Anyone full timing on 25000 a year?

Max Death

9 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

In 2014 and 2015, our campground costs for paid stays averaged $27 and $29.  In 2016, our nightly costs for paid stays averaged $25.54 (including the cost of a nonresident New Mexico Camping Pass and Passport America membership).  Costs ranged from $5.00 to $57.00/night. This year so far (travelling through Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee) we have had more trouble finding vacancies than any year since 2004. Our nightly average for paid stays currently stands at $33.99 and includes 3 nights at $70/night which is the most we have ever paid.  All of this travel was in the lower 48 and we had no monthly stays. We had at least water and electric at each site,

Very good information thank you!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

In 2014 and 2015, our campground costs for paid stays averaged $27 and $29.  In 2016, our nightly costs for paid stays averaged $25.54 (including the cost of a nonresident New Mexico Camping Pass and Passport America membership).  Costs ranged from $5.00 to $57.00/night. This year so far (travelling through Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee) we have had more trouble finding vacancies than any year since 2004. Our nightly average for paid stays currently stands at $33.99 and includes 3 nights at $70/night which is the most we have ever paid.  All of this travel was in the lower 48 and we had no monthly stays. We had at least water and electric at each site,

That is consistent with our paid stays as well. We have many nights unpaid, but for paid nights that is about right. We sometimes do monthly stays, and average around 450/month there. 

I also agree that it is a little harder to find vacancies, although we always do. But we no longer travel without at least considering reservations. We used to ALWAYS travel with no reservations. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

High Plains Drifter, I've heard worse and wasn't greatly offended. No worries!

Remember: My figures are monthly averages for the year. Some months may be more... some less.

My "camp" fees were listed under "camp/usage permits". Averaging $22/mnth. Annual passes/permits are very reasonable. Not really out of necessity. That's just the way it plays out for my chosen lifestyle.

If you read earlier on in the thread Janis was only spending $12/mnth for 6 months in AZ... nearly half of myself so I don't think it's really all that rare to be able to have very minimal "camping" expenses if it fits your lifestyle.

If you primarily "CG" then what I or others pay wouldn't necessarily apply.

I do move around quite a lot. Every couple of weeks or so, typically, but $75 of diesel is around 250 miles for me. A "move" might only be 75-100 miles, sometimes less, sometimes more. I "goldilocks". If the climate is pleasant I tend not to move very far. If it worsens I may leave the entire region.

Grocery... again... averaged. Some months I may only spend $20-$30... sometimes $200. Although, to be fair, "Eating out $22", "Sport licenses/Tags $37" and ""Bait n bullets" $12" should be included in my monthly "food" total for $151/mnth (I won't mention how much of that is barley pop n' BV). I dive quite a lot in costal areas, hunt big game, fish, do cache trades and take advantage of wild fruits and veggies I run across. I don't purchase much in the way of protein or prepared foods and prefer to freeze, smoke.. or this past year.. have been trying my hand at canning. I most definately don't suffer in the food department. :P

Health insurance I didn't include (as stated). It varies so much and, as stated, I prefer to just pay my penalty each year over carrying health coverage. My choice.

Communications. I don't see that my expenses differ that much from others. They might pay $100+ for a single cellular voice/text/data line/plan. I pay about the same, but only for data with little emphasis (or need) on voice/text. Of course... my equipment costs are exponentially more expense than most folks smartphones. I also take advantage of "pay as you go" services as my communications needs are quite minimal. Ie., a sat data block runs me around $125, however, I usually only have to purchase a block every 3 or 4 months. Now that I have a weboost and a mobley, I expect that time frame to increase some. At least enough to make back my investment (over the life of the equipment). 

I'm not saying my lifestyle is right for everyone. Down to the "nuts and bolts"... my monthly averages are around $600per. The other $500/mnth or so is just what I choose to set aside at the beginning of each year in allocated accounts. As it continues to grow, it doesn't take long to have enough set aside for a new rig.

The question was, "anyone full timing on 25k a year". Yes, you can. If the question was, "can you full-time in CG's and resorts in the same lifestyle we currently enjoy for 25k a year?". That might be a bit more of a challenge, but from previous polls and my own experiences with others, MANY enjoy a very comfortable full-timing experience (in CG's, eating out and paid entertainment) within the 25k-30k range.

