Class of 2015

ezdays

So, one update is we are trying to sell our DW manufactured home in a rental community for a similar home in a community where you own the lot and rent much less.....just trying to get all the pieces in place for a simple and comfortable retirement! if anyone seeking an inexpensive home base, check out Lake Francis Estates in Tavares FL.....monthly rent only $35 ...free RV storage, nice amenities

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did a Google search on Lake Francis Estates and this is the first thing I saw.

Link

One of the reasons DW and I plan to sell our house is to get away from our HOA. We would like to stay away from them if we can, but that is getting harder to do. Guess they are the "norm" rather then the exception nowadays.

Mike

We applied for a RV loan with Southeast Financial recreational vehicle out of Texas. We were going to go part timing until retirement then fulltime.

They rejected us. Southeast didn't like our numbers. Ouch!

It's a set back. We need to pay more debt down. Whine! Whine!

Moving forward with paying more debt down and putting off part timing longer. We hope to still fulltime in late 2015.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 31SA

2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

RV Blog: http://seizethedayrvadventure.com/

This may or may not be my first post to Escapees.....

My wife retires from the USFS with 30 years of federal service in spring 2015. I can retire anytime, but will likely always find some kind of paying work to do. We have an investment portfolio of real estate and securities which will supplement her federal retirement and our social security.

I've promised her I'll spend time with her in New England during our retirement, which is her original home (Massachusetts). We've been in NM since 1995 and before that in DC. In New Mexico we've accumulated the real estate portfolio consisting of rental houses and a small ranchette in the mountains... and, I can't ever see myself entirely giving up the US southwest and its wide open vistas, deserts and mountains.

We probably won't full-time 12 months a year, but we do intend to 'full-time' for about 5 - 7 months a year starting out. We have two sons both in the USAF; one's a captain likely to soon be transferred to Patrick AFB near Melbourne, FL and the second is finishing medical school and will be a flight surgeon assigned to Navy squardrons and wings (he's switching to Navy because his wife is now Navy) initially in the Norfolk, VA area. Both are married and will likely be starting their families in the next 3 - 4 years. This is very important to my wife especially... and me also. She wants to be able to be near her grandchildren when they start to come.

Our plan is to rent our home in NM, buy a 5th wheel, I have a Dodge Cummins to pull it, and spend time in southern New Hampshire so she can visit family in MA. She has 3 much older sisters. We both turn 61 this year. We're talking about buying a small 3 - 5 acre piece of land in NH and put an RV pad and workshop/garage on it to use during our time in NH.... maybe May through August each year. Then travel back to NM for fall hunting season and the (slightly) warmer winters than in NH. Some years we may leave the 5th wheel (or whatever RV we then have) in NH. When grandkids come we'd RV to wherever our sons are stationed and spend 3 - 4 weeks near them, say 1 - 2 times a year. This, assuming they're in CONUS. I'm hoping this plan allows us several journeys up the ALCAN highway for summers in Alaska!

I know I may not be a technical fit for this fulltime class of 2015, but it seems to be the closest thing I can find. Also I'd like to offer up a little out-of-the way place in Northern NM to any couples who may be interested in parking their RV on it for a week or two at a time. Of course it has electric and water, elk and deer also.

Welcome to the Class of 2015. Sounds like this is where you ought to be :) !

Wow! What a great life, seems you've done most things right (maybe everything but I haven't met anyone yet.....) and can take a well-deserved retirement. Good stuff.

New Mexico and New Hampshire will certainly give you a lot of variety every year, not to mention all the great country in between.

We take off next summer and head north from Southern California and then may head to New Mexico for the Fall. Might look you up for a night or two of mootch-docking as your location sounds wonderful :) .

Best wishes to you and your wife as you finish up this last year of stationary-living!!

Jodee

We take off next summer and head north from Southern California and then may head to New Mexico for the Fall. Might look you up for a night or two of mootch-docking as your location sounds wonderful :)

My little place is in northern NM near a little village called Lindrith. Find Cuba, NM on the map and then go about 30 miles or so north from there off state hwy 96. Let me know more.

• 1 month later...

We are hoping to be members of the class of 2015 if all goes well. If not, it's 2016. It can't get here soon enough!

Roy

So, we have pinned down a date for retirement: May 1st, 2015. We will then begin work acquiring the fiver/truck, and hope to hit the road by Halloween of 2015!

Can't get here soon enough!

Roy

Fulltiming since 2015, with my beautiful bride, Lori.

2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3 Hitch

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box

:D:D :D Great news Roy! Bill's date is one month before you and depending on successful house sale and rig purchase we hope to be on the road next summer. Exciting isn't it?? There's still lots to do in the next year but it sure can't come soon enough for us.

Was starting to think our class had all dropped out already. Anybody else still out there???

Jodee

I'm still around and planning to retire April 2015 and hit the road. Have been reading and researching a lt. Am looking into a larger TT but ultra lite. Probably will go to the huge RV show in PA in September this year. Really getting excited about fulltiming and can't wait.

Lynn

Hi everyone. We are Bill and Diane. We just left the 2017 class and moved to this one with an April 2015 full time date! Recently found that financially we can move things up a bit so why not? We have the house listed for sale and have started selling some of our "stuff". We own a 2003 Winnie Brave and hope to upgrade to a DP for full time. Recently traded the Murano on a Honda CRV and getting it rigged for towing so things are coming together slowly. We are currently located in middle Georgia for another 13 months then its on the road!

Bill

2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus

2012 Honda CRV

Bill and Diane, welcome to the Class of 2015! It's great you could move up your start date by two years. Looks like you'll be on the road at least a few months before us. Here's hoping everything works out for you and we'll see you on the road in 2015.

Mike and Lorraine

Da?n, How did we get so much junk?? Still planning on hitting the road early 2015, but cleaning out the attic after 41 yrs is a chore. Dw is retiring at the end of April, and me February 2015. Maybe she can clean out the attic. Doubtful but we will get it done.

Can't wait, so ready to go.

Cary

2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC Cummins

2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3

full body paint, Most options except Generator

SKP# 123923

We are still here also! Continue to plan, payoff, and research :). We are emotionally ready. We've started telling more of our family and friends and that is making it real! Most are supportive and only my Mom is a nah sayer:(. Oh well, her loss! We attended he Camper & RV show here in MN in January and only confused us more on the 5ver we want (found more that we loved, we thought we had THE one picked and now more options). We may wait to see the 2015's layouts before deciding on the final one!

Enjoy the cleansing process!

Stacy

Always fun to "see" that others are having fun while still doing the work and wrapping up all the final pieces - sort of like our senior year :) with the excitement and fear of graduation coming up fast!!

My favorite time of year is the Fall and early Winter - but this year I'm anxious for Summer as it may well be our last one in the S&B. Bittersweet sure, but we can't wait!

Jodee

We'll make one last trip to the Pomona RV show this October. I know our heads will be spinning, because we are still debating the whole motorhome vs fiver thing. If we are content with the fiver plan, we can save some money and not have as much debt on Day 1. I just don't want to make a mistake. We intend to stick with whatever RV we end up with, since you lose your shirt anytime you trade up. So, we'll make the call, and then we'll be all in. No regrets allowed! The main thing is that we will be out there living our dream!

Roy

Fulltiming since 2015, with my beautiful bride, Lori.

2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3 Hitch

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box

Well we know we want a 30'-36' DP and have currently narrowed it down to two manufacturers/models but will still attend the Spring RV Show in Pomona next month (then likely again in October) to see if we're missing something. I know what you mean about making a mistake. So many say that you don't buy your home the first time but we would sure like to avoid making another purchase for many, many years! Because we know the kind of "camping" we want to do, we know the set up we want/need to make that happen. We also understand the huge $$ loss when buying a new coach but have no desire to inherit someone else's poorly maintained weekender. We still remain open to finding a perfect used rig with solar and notarized maintenance records :rolleyes:.

We can only research and plan so much then have to jump in with eyes wide open and remember it's just an RV - not a tattoo!

Have fun, the dream is just around the corner.

Welcome to class of 2015! I hope to see you guys on the road....we plan on taking off July of 2015 with a send off going to Sturgis motorcycle rally, then who knows? BTW, when you are in your travels, we have a RV lot with FHU in the Blue Ridge mountains that we rent for only $20 per night when we are not using it!

Archived