National Public WiFi plan

RV_

Folks,

This is one you may want to write your congress critters about. The FCC is proposing a coast to coast public system with faster more powerful WiFi, and coverage, cutting out the cell phone bills. The big telcos are outraged and spending millions on lobbying. Funny thing here is that Google, MS, and other tech giants are for it. This proposal is good for RVrs, good for the folks stuck in the monopoly of the cable companies, and the high cost of communications by cells.

This is one I will start writing letters about. This transcends politics as the FCC solicits publuc comment for every proposal.

Read details here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/tech-telecom-giants-take-sides-as-fcc-proposes-large-public-wifi-networks/2013/02/03/eb27d3e0-698b-11e2-ada3-d86a4806d5ee_story.html?wpisrc=nl_tech

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic also appears in this thread and also in this thread.

This one could go either way. I think I will wait until we see exactly what this will cost and exactly who will benefit most. Something like this could end up making the devices we use more expensive. So like I say, I will wait and see what comes of it before deciding whether to support or oppose it.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Wow, free they say?

The government running something efficiently?

No thanks, think I'll stick with the free enterprise system we have now. No telling how much that free internet will end up costing us by the time all of the, oh never mind.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

Very interesting concept as presented by the article.

I think the article needs to be read before assuming this is about a government run operation, it isn't. And then again just what is it that is free in a "free" enterprise system? I like our competitive enterprise system when it is competitive. Cause when it ain't competitive it sure ain't free, especially for the consumer. But "free" sounds so nice and it sure sells. :D

Cheers John

John & Karen "1/3 - timers"

The best things in life aren't things.

Avatar: Padre Island National Seashore, TX

2008 17' Taylor Coach, Lightweight Trailer, 2050lb Dryweight (axles and tongue)

2007 Chevy 1/2 ton, Reg Cab, 8' Bed, 4.8L, 2WD, 3.23 Lock. Diff., Highway: 25 MPG Solo, 15-16 MPG Towing

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

This is one you may want to write your congress critters about. The FCC is proposing a coast to coast public system with faster more powerful WiFi, and coverage, cutting out the cell phone bills. The big telcos are outraged and spending millions on lobbying. Funny thing here is that Google, MS, and other tech giants are for it. This proposal is good for RVrs, good for the folks stuck in the monopoly of the cable companies, and the high cost of communications by cells.

This is one I will start writing letters about. This transcends politics as the FCC solicits publuc comment for every proposal.

Read details here:

http://www.washingto...?wpisrc=nl_tech

I fall on the side of keeping the government out of anything that isn't national defense or our security. Let me see, they run our railroad trains that they can't keep on schedule and costs as much or more than air travel. The promised that it would be self supporting. Everything they touch that is supposed to be self supporting ends up with overruns that stagger the imagination. There isn't one enacted program that has come in on time and at the projected cost. As bad as cellular and wifi service is, wait until it is "free".

George Mayleben

RV Driving School

I'm kinda glad they started the National Park system and the Interstate Hwy system ain't too bad if you want to drive efficiently. I prefer the less efficient but more scenic Blue Hwys, sometimes the federal govment is just too efficient. :D

Cheers John

John & Karen "1/3 - timers"

The best things in life aren't things.

Avatar: Padre Island National Seashore, TX

2008 17' Taylor Coach, Lightweight Trailer, 2050lb Dryweight (axles and tongue)

2007 Chevy 1/2 ton, Reg Cab, 8' Bed, 4.8L, 2WD, 3.23 Lock. Diff., Highway: 25 MPG Solo, 15-16 MPG Towing

Ham radio licenses are INEXPENSIVE, but NOT FREE.

At present it is about $15.00, good for 10 years, with a Vanity call being a little more $.