I will say... even though my monthly living expenses are low, living the way I do didn't exactly come cheap. Start-up requires quite a chunk of change. From a 6-7k satelite dish, 4-5k solar/power systems, 2k or so in dual generators, another 500ish in water processing equpipment, 2k or so in suspension upgrades to handle the backroads... the list goes on. I consider all of those expenses as simply part of my initial RV cost though. 

Boondocking is a hassle?? I don't see it. I dump, fuel up and take on water every 25-40 days. I grocery every couple of weeks or so as needed during a move. Other than that.. my little rig just ticks along all on it's own. No cords, no concerns about making/meeting a reservation, potentially poor water quality/pressure, crudy electrical or sub-par wifi.

I enjoy all of the modern conveniences all way down to ice on demand. My water is consistently great no matter the region, my power is always clean and steady, the atmosphere always peaceful, the air is always clean, I don't have to "cord up/down" every time I move, I don't have to deal with the occassional rude/noisy neighbors, unruly children or pets off leash... All in all I think I have it more hassle free than most full-timers.

As far as being a "hermit". Not that there aren't a few boondockers that are like that (also to be found in CG's), but for the greater majority... boondockers are some of the most friendly/sociable folks you'll ever meet... that also value their privacy. If that makes any sense to you.

The whole point of posting last years breakdown was simply to show that just about any budget is "doable" and shouldn't deter anyone from entering into a full-timer lifestyle. You also don't have to "hermit-up" out in the sticks or sacrifice modern conveniences to do so. I know many boondockers that take advantage of both worlds. They use a toad or TV to venture into the cities for adventure and play, but retire each night into the "sticks" to enjoy the peace and quiet, dramatically reduce their living expenses while enjoying the freedom that being fully self contained can afford.

I'll step off my box now.  ;)

On 6/12/2017 at 6:19 AM, Yarome said:

High Plains Drifter, I've heard worse and wasn't greatly offended. No worries!

Remember: My figures are monthly averages for the year. Some months may be more... some less.

My "camp" fees were listed under "camp/usage permits". Averaging $22/mnth. Annual passes/permits are very reasonable. Not really out of necessity. That's just the way it plays out for my chosen lifestyle.

If you read earlier on in the thread Janis was only spending $12/mnth for 6 months in AZ... nearly half of myself so I don't think it's really all that rare to be able to have very minimal "camping" expenses if it fits your lifestyle.

If you primarily "CG" then what I or others pay wouldn't necessarily apply.

I do move around quite a lot. Every couple of weeks or so, typically, but $75 of diesel is around 250 miles for me. A "move" might only be 75-100 miles, sometimes less, sometimes more. I "goldilocks". If the climate is pleasant I tend not to move very far. If it worsens I may leave the entire region.

Grocery... again... averaged. Some months I may only spend $20-$30... sometimes $200. Although, to be fair, "Eating out $22", "Sport licenses/Tags $37" and ""Bait n bullets" $12" should be included in my monthly "food" total for $151/mnth (I won't mention how much of that is barley pop n' BV). I dive quite a lot in costal areas, hunt big game, fish, do cache trades and take advantage of wild fruits and veggies I run across. I don't purchase much in the way of protein or prepared foods and prefer to freeze, smoke.. or this past year.. have been trying my hand at canning. I most definately don't suffer in the food department. :P

Health insurance I didn't include (as stated). It varies so much and, as stated, I prefer to just pay my penalty each year over carrying health coverage. My choice.

Communications. I don't see that my expenses differ that much from others. They might pay $100+ for a single cellular voice/text/data line/plan. I pay about the same, but only for data with little emphasis (or need) on voice/text. Of course... my equipment costs are exponentially more expense than most folks smartphones. I also take advantage of "pay as you go" services as my communications needs are quite minimal. Ie., a sat data block runs me around $125, however, I usually only have to purchase a block every 3 or 4 months. Now that I have a weboost and a mobley, I expect that time frame to increase some. At least enough to make back my investment (over the life of the equipment). 

I'm not saying my lifestyle is right for everyone. Down to the "nuts and bolts"... my monthly averages are around $600per. The other $500/mnth or so is just what I choose to set aside at the beginning of each year in allocated accounts. As it continues to grow, it doesn't take long to have enough set aside for a new rig.

