2014. We are planning on dong the Escapade in Goshen Indiana in May. We belong to the local unit of the Airstream club (WBCCI) and will do about six rallies with the club; four will be in state parks.

Several years ago we caravanned with friends (five RV's in total) to Acadia National Park in Maine. It was great but we had to do it in two weeks which was quick since we all started from and returned to Illinois. Work tends to cramp our RVing but there are trade offs like a paycheck.

Dave

Dave

2008 Airstream 34’ Classic Trailer

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins CTD

• 2 weeks later...

Dave going to the Escapade in Goshen is looking like it's going to be a great time. Wish we could go.

Our 5th wheel sits in storage at Camp Parks in Dublin, CA. We go visit it once a week. LOL. No room at home to keep it. Rents in our area have boomed so keeping it in storage and staying where we are at leaves a lot more money to save and play. Only 38 months til we hit the road full time. I don't want life to fly by but 38 months is not a long time.

USN Retired

• 4 weeks later...

Well January flew by and I didn't get anything done in regards to preparing for fulltiming.

I spent half of the month out of state dealing with a family emergency.

This month we will establish our goals for 2014 related to getting the house ready. We have three finished floors to get ready; one for each year (2014, 2015, 2016) Mostly painting type of work as well as de-cluttering.

Trying to stay focused.

Dave

Dave

Your right Dave January flew by. Our 4 day camping trip went well. Everything is working the way it's suppose to. We had no cell reception at all. We were able to watch the Bronco/Patriots game on our TV using the antenna. We couldn't get the 49er game on the TV so we listened to it on Satellite Radio. Next up Goodyear, AZ to visit family and get in some baseball.

Have a great February!!!!

James

USN Retired

• 1 month later...

Change in plans. Diane and I will be moving things up a bit more. We are on track to go full time in April 2015 so I'm gonna move to that group. Come join me!

Bill

2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus

2012 Honda CRV

Hello classmates. My husband Dan and I are hoping to go FT May 1st, 2017 when I retire at 59 1/2. Counting down and hoping it flies by. We may end up going sooner, as my employer is constantly downsizing, so if they get to me before I get to 59 1/2, we'll just be selling the house and going FT sooner. We're doing a lot of research trying to decide what rig we want for FT. I've been on the forum reading about a lot of different topics. So far I haven't come across anything I wondered about that someone before hadn't already posted. Great to have so many people to look to for advice.

Take care all,

3 years, 1 month, 20 days.

Barbara

Welcome Barbara and Dan to the Class of 2017.

We have the same target date but are not counting closely. We say it's getting close to being three years. Our date is a "soft" date as we plan on putting the house on the market in January 2017 and taking off in the spring.

The Escapees forum is a great place to get information on fulltiming. Choosing the RV rig to fulltime in is a big decision and a personal one. There are many factors to consider. The wealth of knowledge on these forums will help you narrow down your choices.

2017 will come faster than we think.

Dave

Dave

Bill (Pjoe):

Congratulations on being able to move it up. You have just over a year to go.

I'm sure you will have a lot to do to get ready. Good luck.

You must be excited.

Dave

Dave

James and Tracy:

We don't have any long distance travel plans for 2014. We are planning on dong the Escapade in Goshen Indiana in May. We belong to the local unit of the Airstream club (WBCCI) and will do about six rallies with the club; four will be in state parks.

Several years ago we caravanned with friends (five RV's in total) to Acadia National Park in Maine. It was great but we had to do it in two weeks which was quick since we all started from and returned to Illinois. Work tends to cramp our RVing but there are trade offs like a paycheck.

