ATV use when and where?

dawgdawg69

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a darn good question BIG-O, I haven't had it on a long trip yet so we shall see. This is all one big experiment. I just hope it works out ok.

Jim...there are no axles under it just a couple of swivel wheels that have shock rubber built in to absorb the roughness. Yes the tires will be turning faster so will have to monitor them.....I usually only travel 60 - 65 with the fiver.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

My trailer is only the single swivel wheel, and its rated for 1000 lbs The dual one was rated for 1200 lbs and I believe that RzR is about 1200 lbs//// My Sportsman weighs 700 lbs.

My hub and tire got pretty hot so it was quite a few rest stops coming to AZ. But I can say that is was a super deluxe hot day also. I also noticed my tire wearing on one side. I wonder if my hitch got welded on square with the world ?

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the fiver out of storage and hooked up the swivel wheel " load extension" (LOL ) , loaded up the RZR and took off for a test drive. I had a friend follow me and we used 2 way radios...he monitored the whole shebang while I drove down some back roads. Pulled into a dirt yard and did a 3 point turn. And the swivel wheel performed flawlessly...leaving for the US on Tuesday. Moab will be our first main stop . Love exploring that area with the RZR.....the San Rafael Swell as well...awesome riding there.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

• 2 weeks later...

We have travelled from Alberta to Moab so far and the swivel wheel trailer has performed flawlessly.....it's working out great as I can back the fiver up. The weather has been cool so nothing is overheating, the bearings and tires run fine..no overheating at all.

We spent a couple of days boondocking in the San Rafael swell area and I have to say that that is some of the best riding we have ever done with the RZR . In my mind it's a must do for anyone who wants some fantastic scenery and trails. I recommend highly the ride to copper Globe Mine as well as the ride to Swasey's Cabin. Stage from jurgensen's flats on the I-70 you can boondocking there.....the 1 mile road is rough though so go slow but lots of people do it. we boon docked up on a bluff above the hi way by a gravel pit...much smoother there.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on our riding.....did some riding at moab which is always a great time on great trails with unbeatable scenery. Then we rode at Wickenburg , boondocking just south of the town. We found some fun trails in that area. Then we went to Quartzsite and rode some trails there. The ride to Dripping Springs is a good one. We are currently in Yuma .

You were at Wickenburg and didn't let me know ? We are at Congress 15 miles away !!

Jim I am contimplating switching my single wheel to duals , can you by chance give me the price of one swivel unit ? and which one would I need the left or right ? I would need complete swivel assembly including wheel.

Jim Spence

Hi Jim,

It would have been nice to hookup with you. Are there lots of places to ride at Congress? Unfortunately we have no internet when we are boondocking in that area....or any area for that matter, our Tmobile hotspot doesn't work unless we are by a big city. Am very frustrated with accessing internet in our travels.

With regard to the swivel wheel...I bought the swivel assemblies from Double hitch and the tires, rims and bearing assemblies from northern tool. I think I paid around $600 for it all. I wouldn't know if you need right or left. Do you know if your present assembly is from double hitch?

Good to hear doing it your self is the way to go. Probably a lot better than anyone you could buy and a lot cheaper.

Thanks Big-o.....we are travelling with another couple and he follows me on the road to watch things...so far he is very impressed with how the swivel wheel tracks and rides. I actually feel it less in the truck than I did double towing with a utility style trailer last year.

The tires and bearings are absolutely no issue at all, they run very straight and cool.

I've been getting quite a bit of attention with the setup. Not from Leo's but other campers.

Hi Jim,

It would have been nice to hookup with you. Are there lots of places to ride at Congress? Unfortunately we have no internet when we are boondocking in that area....or any area for that matter, our Tmobile hotspot doesn't work unless we are by a big city. Am very frustrated with accessing internet in our travels.

With regard to the swivel wheel...I bought the swivel assemblies from Double hitch and the tires, rims and bearing assemblies from northern tool. I think I paid around $600 for it all. I wouldn't know if you need right or left. Do you know if your present assembly is from double hitch?

Trails all over the place Jim several mines but up till now we have been prospecting so pretty much going to same spots all the time but sight seeing will come when it gets to wet to run drywashers. I bought complete trailer from cruiserlift.com so dont know where the swivel wheel came from. I will check into Doublehitch and see what they have. Mine has the single swivel in the center so I think it would end up being the left side setup.

Jim Spence

• 3 months later...

Not much riding going on here at the SB in NH unless you can count bringing in firewood. Got lots of snow and 12-18 on its way right-on. Tell me your out riding the trail to rub it in so I can get my act together and join you sooner than later.

I had one question for you Jim do they get you at the tolls for the swivel wheels?

I haven't been through any tolls...none that I know of out west. I havent been east with it.

• 8 months later...

Hey all, looks like we are goong to be heading over to Texas ....San Antonio , Galveston and then probably over to New Orleans. Are there any places to ride the RZR in these areas?

• 3 weeks later...

We are currently staying in Gold Canyon just south of Apache Junction.....nice trails here. Went on a 60 mile ride yesterday around Montana Mountain....one of the nicest trails we have ever been on.

• 8 months later...

I sure hope you guys are around in a few short years. I'll be ready to go by then and you guys are just the kind of people I'm looking forward to running into out there.

I really enjoyed the thread as I went through it so I thought I'd post just to let you you all know I'll be looking for you out there. It's about time this thread had a little activity anyway....... :)

I'm custom building a toyhauler set up for boondocking. I'll be hauling a ATV and Dual-Sport bike.

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Cee :)

Overbuilt from the Ground Up

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

We hope we're around in a few short years also :unsure: Get that toy hauler glued together and lets get the show on the road ! :P DW and I prospect AZ in the Winter time sure do hope you know how to run a shovel. :huh:;)

Jim Spence

I'm wondering what make/model of ATV (or toy) you guys are running? I haven't bought mine yet but that day is getting close.

I was thinking Can-Am but I'm really liking to new Honda Rubicon (of course with all bells and whistles).

Is it okay to hijack this thread or should I start a new one ......??

Overbuilt from the Ground Up

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

I have a Sportsman 500 Polaris but if you want bells and whistles I suggest the Polaris Ranger with diesel motor and air conditioned would be the best. When you buy figure out where the dealers are located. So you will know the travel time to go get parts when needed.

Jim Spence

Archived