The question was, "anyone full timing on 25k a year". Yes, you can. If the question was, "can you full-time in CG's and resorts in the same lifestyle we currently enjoy for 25k a year?". That might be a bit more of a challenge, but from previous polls and my own experiences with others, MANY enjoy a very comfortable full-timing experience (in CG's, eating out and paid entertainment) within the 25k-30k range.

I will say... even though my monthly living expenses are low, living the way I do didn't exactly come cheap. Start-up requires quite a chunk of change. From a 6-7k satelite dish, 4-5k solar/power systems, 2k or so in dual generators, another 500ish in water processing equpipment, 2k or so in suspension upgrades to handle the backroads... the list goes on. I consider all of those expenses as simply part of my initial RV cost though. 

Boondocking is a hassle?? I don't see it. I dump, fuel up and take on water every 25-40 days. I grocery every couple of weeks or so as needed during a move. Other than that.. my little rig just ticks along all on it's own. No cords, no concerns about making/meeting a reservation, potentially poor water quality/pressure, crudy electrical or sub-par wifi.

I enjoy all of the modern conveniences all way down to ice on demand. My water is consistently great no matter the region, my power is always clean and steady, the atmosphere always peaceful, the air is always clean, I don't have to "cord up/down" every time I move, I don't have to deal with the occassional rude/noisy neighbors, unruly children or pets off leash... All in all I think I have it more hassle free than most full-timers.

As far as being a "hermit". Not that there aren't a few boondockers that are like that (also to be found in CG's), but for the greater majority... boondockers are some of the most friendly/sociable folks you'll ever meet... that also value their privacy. If that makes any sense to you.

The whole point of posting last years breakdown was simply to show that just about any budget is "doable" and shouldn't deter anyone from entering into a full-timer lifestyle. You also don't have to "hermit-up" out in the sticks or sacrifice modern conveniences to do so. I know many boondockers that take advantage of both worlds. They use a toad or TV to venture into the cities for adventure and play, but retire each night into the "sticks" to enjoy the peace and quiet, dramatically reduce their living expenses while enjoying the freedom that being fully self contained can afford.

I'll step off my box now.  ;)

Good info sounds like you have figured a way to do it very low cost, thanks for all the detail.  I heard a lady on a video say she pays something like $80 fee to camp all winter in AZ and $225 annually for NM parks which she does in summer.  That lifestyle would keep gas down and campground fees down.  Or I'm sure one could stay all year in AZ and mostly boondock at different elevations.

I wouldn't personally want to take the risk of no health care as a major event like cancer, heart attack, stroke could clean out all my assets and near bankrupt me.

11 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Good info sounds like you have figured a way to do it very low cost,

I wouldn't personally want to take the risk of no health care as a major event like cancer, heart attack, stroke could clean out all my assets and near bankrupt me.

For me, it's never been about trying to keep costs down. It just so HAPPENS that where I like to drop hitch just doesn't cost much. ;) I do move around quite a bit. With the exception of Califederation I'll hit the northern and southern borders and be in just about every Western state each year following the weather. I just don't move that far that fast. Good mileage under tow helps.

Health ins. is a personal choice. I figure... if I can't drive, dive, fly, or hunt... I don't wanna play no more anyway! :lol::lol:

5 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Good info sounds like you have figured a way to do it very low cost, thanks for all the detail.  I heard a lady on a video say she pays something like $80 fee to camp all winter in AZ and $225 annually for NM parks which she does in summer.  That lifestyle would keep gas down and campground fees down.  Or I'm sure one could stay all year in AZ and mostly boondock at different elevations.

I can't imagine just sitting out in the desert all winter, nor spending all summer in NM.  Both nice places for short visits, but I work hard for too many years, did without vacations, etc. so that I can enjoy my retirement.  That means traveling, spending time at great jazz concerts, visiting superb museums, eating in good restaurants, sitting by the pool on New Year's Day enjoying the sunshine with a great bottle of wine to enjoy.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 hours ago, Yarome said:

For me, it's never been about trying to keep costs down. It just so HAPPENS that where I like to drop hitch just doesn't cost much. ;) I do move around quite a bit. With the exception of Califederation I'll hit the northern and southern borders and be in just about every Western state each year following the weather. I just don't move that far that fast. Good mileage under tow helps.

Health ins. is a personal choice. I figure... if I can't drive, dive, fly, or hunt... I don't wanna play no more anyway! :lol::lol:

That's pretty amazing that you can "be in just about every Western state each year following the weather" and still stay under $75/mo in gas, especially as your not exactly pulling a trailer with a Prius..   Even more amazing than $80/mo in food ($2.66 a day).