Butch Williams, W9MCI

When did this happen? As I recall the fees went to the VEs for processing and mailing the app. Standard call signs have always been free unless congress changed the law. It was part of the law that made HAMS a Strategic National Resource. That happened just after WWII started I seem to remember. Vanity call signs are a gimmick by the FCC to make money. As if they can solve the budget short fall with a few vanity call signs.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

Yes, you are correct, but while the FCC has no charge for the license, a person must take and pass the appropriate test(s) to obtain one.

And, although there may well be some VE teams that proctor the test for free, I haven't seen or heard ofthem doing so. That would be the exception not the rule.

That is the fee (the testing fee) that I was referring to.

Butch Williams, W9MCI

Butch & Fonda Williams, MCI MC9

• 3 months later...

The government set up GPS..no charge..why not WIFI ! Can you image company's charging for GPS signal...YES !

When Garman first came out with GPS, for the first year, we did pay a monthly fee.....it was really kinda funny ...but we loved that green screen. Saved our butts a time or two in the rogue white outs we got trapped in.

Home is where you park your heart, or your tires for the night.

The government set up GPS..no charge..why not WIFI ! Can you image company's charging for GPS signal.

Yes the government set up GPS but not for civilians. The initial project was paid from the military budget. Over time civilians were allowed to access GPS, first as a degraded level, and then at then current full accuracy.

Hard for companies to charge for something free from the government. Now, if the original GPS manufacturers would have had to pay for the satellites, then GPS wouldn't be so cheap.

Just one of those things we benefit from because the military lead the way.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• 2 months later...

I always remember when they say "I am from the government and I am here to help you" There is nothing free from the government

someone had to pay.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

• 4 weeks later...

Have to ask? How is it free? Anything that we as a nation think is free, someone's tax dollars are paying for it. One reason our nation is in the shape its in now. So many people want free free free, and thinking its free. Cut out all this free crap and see a nation grow to what it was before handouts.

Pete

event.png

Happened over 10 years ago. Just got the bill for my renewal. Paid it last time. Gonna let it lapse this time.

When did this happen? As I recall the fees went to the VEs for processing and mailing the app. Standard call signs have always been free unless congress changed the law. It was part of the law that made HAMS a Strategic National Resource. That happened just after WWII started I seem to remember. Vanity call signs are a gimmick by the FCC to make money. As if they can solve the budget short fall with a few vanity call signs.

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'92 Monaco Crown Royal Signature
'02 Jeep Wrangler
'03 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
24' Leonard Enclosed V-nose, Dual Ramp trailer

15433597052_970b68fe6d.jpg

There could be other objectives. You think the govt does a lot of snooping now? Wait until they run the nationwide communication network. They won't have to get permission to snoop on anything. They'll have it all right there in front of them as they will have been the go between for nearly every communication. It's also something they could cut off on a whim when they have another of their little govt shutdowns and poke at the collective sheeple while they put on their little show of tantrums for all to see. What the govt givith, the govt can taketh away.

Yes, it would be great for rvers.

I didn't read the articles. Did the get specific enough to give an idea of what frequencies they'd likely be using or the actual coverage? 100% coverage would be difficult and expensive. The bandwidth requirements would be staggering.

Maybe it would be just as easy to just cc our Uncle Sam on all our communications. They read almost everything as it is today.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

• 2 months later...

It would be a godsend for those who live in remote areas where the internet is limited.

In our remote area of Michigan, there is only one service. A lot of snowbirds live there as it is very cold and a lot of snow. 90 inches all ready this winter.

Here is the problem.

You have to have a phone line. That costs about $40/mo even if you don't use it at all. You must keep it on for 6 months and pay a fee to put it on vacation.

Then the same rules apply if you want internet only the cost is more in addition to the phone.

We are there about 2 months total with time in the spring and fall We are gone for the summer months.

Our problem but you can see the costs of having a phone and internet for us or anyone living there. You have no other choice.

Even the one cell tower doesn't support internet.

I support the nationwide concept because the internet has become a way of life and those in remote areas are put at a disadvantage.

Doug

Archived