My tips for RVing with Dogs

raytronx

Thanks all. I'll be sure to include bortadellaa when Zoe gets her shots. We already know we will have to put her in doggie day care for a couple of days on one stop.

2005 Teton Frontier Experience 39'

1999 Volvo 610

1988 Suzuki Samurai

2008 KTM 450 EXCR

2009 goofy Weimaraner

Attack life! It's going to kill you anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

:wub: sad to lose sooo loved baby. we ended up with three babies. mix small breeds. we've been in camper on more than off 6-7 yrs

we have a plastic fence all the way round our site. pretty big. and we like to stay in a very relaxed non crowded setting. this campground on santee lake sc it's big sites lotta walk areas & early i can let em run

good travelin! :D

swamped trying to manage one last construction job before retirement

skeedaddle walking dogs &piddlin with rest

we live in our 2005 class a Fleetwood

it'll be coming off it's wheels by the time we're done!

Our dogs are LITTER BOX trained.

We have Chihuahuas.

We place the Litter Box in the Shower and use the Clumping Cat Litter.

Line the shower with a wee wee pad, plus one on the bathroom floor.

Also have a 12vdc vacuum.

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

One

If you take your pet for grooming, any good grooming facility should also ask for proof of at least rabies vacination.

Yeou might want to check into having a titre don. next time rabies vacs are done. It's cheaper than a vaccinaction and proves that past vaccinations are still effective.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

We also travel with 2 dogs, a border collie and an aussie mix. We are workaampers and have to leave them in the camper while we work so we try to spend as much down time with them as possible. They go everywhere with us and love to travel. We made the whole back seat of our truck a bed with blankets and small washable dog beds so they are as comfortable as possible and they are able to look out the windows without standing up. :rolleyes:

36' Elkridge fifth wheel

GMC Sierra 2500

We also travel with 2 dogs, a border collie and an aussie mix. We are workaampers and have to leave them in the camper while we work so we try to spend as much down time with them as possible. They go everywhere with us and love to travel. We made the whole back seat of our truck a bed with blankets and small washable dog beds so they are as comfortable as possible and they are able to look out the windows without standing up. :rolleyes:

Do you have any problems with yur BC or do you work him well enough to keep him happy? Jin gets about 1-2 hrs of outside free time a day and his work so I don't have any of the typical problems you find with a bored BC.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

"Yeou might want to check into having a titre don. next time rabies vacs are done. It's cheaper than a vaccinaction and proves that past vaccinations are still effective."

---

I don't disagree with having blood titers done, but this test for multiple vaccination currency/immunity is not necessarily cheap, and it usually takes two-three days to receive the results. People interested in having this test done might want to find out what their vet charges for the test and for specific vaccinations, and the amount of time needed to wait for the results.

"Yeou might want to check into having a titre don. next time rabies vacs are done. It's cheaper than a vaccinaction and proves that past vaccinations are still effective."

---

I don't disagree with having blood titers done, but this test for multiple vaccination currency/immunity is not necessarily cheap, and it usually takes two-three days to receive the results. People interested in having this test done might want to find out what their vet charges for the test and for specific vaccinations, and the amount of time needed to wait for the results.

Ranger or Rosita,

If you get the titre done, does the Vet issue a new certificate? Good for how long? We have had to show a valid rabies certificate to take the pets into Canada and many State Parks require one, but we have only been asked to show it a few times.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

...If you get the titre done, does the Vet issue a new certificate? Good for how long? We have had to show a valid rabies certificate to take the pets into Canada and many State Parks require one, but we have only been asked to show it a few times...

I was at the vet's today getting the dog's annual checkup. I asked about getting a rabies titre done rather than getting another 3 year vaccination. The vet said that the state will not accept a titre for issuance of a certificate of vaccination.

So, if you are going to have a rabies titre done, best make sure that the state will allow the Vet to issue a certificate of vaccination if you ever think you will ever need to produce one.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

• 2 weeks later...