Problem is you may be able to "drive, dive and hunt" after a major medical condition...but it may take $300k in medical costs to get you there.  But if you have no assets they can collect on, I guess you could go to the emergency room and someone will pay for it, you have nothing to lose.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Even more amazing than $80/mo in food ($2.66 a day).

....but it may take $300k in medical costs to get you there.  But if you have no assets they can collect on, I guess you could go to the emergency room and someone will pay for it.

:lol: Not especially.. $75/mnth @13mpg equates to approx 250mi for me. X12... 3000mi/yr. That's like driving from Seattle, Wa to Tampa, FL. Hitting just the Western states is EASILY doable.

That's the rub. I don't need insurance because I DO have the assets if need be, but would never spend that kind of money on a gamble to be back to full capacity. That's not a realistic expection and I'm not one that's willing to put a halt to my favorite activities because my body won't cooperate anymore. That's what POLST's are for. :lol::D

Just like I never buy extended warranty's. If it fails... I'll pay, but why pay as a matter of course if you need it or not?

It's not my own, but just about sums up "life according to Yarome".

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

Worry not! I'll never cost the working man a dime. :P

4 minutes ago, Yarome said:

:lol: Not especially.. $75/mnth @13mpg equates to approx 250mi for me. X12... 3000mi/yr. That's like driving from Seattle, Wa to Tampa, FL. Hitting just the Western states is EASILY doable.

That's the rub. I don't need insurance because I DO have the assets if need be, but would never spend that kind of money on a gamble to be back to full capacity. That's not a realistic expection and I'm not one that's willing to put a halt to my favorite activities because my body won't cooperate anymore. That's what POLST's are for. :lol::D

Just like I never buy extended warranty's. If it fails... I'll pay, but why pay as a matter of course if you need it or not?

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

One straight line round trip from AZ to WA alone would cost your close to 70% of your 3,000 mileage budget.  And that includes no driving around once you get there to get supplies, provisions, etc...  I'm not seeing mathematically how 3,000 mi a year gets you to every other western state chasing the weather, every year as you say (AZ, NM, CO, WY, MT, ID, OR, WA, CA, UT, NV).

3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I'm not seeing mathematically how 3,000 mi a year gets you to every other western state chasing the weather, every year as you say

That's because you are making a lot of assumptions. What I said was, "just about every". You're making assumptions about how far North, South, East and West I go and that I left from "point A" and ended up BACK at "point A".

Just like with my grocery expenses. $80 average from a store is very low. But it seems you missed where I made it clear that my monthly food bills are highly subsidized with wild game, fresh/salt water harvesting (another $71mnth in licenses/tags to be able to do so), naturally occuring produce and through cache trades. 

This isn't a debate forum though. If my numbers are helpful in some way or other in one category or another... fine. If they don't apply to you or your lifestyle.. that's fine too. ;)

I like (and totally agree) with your attitude/outlook on life, Yarome.  

16 hours ago, Yarome said:

That's the rub. I don't need insurance because I DO have the assets if need be, but would never spend that kind of money on a gamble to be back to full capacity. That's not a realistic expection and I'm not one that's willing to put a halt to my favorite activities because my body won't cooperate anymore. That's what POLST's are for. 

I have a POLST* hanging on the front of my fridge because I don't want EMT's to have to guess what type of treatment I want.

Linda Sand

* POLST stad for Provider's Order for Life Sustaining Treatment. It's your doctor's order for whether or not to treat with CPR, intubation, etc. You get to choose yes or no for each category listed.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

32 minutes ago, sandsys said:

...Provider's Order

Or "Physician Order's". I think they have different names in different states within the POLST paradigm, but it's all the same animal. I think the last I heard there were only 3 non-conforming states and they are all in the northeast. Not my stomping grounds. :lol:

But yeah. Covering that and other interventions, use of antibiotics, tube feeding, etc.

20 minutes ago, sandsys said:

That's what I get for relying on my faulty memory instead of going to look. 

You're good! You think your memory is going? I had mine done in 2010 and yesterday... had to go look at it to remember what it covered and what I had actually put down in the sub-categories. :D

OP, I apologize for the hi-jack. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2013 at 7:55 AM, BrianT said:

$25k/yr is over $2k/mo. You can blow through it and then some if you move every few days, stay at fancy resorts and eat at fancy restaurants every day. We never had any desire to live like that and don't.