Dave

We just got back from our AZ trip today. It was a blast. Hung out with my Mom, brothers, various nephews and nieces, etc..... Stayed at Cotton Lane in Goodyear AZ. $30 a night military rate. The pull through space was nice. No cable or wifi. I used my Ipone for wifi and it works better than any RV parks wifi hands down. Went to a couple spring training games. Get this, Ric Flair (A WWF wrestler in the 70's and beyond) was at the Padres game. 65 years old walking around with no shirt on. That was pretty cool. The best part of the trip was 1400 miles, 3 different parks, and not a single problem with the 5th wheel. The truck towed that thing up and down the mountains with no problems. Everything worked as it should. We did spot a screw in one of the trailer tires that we need to take care of. We are not using the rig again until May. That was the longest trip so far with our 5th wheel. And believe me I wanted to just keep going.......

USN Retired

Hello class of 2017! We are planning to go fulltime in June of 2018. Our tow rig arrived 3 days ago from Canada, delivered by Gregg Shields (RV Haulers.ca) ! We spent an exciting weekend with him learning all about "Ringo" our Volvo 670 and getting him hooked up to our 5er and practicing loading the Smart car. I got a driving lesson and surprised myself by how well I did driving Ringo around. Learning how to drive while hauling the 5er is next! For the past 3 months my husband has been selling off stuff he doesn't need to begin our downsizing. It will be great to have support as we embark on this adventure. Downsizing will be painful at times I imagine and we will rely on you all to help us transition! 4 years and 2 1/2 months to go!

Patti

"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.

By Gregg Shields at RVHAULERS

“Penny Lane” 2018 DRV HOUSTON

"ABBEY" 2013 smart for-two Passion

"Tilly" Irish Wolfhound/lab mix  ( Good Memories)

Hello class of 2017! We are planning to go fulltime in June of 2018. Our tow rig arrived 3 days ago from Canada, delivered by Gregg Shields (RV Haulers.ca) ! We spent an exciting weekend with him learning all about "Ringo" our Volvo 670 and getting him hooked up to our 5er and practicing loading the Smart car. I got a driving lesson and surprised myself by how well I did driving Ringo around. Learning how to drive while hauling the 5er is next! For the past 3 months my husband has been selling off stuff he doesn't need to begin our downsizing. It will be great to have support as we embark on this adventure. Downsizing will be painful at times I imagine and we will rely on you all to help us transition! 4 years and 2 1/2 months to go!

Patti

Congrats!

I am very envious as our plan is to buy a truck from Gregg also but we are still at least 2 years out from doing that, When you get a chance please post pictures of Ringo.

Larry

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.

Goals: 2022 - Retire from my CG civilian job, sell our house, and begin full-timing.

Larry- best place to see pics right now would be on Gregg's site. Can't miss Ringo, bright yellow! He has a few videos of him also and soon I think you can view us driving him. Bill and I could not get the smiles off our faces!

"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.

Hello class of 2017! We are planning to go fulltime in June of 2018.

Hi Patti!

My husband and I are also planning on early 2018. (probably around April-May) I'm so glad to see another person for 2018!! It makes it seem more realistic! We are also starting to downsize and everything we do in our house, we find ourselves asking whether it's practical and if it will increase the sale value when we sell. We're buying our fiver probably the end of the year when the prices are better. We have a big RV show in Hershey PA and hoping ours (Solitude 305) will be at a good price at that time. Nice to meet you and best of luck getting ready. Maybe we can keep tabs of our progress together :)

Marianne

Gracie's Golden Getaway

Barry and Marianne traveling full-time with Golden Retriever Maggie

2014 Ford F-450 DRW Super Heavy Duty Lariat with

2015 Solitude 305RE since June 2016.

Welcome Piedmontexpress and mandolin57. You can be part of our class - we can span two years; a new graduating class concept.

It's never too early to start getting ready. The time seems to be flying by this year; maybe it's because I haven't done anything to get ready. The pressure is beginning to build even though we have just over three years to liftoff. So much to think about; so much to get ready for.

Piedmontexpress - what kind of 5ver do you have?

Dave

Dave

James and Tracy:

Your trip sounded great. It's making us jealous as we are stuck in this cold snowy winter here in Illinois. The weather has warmed up in just the last several days so the snow is melting rapidly. That is good as our RV comes out of storage in several weeks; the snow needs to be gone.

Dave

Dave

Hi Marianne!

Good luck with the 5 er purchase! We will be not far from Hershey in June this year! Making a trip east to see family in Robesonia as well as vacationing along the way and visiting the DRV factory in Howe, IN. If only spring would arrive so we can start re- outfitting Lexi. I am itching to get inside and clean her up.

Nice to meet you!

Patti

Tumbleweed, sounds like we are in same vicinity. We are northeast Illinois. We managed to get our Starcraft Lexion out of the barn BEFORE the melt in prep for Ringo's arrival but Bill and Gregg made some foot deep ruts moving things around this past weekend! The Lexion will not be our fulltime home. She has all the creature comforts and is quite nice inside but for fulltiming we want better quality, durability and a different layout. We have a few years to research yet but are leaning toward DRV, New Horizon or Starcraft (probably used!!!)

Bill and Patti

Piedmontexpress:

You are looking at quality fulltime units.

I personally like the New Horizon but all are great units.

We are in Chicgoland in the western suburbs. It showed this morning and the roads were slippery but it is now 45 F outside.

Warmer weather is coming.

Dave

Dave

James and Tracy:

Your trip sounded great. It's making us jealous as we are stuck in this cold snowy winter here in Illinois. The weather has warmed up in just the last several days so the snow is melting rapidly. That is good as our RV comes out of storage in several weeks; the snow needs to be gone.

Dave

Hey Dave I spent 3 years near Chicago in the mid 80's when I was in the Navy. I'm a West Coast man so that was quite the experience for me. Though I wouldn't want to live there long time I'm glad I got to experience it.

USN Retired

• 1 month later...

Our target launch date is May 1, 2017. We have three years to go and have completed our freshman year for fulltiming preparation.

I can't say that we accomplished a lot over the last twelve months in getting ready. However, as the time gets closer the higher will be the urgency to get ready.

We will be attending the Escapade in Goshen and look forward to the Fulltiming 101 program.

Over the next twelve months we will begin to get our house ready for sale. We will continue to get our RV ready over the next several years. We have certain upgrades planned for our trailer.

James & Tracy - I see you lived in the Chicago area for 3 years. We are transplants from New Hampshire. None of our children have settled in Illinois; they have located in other midwest states and one is in California. There is nothing holding us here except jobs.

Were excited about meeting other fulltimers at the Escapade.

Can't wait.

Dave

Dave

We start our first shakedown cruise of our new (to us) TV (a week at Big Bend NP and Ft. Davis) a week from today (a little over 2,000 miles). Of course towing our little Aliner won't be a real test of my 08 F-250 6.4, but it will be the fist chance to rest out our load plan for our long bed with our 2 motorbikes on-board that we plan on taking with us when we FT. I think I'm going to need to build a truck topper with enough headroom to ride our little bikes into the back, as I can't find any suitable commercially available ones. I've already built a light weight folding loading ramp that will eventually replace the tailgate. I plan on building a topper that it's light weight, aerodynamic and directs the wind around our yet unpurchased TT we will FT in. Does anyone know of any commercially available, tall aerodynamic truck toppers? If I don't end up buying one, at least I can get some ideas for my own design.

Chip

A bike carrier setup that I saw and really liked was just a normal camper shell with a solid front that was boosted up on a 2x4 and plywood frame about 18-24 inches. They made a pair of rear doors that were hinged to swing out to the side and clip down above the tailgate and below the shell's window. Glue, screws and a bit of paint and it looked really nice.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Though that sounds good, it would not be as aerodynamic as I would like. I plan for the topper to rise parallel to the cab on the sides and rising above it by about a foot near the front, ramping up about 2 feet in the rear, and flaring out on the sides a foot or so wider than the bed at the back to deflect air not just over the top of the TT in tow, but on the sides too. I will frame the top out of 1 x 3s and skin it with 1/4" plywood coated with white bed liner to match the truck. I may even add light weight wind deflectors at the back of the topper extending back a couple feet to further deflect the air as long as they don't interfere with turning.

Thanks, Stanley

Chip

Archived