We travel with a breed that is often banned from campgrounds, we own a American Staffordshire Terrier. Even though our dog is a certified therapy dog and so on we get subjected to the occasional stigma. That said for the most part we have only been to one RV park in our area that flat out posts no to our dog. Most places look at our dog and see how well behaved she is and look the other way. Big or small make sure your dog represents well in the park. I have heard from many a host how smaller dogs create the most commotion in parks and larger dogs seem to be more mellow. So if you travel with your pet remember your pet is speaking for you too!

---

We follow the American Animal Hospital Association's (AAHA) recommendation of vaccines no more often than every 3 years. When the 3 years are up, we will have titers done rather than blindly getting them vaccinated (the titers will be done for only the core vaccines: Distemper, Parvovirus, and Adenovirus). Unfortunately, rabies vaccines are required by law, so a titer showing that the vaccine is still effective, won't do...maybe someday the law on that will be changed.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 1 month later...

Something I just found out yesterday......we've moved, so wanted to take Oliver to a different groomer than the one we had been using. They told us we need to provide proof of all the necessary vaccinations/shots and gave me a list of them. When I went to find my documentation, I realized he hadn't been given a Bordetella vaccination (kennel cough). I called our vet, who is now 40 minutes away, and was told that they only need this if they're going to be boarded or groomed, so it's not a "usual" vaccination that is given. Our former groomer had never asked for any documentation, which I now know is not wise (hence they don't fall into the category David mentioned as "good" groomers). We had to quickly dash 40 minutes to our vet to get him a Bordetella vac in order to have him seen by the new groomer. So, a heads up to make sure you have a Bordetella vac in addition to DHPP & rabies. As stated above, an illness or accident could make it necessary to unexpectedly board your pet while you're on the road, and if you don't have all the vacs, it could be a huge hassle.

Thanks for this post. Excellent info! ;)

HAPPY DAZE!

• 3 years later...
On 4/10/2013 at 9:06 AM, desertranger said:

I've seen a lot of "no dog parks" and those with size and breed restrictions. I won't go to a park that doesn't allow dogs even if I can take Jin in legally.

Does anyone know if the law that protects housing rights for people with semotional support animals would apply to campgrounds?

"The Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 requires the landlord/property manager to make a reasonable accommodation to their policies and allow the tenant to have an emotional support animal. This includes species, breed, and weight policies."

SKP# 136386

Great post.

We travel with 2 Beagles as well.. Faffy and Lulu... 32 and 20 pounds.

This post is of interest because we will be spending a big portion of our time in the winter down south...

Ian.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

On 7/5/2017 at 5:15 PM, Matilda and John said:

Does anyone know if the law that protects housing rights for people with semotional support animals would apply to campgrounds?

"The Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 requires the landlord/property manager to make a reasonable accommodation to their policies and allow the tenant to have an emotional support animal. This includes species, breed, and weight policies."

Your best bet is to consult a lawyer.  Google returned conflicting results.

This says it applies to rental properties like apartments, physical buildings and such.  Zero mention of campgrounds/RV parks.  

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/does-the-federal-fair-housing-act-apply-your-rental-property.html

This one shows a Mobile Home/RV Park owner lost a case based on the Fair Housing Act.  It is not an ESA-related case, so it may not be applicable..

http://www.woodallscm.com/2016/03/rv-park-owner-settles-discrimination-case/

According to this campground's web site, the FHA ESA section does NOT apply to campgrounds.  Look about halfway down on the front page under "New Information".

https://www.mountainbreezecamp.com/

You may already know this; an ESA is NOT covered by the ADA.

Edited by remoandiris

35 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

You may already know this; an ESA is NOT covered by the ADA.

Thank you, remoandiris, for the work you put in to help me on this issue. In practice i go by the general definition of my ESA as a pet except for the very limited coverage allowed by the FHA and FAA. There's room for improvement in laws and policies regarding ESAs however. For instance, i find it absurd that an ESA is not allowed the same privileges on railroads in the United States as they do on airlines. I can't imagine taking Matilda with me on a flight but would sure like to travel with her on a train.

SKP# 136386

• 3 years later...

I'm going out on a trip for the first time that's of any real distance, with my two dogs. Thank you for these great tips! 

A couple of things I added to my to-do list is update their microchip and get them new dog tags, be sure they're both current on kennel cough in case they had to board for some reason. 

:)

Nucamp T@b 320S, Toyota Tacoma

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!