Absolutely you can fulltime on $25k/yr. There are probably some reading this right now that WISH they had $25k/yr. As already said, staying in places that don't have high monthly rent, staying longer term, workamping or volunteering can all reduce costs dramatically, as can farmers markets, doing your own cooking and staying in places that don't require huge amounts of heat or air conditioning.

If you have the income, volunteering can offer you a FREE place to park, and that can be one of the larger of your expenses. They generally require several months of work (can't blame them, training and all...). When you're parked at that FREE camnpsite with FREE utilities, you're not spending money on a campground or a lot of money on gas / diesel towing a rig around. A dollar saved is as good as a dollar earned.

Workamping can be even better because you usually have your site and utilities for FREE and get a small paycheck, too. And with the same kinds of savings as Volunteering.

Some people will work a gig like Amazon for a season where a couple who works the long hours can make somewhere between $10k and $15k over the course of 3 or 4 months all the while not paying rent for their campsite. They'll do something like that and then go south and relax in the warm weather for a while, or whatever. Or move on to other workamper or volunteer jobs they find interesting.

Seriously, a person can make it on a remarkably small income if need be. Or they can spend an incredibly large amount of money each month and still run short. Come to think of it, that's not just fulltime rving, that's life!

Best of luck,

Brian

how do you find out about workkamping?? Is there a group or something to find out if campgrounds do it or is it just on a " ask" basis?"

42 minutes ago, Raquel11 said:

how do you find out about workkamping?? Is there a group or something to find out if campgrounds do it or is it just on a " ask" basis?"

I suggest that you take a look at this page to get some general ideas of what we do and where we find it. If you are seeking paid positions, then I suggest that you start by joining the Escapees RV Club/X-scapers and look at their jobs board, or  subscribe to the magazine Workamper News that runs advertising for places seeking to hire RV workers.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 year later...

some here say workamping. i am 58 have 8 more to go first. but that will have had me working more than 50 years of my life ( hard labour stuff). when i retire i do not want to work again.

as to how much one needs to live,  how do you want/need? where do you want to be?  $25,K is doable. not easy in some places. impossable in others.  like said here, be debt free first. save up $ if you can.  forget rv parks. maybe every couple months a week or so. get a gym membership ( nation wide place) $10.usd a month. = free showers. some free camping. pool to swim in . can get out of the heat / cold / bad weather.as needed.

going to boon dock at least 350 days a year. got solar up top? 6-8, 6 volt batt? set this up first. to help save. and one can live cheap. a honda eu gen cost $ but worth it, ( cry only once).

sure we (most) would love to own a prevost. and live in a luxery park. but thats for the rich. or loto winners.  the rest of us get by with what we have. want. need.

1 hour ago, packnrat said:

some here say workamping. i am 58 have 8 more to go first. but that will have had me working more than 50 years of my life ( hard labour stuff). when i retire i do not want to work again.

This is a post from a year ago so don't know if this has been mentioned but workamping doesn't have to mean actual physical work …. or much anyway.  There are even office jobs/escorting to campsites or light cleanup of the campground, watering flowers/lawns, etc.  Sometimes doing something other than sitting at the RV rejuvenates the mind.  :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2 hours ago, packnrat said:

. . . going to boon dock at least 350 days a year . . . sure we (most) would love to own a prevost. and live in a luxery park. but thats for the rich. or loto winners.  the rest of us get by with what we have. want. need.

There's a wide gap between boondocking 350 days a year (no thanks) and owning a Prevost. It's not either-or.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

We don't boondock.  Over 12 years on the road and our expenses are in the $3500/month range.  Some months better, months stocking up our wine supply, not so much.  Everyone is different so the idea should be to do what you can on the funds that you have available.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

6 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Everyone is different so the idea should be to do what you can on the funds that you have available.

There is also a very large difference between surviving on some income level and being able to enjoy life on that same amount. Most of us prefer to enjoy our traveling lifestyle and spend at least somewhat more in doing so. But it just depends upon the person or people. We have friends who "need" to play golf at least twice a week and to go to the theater once or twice for first-run movies. They consider it boondocking if they have to spend a night in a community without at least one of each. For them, it would not be possible to live on such a small amount. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived