Parrots in RV's

We have traveled with a Cock A too for 17 years not a problem with fumes. You do have to have a health certificate in many States. We get one every year and keep it in the 5th wheel. I am not a bird fan but wife is so we have one. I am not a fan of travel with any pet. It is however IMO the easiest pet to travel with. They can be very noisy. They live for a very long time.

The bird travels in a cage in the back of the dually when on the road and never makes a sound as long as the truck is moving fast. I think the movement it sees through the windshield is to much for its bird brain and the brain shuts off while moving. It does get confused when going through a tunnel yelling nite, nite and bye, bye when it darkens then giving one big squawk when the light comes back. probably thinks that was a short night.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

The bird travels in a cage in the back of the dually when on the road and never makes a sound as long as the truck is moving fast. I think the movement it sees through the windshield is to much for its bird brain and the brain shuts off while moving. It does get confused when going through a tunnel yelling nite, nite and bye, bye when it darkens then giving one big squawk when the light comes back. probably thinks that was a short night.

My Sunny used to like to perch on the steering wheel at times. My DW said she wanted to drive. She would squawk whenever she saw a large soaring bird. Look out near airports as she would go nuts at the size of the "birds" flying around there.

I plan on buying a TT to FT in that has with a super slide with sofa and dining area. I will remove the sofa and build wall there to make a small bird room. I might make the wall movable so it slides out into the living area a foot or so. I plan on mounting a large screen TV/multi-media center with my surround sound system on that wall with opposing recliners/theater seating on the opposite wall.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have often laughed at the states that banned the Quaker parrot. Sure they stop the ones in cages that come through, but what do they do about the birds in the wild? I am quiet sure that these wild birds can read and make sure they stay out of the states that have outlawed them.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 years later...

We are full timers who travel with 4 Parrot's. They love the RV life. I personally do not think they are any noisier than most dogs. Ours have carriers which we take them for a walk in, but personally I would never leave ours outside by themselves in a cage. There are too many predictors. A dogs saliva can kill a bird.

Travels of the Lipson Chicken Coop

Ed and Patti Lipson
with their 4 parrots

Full timing in a
2008 Powerhouse Coach
Enclosed Trailer
2016 Smart Car

I travel with a budgie, cockatiel, and a maxi pionus. So far this has been only for a week at a time camping trips, but soon will be for the entire winter. They have a customized bunk with a window, set up like a studio apt., and go outside daily in a portable 4x4x6' tall aviary. They have the run of the house when in the S&B and choose to sleep in an open-door cage, and also get outside daily in the aviary weather permitting. They have been buds for 3 years together. The TT was built with their safety in mind, they have a screen curtain on the bunk, and I have a curtained off door (think like an air lock on spacecraft) to the TT that I can open/close in order to enter/exit without a bird able to fly out the door. The pionus also wears a harness so I can get her more flight time. They travel in two cages, pionus in one alone, side by side in the back seat of my truck.

Is it ideal, no, but what I've learned over the years of having birds is that as a species they should never have entered the pet trade as their 'wildness' is always in them no matter how habituated they are to us. That said, they are also adaptable, I have just tried to have their environment include some small freedoms, like a bit of flight.

16' Taylor Coach TT/Silverado tow vehicle

. To locate a particular state veterinarian office, call 1-800-545-USDA and press option “2,” or visit the USDA Web site at www.aphis.usda.gov, and click on the appropriate state." http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-news/bird-legal-issues/birds-and-law.aspx

Chip

Thank you these links, I will put getting health certs on the to-do list....off hand, do you know any states not permitting budgies, cockatiels, or pionus'?

16' Taylor Coach TT/Silverado tow vehicle

• 3 years later...
33 minutes ago, mommy4Jesus88 said:

Does anyone use a travel trailer and take their parrots with them? I am thinking about buying one, but then wondered how you would keep them warm enough driving in the winter? 

Nancy Kissack travels with her parrot but she does it in a motorhome. http://kissackadventures.blogspot.com

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

14 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Wow!  This is an original post from 2013!

The question to which I was responding was only posted an hour ago. Who cares when a post originated as long as someone asks a current question? Apparently it is still an item of interest.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

15 minutes ago, mommy4Jesus88 said:

Um 😐 I just joined today? A helpful informative Reply to the post would be more appropriate.

Welcome to the forums! The only people that I have known who traveled with birds were in motorhomes but I have seen RVs that moved birds into cages in an SUV to travel when towing a trailer. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'm currently fulltiming in a Class A motorhome with mine. During the day her cage is in the kitchen window, but she is free to fly around the motorhome as her wings are not clipped. During travel we set the cage in the floor of the slide, between 2 recliners for safety. If I had a trailer (like I had for many years with my first Sun Conure,) I'd travel with the bird caged in the tow vehicle, where the temperature is maintained.  At night she sleeps in a hall closet (where some folks have their washer/dryer setup) with the door cracked for air and temperature control (both AC and heat.)  Because she is free to roam the MH at will, we cover the backs of the driver and passenger chairs as well as the steering wheel to prevent chewing and poop from damaging these items, as parrots can be very destructive.

We also travel with a little toy fox terrier. Other than being jealous of each other, each vying for our attention, they leave each other alone. I believe my sun conure, Skittles, thinks our dog is her pet too, as she tries to feed the dog daily, taking a few bites out of a pecan (her favorite treat) and then dropping it on the floor for the dog to eat. After all these years, I continue to be amazed at the intelligence of birds.

Chip

Edited by sushidog

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Bj170 said:

I live in a thrity ft rv and i am contemplating getting a couple cockatiels. Are cockatiels going to be too loud 24/7/365? 

Cockatiels tend to chirp  a lot...high pitched and whistle.  But the ones we had did not scream like a Cockatoo or Conjures.  In a small RV, you might be better with parakeets.  Parakeets do not take up as much room as two cockatiels.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

my future trip plans include my two parrots (plus 12 cats & a dog). 

What baffles me is that the starting post and several others were posted by "guests" and it would appear that all of them were by the same person with the first in August of 2013 and the last in March of 2014. I have no idea of how that may have happened as to my knowledge, there has never been a time that someone could post to the forums without first registering and so not being a guest. I wonder if something may have happened the forums transferred from the previous host server to the present one? I am pretty sure that it didn't used to list the author as guest. 

On 4/21/2014 at 10:24 PM, dmalerba said:

I have 27 birds.

This one also is way beyond what I could deal with, but to each their own lifestyle. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

This one also is way beyond what I could deal with, but to each their own lifestyle. 

Nothing to do with camping, but in my younger days, I had over 200 pairs of birds from finches to mccaws.  Just imagine how many I usually had at one time?  LOL, yea, it was a serious lifestyle, especially if the ones I raised did not sell real fast...  all that while I was in the military.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Just now, Kirk W said:

I'll bet you didn't live in the barracks or in an RV?   🤣

Nope... LOL  Had a house and big barn.  Although one time I thought about boondocking in a toy-hauler and bring along a lot of chickens with me.  I'm down to 40 now.... still a lot of work but no, not in an RV... LOL  (don't ask about how many chickens I've had... lost count after the first thousand).

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.